Re: [bukowsko_triangle] WZBR (Wolica, Z boiska, Bełchowka and Ratnawica) update

  • fwegerson@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2009
      Philip / Debbie,

      Norman Davies wrote in his book God's Playground: A History of Poland that "Galicia could fairly claim to be the poorest province in Europe. Galicia had the highest birth-rate and the highest death-rate, together with the lowest rate of growth and lowest life expectancy ... (and) Galicia by 1890 was in a worse predicament than Ireland at the start of the potato famine." According to Wikipedia.com "...life expectancy was estimated to be 27 years for men and 28.5 for women as compared to 39 and 41 in France and 40 and 42 in England."

      Until I read about Philip's calculations (below), I had always wondered about the accuracy of the Wikipedia article.

      Someone else in BT (name ???) recently asked for recommended readings on life as it was during and between WWI and WWII. Norman Davies' book(s) are as detailed and as accurately written as anything I've come across.

      Has anyone (besides me) read The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Dianne Ackerman? An excellent story about survival in Warsaw 1939-1946.

      There is an on-line book written by a young Jewish man who escaped from the Sanok Ghetto and eventually survived the war. This book provides a different perspective on life in Sanok during those tragic years. Here's the link.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=-TcoxKnI5lEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ordeal+and+deliverance&sig=EbFg20vuhSfKIlaXkqxyxMQ2_18

      Frank
      Brentwood, TN