Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Tyrawa Solna

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2010
      On Jan 12, 2010, at 11:57 AM, bob4x4fun wrote:

      > The reference to the village of Tyrawa Solna in the recent email
      > caught my attention. I believe my grandmother and her three sisters
      > were from this village, but I have not been able to discover any
      > source of records. Since there appears to be a lot of current
      > activity about records from the area, I thought I would post this in
      > case someone is able to suggest some ideas. (I have posted similar
      > messages in the past, but so far I have had no success).

      Hi Bob,
      I don't know where you've looked for records, but according to my
      Gazetteer of Galicia (by Lenius), Tyrawa Solna was in the Sanok
      Adminstration/Tax district. Its Roman Catholic parish was based in
      Mrzygłód and it was its own Greek Catholic parish.

      Hope this helps
      Philip

      > My grandmother is Celia Sucha, born 1885. Her sisters are: Emilia
      > born abt 1890, Katarzyna abt 1893, and Marya abt 1895. The four
      > sisters immigrated to the USA in the period 1912-1913. They lived in
      > Jersey City, Newark and Brooklyn. Married names were Celia Mamrosh,
      > Emilia Ruzanski, Katarzyna Butch, Mary Goncharuk, then Mary Felstya.
      >

      > Their parents were Paul Suchy and Paraska Chutko. Based on some notes
      > in the immigration records there may also be a brother J….. Suchy
      > (possibly Joseph) who was living in Germany in 1912-13.
      >

      > This is very speculative on my part, but the Suchy/Chutko family may
      > have also had connections to family in the areas of Ropki, Wysowa and
      > Blechnarka.
      >

      > In addition to any specific ideas, I would be also interested in
      > learning about any other Tyrawa Solna family connections to Jersey
      > City in the early 1900's.
      >

      > Bob Breen, Ocean County, New Jersey

    • bob4x4fun
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2010
        Thanks to a number of inputs from Mike Buryk. I have a plan to start the process of getting records from the Przemysl Archives. Since I neither speak or write Polish this will be a bit of an adventure, but looks doable

        These are the Greek Catholic records available at the Przemysl Archives for Tyrawa Solna.

        Tyrawa Solna marriage 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933
        Tyrawa Solna birth 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933
        Tyrawa Solna death 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933

        Another item Mike discovered is evidently the mysterious brother of my grandmother, returned to Tyrawa Solna in the mid 1930's, possibly in conjunction with the death of the parents. Although many things have happen in the area in the past 75 years, that means it is possible there may be relatives there.

        I have the name of a Jan Suchy, Blonie Street, Sanok. Now it's probably a long shot that we are related, but for the price of a few stamps it's worth me writing. I will write a short letter in English and include a computer generated Polish version.

        My question is whether anyone can provide me some inputs about the address that I have. I assume without a house number it is incomplete. Is there any source to get an address with a house number? How should I address the envelope to increase the chances that someone might try to deliever even this incomplete address? Do I need to address it in both english and polish?

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 15, 2010
          Bob,

          A few suggestions.

          It would be much better to send a letter in Polish to your possible
          relative. Do not send a computer generated translation to anyone. That
          will just confuse people. Computer generated translations do _not_ do
          an acceptable job when it comes to conversational Polish/English. Your
          message will be lost.

          There are numerous online Polish/English translation guides that give
          you sentences to use when writing to family, churches and archives. It
          is important when you write to churches and archives that you be short
          and to the point. No stories, just the facts you have which help a
          researcher find more information for you.

          "Polish Roots the Polish Genealogy Source":
          http://polishroots.org/Resources/letters_polish/tabid/294/Default.aspx

          PGSA: http://www.pgsa.org/EducationalCenter/letterwriting.php

          You can write in English to civil archives such as the Przemys~l Civil
          Archives, but again, the letter must be short and to the point. Be
          aware that any responses you receive will be in Polish.

          Include your email address in all correspondence. Do not hand write
          anything. Always use your computer so the words are typewritten, easy
          to read. When you write to Jan Suchy include a copy a photo of your
          relative who immigrated to the U.S. who might also be related to Jan.

          I strongly suggest you write in Polish to individuals. The easier you
          make it for someone in Poland to read your letter, the more likely you
          are to receive a response. It is very important that you convey that
          all you are interested in is finding family and establishing a
          relationship. You want nothing else.

          If you live near a Polish community or a college that teaches Polish
          or has a Polish history department of some sort perhaps you can find
          someone to translate a letter (for Jan) for you into Polish.

