Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Re: Andrzej Dzugan -Sanok 1890's

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
      David,

      Just my two cents. I have a very difficult time _not_ grabbing every
      family member I come across! I tend to follow every line as far as I
      can thus accumulating hundreds (thousands?) of distant cousins. This
      has allowed me to meet and get to know Polish relatives I never would
      have otherwise, from all over the world!

      In my experience it is very unusual for a family to only have two
      children. I would suggest you look for more siblings of Andrzej and
      Daniel.

      In looking over the translation (computer generated) you provided, I
      urge you to get a better translation and follow-up on what the archive
      suggested/presented. I don't read Polish but it sure looks to me like
      there's information out there for you.

      LDS Family History Library Catalog: I used these microfilms for years
      for U.S. and Poland records. Except for my Bukowsko line, I was able
      to go back hundreds of years with 3 other family lines _without_ going
      to Poland! I have a drawer with my name on it at my local FHC loaded
      with "my" films on indefinite loan.

      I use ancestry.com often. It is good for U.S. records and probably
      for some other countries, but not Poland. LDS still holds the award
      in this category.

      It has been proven that some Passenger Arrival Records for the port of
      New York can be found on the Ellis Island site (use Stephen Morse'
      search engines) when they can't be found on ancestry.com and vice versa.

      Happy New Year.

      Debbie

    • Sjmaher5697@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
        I'll add my own two cents with these: my mom and her bunch came in thru
        Canada (St. Alban's List). Don't overlook other sources........and ...... I
        expected four siblings of my grandmother....there were 10!!! Who knew?!? I
        have found very few older Polish families with only 1, 2 or 3 kids....keep
        looking. Sandy

        In a message dated 1/1/2010 1:22:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        daveg@... writes:

        David,

        Just my two cents. I have a very difficult time _not_ grabbing every
        family member I come across! I tend to follow every line as far as I
        can thus accumulating hundreds (thousands?) of distant cousins. This
        has allowed me to meet and get to know Polish relatives I never would
        have otherwise, from all over the world!

        In my experience it is very unusual for a family to only have two
        children. I would suggest you look for more siblings of Andrzej and
        Daniel.

        In looking over the translation (computer generated) you provided, I
        urge you to get a better translation and follow-up on what the archive
        suggested/presentedsuggested/presented<WBR>. I don't read Polish but i

      • koso2@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
          Philip - What is BT? Sorry, if questions seems so basic but I am working on genealogy 6 hrs a day it seems. So I am serious. I recently acquired ancestry.com and am AMAZED at that for one starting out here in US. It seems invaluable in deciphering the several possible surname spellings of Polish or Ukrainian names.

          Note:
          www.familysearch.org is available to anyone - you need not be an LDS member to access this search. Helena

          On Dec 31, 2009, at 7:41 PM, max jojo wrote:

          > Hi Philip:
          >
          > Yes, I did the search on Ellis Island records 5 years ago and got
          > the same results as you did, but those other people if possible
          > would be somehow related to my grandfather Andrzej Dzugan would be
          > so far removed that I would think they would have to be some very
          > distant cousins to my great, great grandfather Nicolai Dzugan.My
          > grandfather Andrezej's father Daniel only had one brother Daniel who
          > left Austria to live in Canada. That is why I only wanted to
          > concentrate on just my grandfather Andrzej, his brother Daniel,
          > their father Daniel and their grandfather Nicolai. Maybe I'm
          > defeating the whole purpose to find ancestry since it appears that
          > from what I understand from this group there seems to a large
          > number of people the family name of Dzugan (Jugan, Jugin).

          Oh, that's tough luck. Fortunately my surname (Semanchuk, Semanczyk,
          ����������������) is uncommon. But I understand your plight because I
          am also descended from Bon~czaks and that's a mess because there are
          zillions of them in the BT.

          I'm not 100% sure I understand what you wrote above. "My grandfather
          Andrezej's father Daniel only had one brother Daniel..." That sounds
          to me like Daniel had a brother named Daniel. Did you mean that
          *Andrezej* had only one brother named Daniel?

          In any case I'll play Devil's advocate and ask you this: how do you
          know that Daniel was the only sibling? In my research I've found
          siblings cropping up long after I thought I'd found them all. It's
          just a thought.

          > Has anyone had any luck with finding ancestry through the files that
          > the Mormon Church maintains or other services such as ancestry.com
          > and/or heritage.com?

          I've had luck looking through LDS microfiche and also on ancestry.com.
          I don't have an ancestry subscription but once in a while they open
          their doors to everyone for a limited time and that's been my only
          exposure to it.

          Looking through LDS microfiche is time consuming but there's no
          substitute for it. You're the best qualified person to look for names
          & places related to your ancestry. Even the best-trained and most well-
          intentioned transcriber will make mistakes when digitizing records.
          You're better equipped to recognize Dzugan where someone else might
          see Pzugan.

          Good luck

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
            On Jan 1, 2010, at 7:11 PM, koso2@... wrote: