Re: [bukowsko_triangle] THE MEANING OF THE POLISH WORD SPRAWIE

  • Marie
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      thanks
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Roman
      To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [bukowsko_triangle] THE MEANING OF THE POLISH WORD SPRAWIE

      Try SPRAWA.

      Roman

      nimitz58 wrote:
      > CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE MEANING OF THE WORD SPRAWIE??
      >
      > I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM POLAND WITH THE WORD SPRAWIE AND CAN'T FIND
      > THE MEANING OF IT. IT IS USED IN THE FOLLOWING WAY:
      > w sprawie informacji o Pani przodkach wywodzachych (and also)
      > Sugerujemy wiec w sprawie akt metrykalnych Komanczy (and also)
      > a w sprawie akt metrykalnych z Karlikowa do Kurii Archidiecezji
      >
      > When entering the word in a translation site it comes back no
      > translation. Checked several sites and I'm stuck!
      >
      > Marie

    • Marie
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        I'll give it a go......thanks
        Marie

        > CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE MEANING OF THE WORD SPRAWIE??
        >
        > I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM POLAND WITH THE WORD SPRAWIE AND CAN'T FIND
        > THE MEANING OF IT. IT IS USED IN THE FOLLOWING WAY:
        > w sprawie informacji o Pani przodkach wywodzachych (and also)
        > Sugerujemy wiec w sprawie akt metrykalnych Komanczy (and also)
        > a w sprawie akt metrykalnych z Karlikowa do Kurii Archidiecezji
        >
        > When entering the word in a translation site it comes back no
        > translation. Checked several sites and I'm stuck!
        >
        > Marie

        sprawie I believe means "in the matter of"

      • Roman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2008
          Okeir -

          That is not quite right. Polish, just as Latin, is a declined language.
          Hence nouns and adjectives have Cases. To be precise, the word in
          question is "sprawa". It has lots of meanings and is used in lots of
          idiomatic expressions. So we have

          sprawa, -y = case, matter, affair, business, concern

          sprawie = Locative Case of sprawa

          w = in [requires that the following noun be Locative Case]

          The idiom "w sprawie" is normally followed by a term indicating the
          situation involved and expressed using the Genitive case. So we have

          w sprawie [akt, informacji, etc.] = in the matter [of ...]

          The short document

          http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/firstyear/nutshell.pdf

          is a very good English explanation of Polish grammar and well worth
          spending some time on to get a feel for the language. Additionally, it
          has a rich vocabulary of commonly used words and phrases.

          Cheers,

          Roman

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2008
            thanks for the long and short of it.....
            Marie