          When writing to an individual _always_ address the envelope, "to the
          family of _______". That way if anyone from that family still lives in
          the house, they'll open the letter. If the letter is addressed to
          someone who is deceased, the letter may be thrown away. Also, in small
          villages, the postmaster is more likely to deliver the letter to the
          correct house if the addressee has moved.

          This link is to an online Polish telephone book. You will need to at
          least know the village or city however:
          http://www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com/index.php

          I checked and there are two Jan Suchy living on Bl~onie Street in
          Sanok. No house number is listed for privacy issues however, there are
          two phone numbers listed. I don't want to type them here so you'll
          have to get them from the web site.
          In the box: Miasto, type Sanok
          In the box: Nazwisko, type Suchy
          then hit Szukaj Telefonu or hit ENTER on your keyboard

          You'll have to scroll down to see the returns.

          It would be very helpful to others doing research in Tyrawa Solna (now
          and in the future) if you would post your responses when you receive them.

          Debbie

          bob4x4fun wrote:
          > Thanks to a number of inputs from Mike Buryk. I have a plan to start the process of getting records from the Przemysl Archives. Since I neither speak or write Polish this will be a bit of an adventure, but looks doable
          >
          > These are the Greek Catholic records available at the Przemysl Archives for Tyrawa Solna.
          >
          > Tyrawa Solna marriage 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933
          > Tyrawa Solna birth 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933
          > Tyrawa Solna death 1784-1846, 1877-1896, 1914-1929, 1933
          >
          > Another item Mike discovered is evidently the mysterious brother of my grandmother, returned to Tyrawa Solna in the mid 1930's, possibly in conjunction with the death of the parents. Although many things have happen in the area in the past 75 years, that means it is possible there may be relatives there.
          >
          > I have the name of a Jan Suchy, Blonie Street, Sanok. Now it's probably a long shot that we are related, but for the price of a few stamps it's worth me writing. I will write a short letter in English and include a computer generated Polish version.
          >
          > My question is whether anyone can provide me some inputs about the address that I have. I assume without a house number it is incomplete. Is there any source to get an address with a house number? How should I address the envelope to increase the chances that someone might try to deliever even this incomplete address? Do I need to address it in both english and polish?
          >
          > Bob Breen - Ocean County, New Jersey
          >

          > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "bob4x4fun" <bob4x4fun@...> wrote:
          >> The reference to the village of Tyrawa Solna in the recent email
          >> caught my attention. I believe my grandmother and her three sisters
          >> were from this village, but I have not been able to discover any
          >> source of records. Since there appears to be a lot of current
          >> activity about records from the area, I thought I would post this in
          >> case someone is able to suggest some ideas. (I have posted similar
          >> messages in the past, but so far I have had no success).
          >>

          >> My grandmother is Celia Sucha, born 1885. Her sisters are: Emilia
          >> born abt 1890, Katarzyna abt 1893, and Marya abt 1895. The four
          >> sisters immigrated to the USA in the period 1912-1913. They lived in
          >> Jersey City, Newark and Brooklyn. Married names were Celia Mamrosh,
          >> Emilia Ruzanski, Katarzyna Butch, Mary Goncharuk, then Mary Felstya.
          >>

          >> Their parents were Paul Suchy and Paraska Chutko. Based on some notes
          >> in the immigration records there may also be a brother J….. Suchy
          >> (possibly Joseph) who was living in Germany in 1912-13.
          >>

          >> This is very speculative on my part, but the Suchy/Chutko family may
          >> have also had connections to family in the areas of Ropki, Wysowa and
          >> Blechnarka.
          >>

          >> In addition to any specific ideas, I would be also interested in
          >> learning about any other Tyrawa Solna family connections to Jersey City in the early 1900's.
          >>

          >> Bob Breen, Ocean County, New Jersey

        • Roman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 15, 2010
            Bob,

            Błonie is a fairly short street in Sanok, only a few hundred meters
            long. It is in a residential area not far from the Jagiellonski Hotel
            with which some of us are familiar.

            I doubt that you will have trouble if you just name the street in your
            address.

            Roman

            On 1/15/2010 12:19 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:
            > Bob,
            >
            > When writing to an individual _always_ address the envelope, "to the
            > family of _______". That way if anyone from that family still lives in
            > the house, they'll open the letter. If the letter is addressed to
            > someone who is deceased, the letter may be thrown away. Also, in small
            > villages, the postmaster is more likely to deliver the letter to the
            > correct house if the addressee has moved.
            >
            > This link is to an online Polish telephone book. You will need to at
            > least know the village or city however:
            > http://www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com/index.php
            >
            > I checked and there are two Jan Suchy living on Bl~onie Street in
            > Sanok. No house number is listed for privacy issues however, there are
            > two phone numbers listed. I don't want to type them here so you'll
            > have to get them from the web site.
            > In the box: Miasto, type Sanok
            > In the box: Nazwisko, type Suchy
            > then hit Szukaj Telefonu or hit ENTER on your keyboard
          • michaelburyk
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2010
              Sure. Just didn't want to weigh down the list with a ton of info about Tyrawa Solna which is out of the BT area.

