Book - A Village Without Solidarity

  • elstonwe@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2009
      A while back, someone on this list mentioned this book, A Village Without Solidarity, Polish peasants in years of crisis. I have just finished reading it and I found it exceptional for its information. It is a sociological fieldwork study written by a gentleman ,C.M. Hann ,who is a Cambridge scholar. The study is about the village, Wislok, which is very near Bukowsko. It was done in 1981 and represents the happenings in the society within the village post WWII until 1981, through the communist era and collectivization or not. Chapter 2 would be especially interesting to those of Lemko ancestry, as I am. I am glad to have it in my library and appreciate whoever it was for mentioning it on the list.

    • Marie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2009
        Hi Gloria, That was me who mentioned the book. I found the book thru the Penn State University Library. My husband works for PSU. I have also found that Harvard University has been doing extensive research on the Rusyn culture/history. Their archives are open to the public from what I understand. I have never been there but would like to go.

        I do have a questions for you on your Lemko research. My grandmother was born in Przybyszow, born in 1896. From what I understand the records are lost from about 1875 to the late 1800's. I have found LDS records but I believe it was up to 1850. Have you had any luck? Because of the lack of records I have been concentrating on records in the US.

        Marie

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2009
          Marie, Many thanks again for suggesting the book. It is always good to get another perspective on life in the area of my ancestors.

          The records I had access to for Dudynce only went to 1876. In order to make a connection between my grandmother and the filmed records, I hired a Polish genealogist who found information in civil records. I believe that Phillip noted on his website that there are civil records for Dudynce in the Bukowsko archive for more recent times. Fortunately for me the genealogist found my great grandmother (she was married twice so perhaps that made it easier to find her) That made the connection for me to the filmed records.

          For my other two ancestral villages, one had records filmed by the FHL and there I found my grandfather's birth, the other had no records filmed so I hired that same genealogist to search. I had some prior correspondence with the Prezemyslu archives and they had found some information for me but it took 6 months to get a reply. I have gotten back to the early 1800s in two lines and that will probably be as far back as I can go. I do know that in the 1787 cadastral records, my family surnames are listed for those villages.

          Gloria
          -------------- Original message from "Marie" <meh58@...>: --------------