Nimec/Niemiec/Nimitz and Fecko/Fesko

  • Marie
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
      Great Grandfather Nicholaus/Mike Nimec/Niemiec/Nimitz dob 1868 from Przybyszow. We believe the Nimiec famly owned a farm in Przybyszow.
      Nicholaus/Mike first immigrated in 1887. Lived in Cambria County Pennsylvania. Worked for the Penna. Rail Road died 1929 in RR accident.

      Great Grandmother Nastka/Anastasia Fecko/Fesko (maiden name) aprox dob 1875 (her mother's maiden name probably Babjak) was from Czystohorb. We believe the Fecko/Fesko family owned a mill/farm in Czystohorb. Nastka/Anastasia married Nicholaus and lived in Przybyszow. Nastka/Anastasia immigrates in 1900 from Bremen to New York on the Trave. She is going to meet Nicholaus/Mike who is already in Pennsylvania.

      Their children are: Paraska, Annie, Mike, Elco, Mary, Eva, Andy, Julie, Frank. Paraksa is born in Austria in 1886 the rest born in Pennsylvania.

      My Grandmother Paraska dob 1886 is born in Przybyszow. When her mother Naskta/Anastasia immigrates in 1900 Paraska is left with we believe an Uncle in the Nimec family. Paraksa immigrates on 12/15/1905 on the Graf Waldersee thru Hamburg to New York. A man by the name of Teodor Hojsan also from Przybyszow
      accompanys her on the trip. In 1912 Paraska married Michael Csolan/Chalan. They have a family and live in Cambria County, Pa. Michael works on the Pa RR.

      We know very little about the family. Searching to records and family members. Any information is welcome!

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Mar 31, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Marie wrote:
        > Great Grandfather Nicholaus/Mike Nimec/Niemiec/Nimitz dob 1868
        > from Przybyszow. We believe the Nimiec famly owned a farm in
        > Przybyszow.
        > Nicholaus/Mike first immigrated in 1887. Lived in Cambria County
        > Pennsylvania. Worked for the Penna. Rail Road died 1929 in RR
        > accident.
        >
        > Great Grandmother Nastka/Anastasia Fecko/Fesko (maiden name) aprox
        > dob 1875 (her mother's maiden name probably Babjak) was from
        > Czystohorb. We believe the Fecko/Fesko family owned a mill/farm in
        > Czystohorb. Nastka/Anastasia married Nicholaus and lived in
        > Przybyszow. Nastka/Anastasia immigrates in 1900 from Bremen to New
        > York on the Trave. She is going to meet Nicholaus/Mike who is
        > already in Pennsylvania.
        >
        > Their children are: Paraska, Annie, Mike, Elco, Mary, Eva, Andy,
        > Julie, Frank. Paraksa is born in Austria in 1886 the rest born in
        > Pennsylvania.
        >
        > My Grandmother Paraska dob 1886 is born in Przybyszow. When her
        > mother Naskta/Anastasia immigrates in 1900 Paraska is left with we
        > believe an Uncle in the Nimec family. Paraksa immigrates on
        > 12/15/1905 on the Graf Waldersee thru Hamburg to New York. A man by
        > the name of Teodor Hojsan also from Przybyszow
        > accompanys her on the trip. In 1912 Paraska married Michael
        > Csolan/Chalan. They have a family and live in Cambria County, Pa.
        > Michael works on the Pa RR.
        >
        > We know very little about the family. Searching to records and
        > family members. Any information is welcome!

        Hi Marie,
        Welcome to the list! It seems like you're off to a good start. I have
        a question about what you told us. You said:

        > Great Grandmother Nastka/Anastasia Fecko/Fesko (maiden name) aprox
        > dob 1875...married Nicholaus. Nastka/Anastasia immigrates in 1900
        > from Bremen to New York on the Trave. She is going to meet
        > Nicholaus/Mike who is already in Pennsylvania.