            • koso2@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 18, 2010
                How much is this telephone call? It seems there is a bank to pay. I am not calling yet I can not understand yet
                what is written in my step-father's address book
                This was written sometime from 1951 to 1981 when he lived in US and then died. (He was originally from Tywara Solna. His name- Petro Karas 12 July 1919 birth)

                Emilia Gorniak
                wies. Potuli (niec)
                pocr. Ptoty or Ploty
                pow. Lobez or Tobez/Fobez?
                woj. Szczecin
                Poland

                Banit Katarzyna
                wies. Modlimawo
                po-ta Wicimice
                pow. Gryfice
                woj. Szczecin, Poland

                I know Szczecin is the larger area, probably, voivodeship, and pow. is powiats-like county, and smaller than that is gminas. Although some cities are powiats, also.

                I do not know which to put in the boxes for Miasto and Ulica. Nazwisko must be surname?
                Helena

                B��onie is a fairly short street in Sanok, only a few hundred meters

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 18, 2010
                  Helena,

                  Can you scan the page of your step-father's address book and post it
                  to the Bukowsko Triangle FILES?

                  As for what you have written below regarding Emilia Gorniak and
                  Katarzyna Banat. Is that information taken from your step-father's
                  address book or from the online Polish phone book?

                  Szczecin is a large city but it was also a wojewo~dztwo (voivodship)
                  (until 1999). Sort of like one of the states in the U.S.; "in charge"
                  of many powiats.

                  A powiat is smaller and similar to a U.S. county; "in charge" of many
                  gminas.

                  A gmina is smaller yet and is also similar to a U.S. county; "in
                  charge" of several villages/cities/towns.

                  pocz(ta) is post office (some villages do not have their own post
                  offices so their post office is in a nearby village.

                  A miasto is a town/city

                  Ulica is street name
                  Nazwisko is surname

                  Just wondering if you've ever heard the surname, Banat, pronounced?
                  It's possible the "T" is really a Polish "L" with a slash through it
                  (L~) which would change its pronunciation and spelling.

                  Debbie

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 18, 2010
                    Helena,

                    I forgot to respond to the first part of your email. I'm sorry.
                    I'm not sure what telephone call you're asking about. The site I
                    listed http://www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com/index.php
                    is only the Polish telephone book. You can't make phone calls through
                    that web site. Any phone calls would be made from your own phone. Of
                    course, you'd need to speak Polish. I suggest you make contact with
                    relatives in Poland via email/letters before you make any phone calls.

                    Debbie

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 18, 2010
                      No, I don't have a scanner. Although, that is a good idea. Banit - was printed by my stepfather. Ukrainian but could read Polish I think and German.

                      Yes, I see that letter that I thought was a 'T'. L~obez if that is how you write it using the keyboard. It is a pow.
                      Then ther is PL~oty.

                      No , I do not know how to pronounce Banit. But he printed Banit.

                      I just found an address for a Banit in Ohio in his book- ah a clue. I will try calling tomorrow.

                      A new find also-
                      Karas Spirydon
                      wies. Gostyn
                      p.ta Pl~oty
                      pow.Gryfice
                      woj. Sczecin Poland

                      also
                      Gorniak Emilia
                      wies. Potuliniec
                      Pocr. Pl~oty
                      pw L~obez
                      mo Szczecin Poland. Helena

                      koso2@... wrote:
                      > How much is this telephone call? It seems there is a bank to pay. I am not calling yet I can not understand yet
                      > what is written in my step-father's address book
                      > This was written sometime from 1951 to 1981 when he lived in US and then died. (He was originally from Tywara Solna. His name- Petro Karas 12 July 1919 birth)
                      >
                      > Emilia Gorniak
                      > wies. Potuli (niec)
                      > pocr. Ptoty or Ploty
                      > pow. Lobez or Tobez/Fobez?
                      > woj. Szczecin
                      > Poland
                      >
                      > Banit Katarzyna
                      > wies. Modlimawo
                      > po-ta Wicimice
                      > pow. Gryfice
                      > woj. Szczecin, Poland
                      >
                      > I know Szczecin is the larger area, probably, voivodeship, and pow. is powiats-like county, and smaller than that is gminas. Although some cities are powiats, also.
                      >
                      > I do not know which to put in the boxes for Miasto and Ulica. Nazwisko must be surname?
                      > Helena

