Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Where is this guy going?

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
      On Oct 23, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

      > Philip,
      >
      > And how is that pronounced using English phonetics?

      The J sounds like a Y:

      juniata = yoo-nee-AH-ta

      According to Wikipedia, "The word 'Juniata' is a corruption of the
      Iroquoian word 'Onayutta,' meaning 'Standing Stone.'"

      > Philip Semanchuk wrote:
      >> On Oct 22, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Ann Poslosky wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello group,
      >>>
      >>> Does anyone have an idea of what the name of the town Jan Zytka,
      >>> line 19, is going to? It appears he is from Bukowsko or do you see
      >>> something different?
      >>>
      >>> I grew up in Pa., but I'm stumped. It does almost look like
      >>> Minersville, except for the beginning of the name.
      >>>
      >>> http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7488&path=1902.03.18.Rhein.37&sid=&gskw=Jan+Zytka
      >>
      >> Anne,
      >> I don't have an Ancestry subscription so I can't see that, but it's
      >> the same as this manifest, no?
      >>
      >> http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=102737110489
      >>

      >> That handwriting rates pretty high on the scribble-meter.
      >> Nevertheless, having gone to college with a bunch of guys from
      >> Juniata
      >> county, I can spot "Juniataville" in line 19, column 11. (Surprise
      >> surprise, that's a coal mining town.)
      >>
      >> Finally, I put my college education to use! ;)
      >>
      >> My $.02

    • Ann Poslosky
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
        Philip,

        Thanks, yes the Ellis Island site manifest is the same as the one from Ancestry.  (I have a short term subscription).  Thanks for your read on it....worth much more than 02 cents, too.
        Never heard of Juniativille; but, have heard of Juiata...one of my high school teachers graduated from Juniata College?  And, I did not know it was a mining town, not surprised though.  Thank you Philip.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
          Philip,

          Thanks for the additional lesson; you didn't go to Juniata college, did you?  Just teasing.
          Ann

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2008
            On Oct 23, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Ann Poslosky wrote:

            > Philip,
            >
            > Thanks for the additional lesson; you didn't go to Juniata college,
            > did you? Just teasing.

            Nope, I went to Penn State, but my friends from Juniata made it clear
            that the name of their county/high school/etc. was not to be
            pronounced like "Juanita" =)

          • Marie
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 25, 2008
              Philip,

              I just have to say.......go Penn State. My daughter just graduated in May and my son is a Sophomore.

              Marie