        Where does the Mike in "Nicholaus/Mike" come from?

        > Their children are: Paraska, Annie, Mike, Elco, Mary, Eva, Andy,
        > Julie, Frank. Paraksa is born in Austria in 1886 the rest born in
        > Pennsylvania.

        An observation about the above: if I understand you correctly,
        Paraska (b. 1886) was the daughter of Nastka/Anastasia. It seems
        unlikely, then, that Anastasia's dob is 1875 since she'd be only 11
        when Paraska was born. Also, if Anastasia emigrated to the USA in
        1900 where the rest of her children were born, that means there was a
        14 year gap between Paraska's birth and the birth of her next oldest
        sibling. But I guess there could have been siblings born that lived
        only a couple of days as infant mortality was high in those days, and
        maybe these didn't show up on whatever records you saw. And if
        Anastasia was indeed only 11 when her first child was born, it makes
        sense that they'd wait for a little while before having the next child.

        I don't know what I'm after here, mostly I'm just thinking out loud.
        The usual pattern of births that I see for people from this place &
        time is a child every 2-3 years, and the youngest mother I can recall
        seeing recorded was 15 or so. The pattern you describe is unusual. In
        modern times it isn't unheard of for eleven year olds to become
        pregnant, but I think in the place & time we're discussing she would
        have been sexually precocious.

        PS - Hojsan is probably a variation on "Hujsak" which is a name that
        pops up fairly often on the list and has a surprising number of
        spellings given that it is such a short name.
      • Marie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
          My mother (Paraska's daughter) told me that her grandfather's name was Nicolaus but he went by Mike. Greek Catholic records in Pa. spells his name Nicolai and
          also Nicolaus. Census records show him as Mike. I have yet to confirm passenger list as we believe he came over more than once...declaration of intention he is Mike Nememec immigration date July 1887. I also have not found his obit in 1929 or his records for the PA RR. I plan on a trip to Cambria Cty for that.

          Yes, your right.... My date of birth is incorrect for Paraska. She was 9 in 1905 so that would make her dob 1896. Naskta dob it's just a guess with information from the census.

          As far as the spelling for Nimec. I have seen it spelled differently on different records. Nememec, Nimec, Nimits, Nimitz, Nyimetz, Niemec, Nemetz,
          Nemits, Niemiec. Which makes it confusing when looking thru passenger list.

          Marie

          .

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
            On Apr 1, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Marie wrote:
            > My mother (Paraska's daughter) told me that her grandfather's name
            > was Nicolaus but he went by Mike. Greek Catholic records in Pa.
            > spells his name Nicolai and
            > also Nicolaus. Census records show him as Mike. I have yet to
            > confirm passenger list as we believe he came over more than
            > once...declaration of intention he is Mike Nememec immigration
            > date July 1887. I also have not found his obit in 1929 or his
            > records for the PA RR. I plan on a trip to Cambria Cty for that.
            >
            > Yes, your right.... My date of birth is incorrect for Paraska. She
            > was 9 in 1905 so that would make her dob 1896. Naskta dob it's
            > just a guess with information from the census.

            That makes a lot more sense -- I should have guessed.

            > As far as the spelling for Nimec. I have seen it spelled
            > differently on different records. Nememec, Nimec, Nimits, Nimitz,
            > Nyimetz, Niemec, Nemetz,
            > Nemits, Niemiec. Which makes it confusing when looking thru
            > passenger list.

            Ouch, that's annoying. Somehow the variations on Semanchuk don't seem
            so bad now.

            BTW don't forget to look for mistakes in transcription in the
            computer searchable passenger lists. For instance, I've found a
            Semanczyk with a surname of Lemanczyk in the Ellis Island database
            because the cursive S on the manifest looked like a cursive L.

            Good luck
            Philip

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
              yea.....all you can do is just keep looking. Strangely enough the time goes so fast while your doing it.
              Marie