                    • Bob Breen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 22, 2010
                        Folks: As a result of Mike Buryk's previous suggestions, I am now in possession of my grandmother Cecila Suchyj's 1885 birth/baptism record from Tyrawa Solna. That record confirms the names of her parents, whcih I had, and provides me the names of her grand parents, which I did not know. I was also able to obtain 16 other Suchyj birth records from the Przemyslu Archives. Among the Surnames are: Suchyj, Chamulak, Tyklo, Mayko, Chutko, Kiczor, Gorulestyk, Leykosa, Gilyk, Zubtosmia, Banik, Kadubec -- I'm sure I have miss spelled a number of these, the handwriting is hard to decipher. However, if anyone has a connection to one of these names, in particular in New Jersey, I would be interested in talking.

                        It cost me about $100 for the archives to research Suchyj births between 1877-1896 and mail me copies. I was able to send them requests in English, they responded in Polish. I had to wire the money for the records. I will be going back for more information.

                        I'm not sure if the Bukowsko Triangle wants to annex some more territory, but between my interest in Tyrawa Solna and Mike's interest in Siemuszowa we are building a data base of information.

                        My thanks to all from this group who have provided ideas and suggestions for researching in present day Poland.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 22, 2010
                          Bob,

                          In the interests of accurate transcription of the Polish names listed in
                          your note, it might be a good idea to post images of the documents you
                          obtained so others can help you get the right spelling.

                          Roman

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 23, 2010
                            On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:29 PM, Bob Breen wrote:

                            > Folks: As a result of Mike Buryk's previous suggestions, I am now in
                            > possession of my grandmother Cecila Suchyj's 1885 birth/baptism
                            > record from Tyrawa Solna. That record confirms the names of her
                            > parents, whcih I had, and provides me the names of her grand
                            > parents, which I did not know. I was also able to obtain 16 other
                            > Suchyj birth records from the Przemyslu Archives. Among the Surnames
                            > are: Suchyj, Chamulak, Tyklo, Mayko, Chutko, Kiczor, Gorulestyk,
                            > Leykosa, Gilyk, Zubtosmia, Banik, Kadubec -- I'm sure I have miss
                            > spelled a number of these, the handwriting is hard to decipher.
                            > However, if anyone has a connection to one of these names, in
                            > particular in New Jersey, I would be interested in talking.
                            >
                            > It cost me about $100 for the archives to research Suchyj births
                            > between 1877-1896 and mail me copies. I was able to send them
                            > requests in English, they responded in Polish. I had to wire the
                            > money for the records. I will be going back for more information.
                            >
                            > I'm not sure if the Bukowsko Triangle wants to annex some more
                            > territory, but between my interest in Tyrawa Solna and Mike's
                            > interest in Siemuszowa we are building a data base of information.
                            >
                            > My thanks to all from this group who have provided ideas and
                            > suggestions for researching in present day Poland.

                            Bob,
                            Congratulations and thanks for sharing the success story. It sounds
                            like you hit the jackpot.

                            I second Roman's suggestion one posting the images to where we can all
                            have a look. If you like, email them to me and I'll make them
                            available. You can send the best quality you have; size is not an issue.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 23, 2010
                              On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:29 PM, Bob Breen wrote:

                              > I'm not sure if the Bukowsko Triangle wants to annex some more
                              > territory, but between my interest in Tyrawa Solna and Mike's
                              > interest in Siemuszowa we are building a data base of information.

                              I think the borders of the BT are reasonably well fixed at this point,
                              sloppy though they may be. Nevertheless, discussions of Tyrawa Solna,
                              Siemuszowa and the like are welcome here. They're not at all far away
                              from the BT and research techniques, history, etc. are bound to be
                              similar.

                              Besides, if enough discussion about Tyrawa Solna & Siemuszowa occurs
                              here, you might attract more researchers. If you can reach critical
                              mass, you could form your own mailing list and subscribe to both that
                              one and the BT. =) That would be the best possible outcome.

                            • koso2@earthlink.net
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 19 1:49 PM
                                My step father also comes from Tyrawa Solna- Karas paternal line ,
                                Zablotna - maternal Helena

                                > Text inserted by Panda IS 2010:
                                >
                                > This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail
                                http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_2388&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20
                                Settings\NetworkService\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security
                                \Panda%20Internet%20Security%202010\AntiSpam