Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Dachau Concentration Camp Inmates List Online!

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
      In doing a search just using the village name Bukowsko, Bednarz was
      listed. I suggest list members just search on their ancestral village
      names.

      Debbie

      elstonwe@... wrote:
      > I found one person from Dudynce, Vladislaus Kolodij born Feb 12 1915.
      The Kolodij family was not necessarily Jewish but we know that non-Jews
      were also caught up in the holocost. What a powerful site. Thanks for
      sharing.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
        Following up on my own suggestion I searched on a couple of BT area
        villages and came up with the following. Note that the wonderful
        Stephen Morse uses a soundex in searching the results:

        Bukowsko: Andreas Bednarz and Hersch Graber
        Dudynce: Vladislaus Kolodij
        Kamienne: none
        Karlikow: Piotr Sywyj and Peter Siwyj (2 different entries)
        Kulaszne: none
        Markowce: none
        Nadolany: none
        Nagorzany: Anastasius Pankiewicz
        Niebieszczany: Wladislaus Kucharski
        Nowotaniec: none
        Pielnia: Iwan Martyniak and Andrzej Szczerba
        Pl~onna: Iwan Lewzkyj (Raymond Baudoin is also listed but he's
        French)
        Pobiedno: none
        Prusiek: Wladislaus Rudy
        Rzepedz: Josef Wieczny
        Szczawne: none
        Tokarnia: Valentin Sepiak
        Wola Jaworowa: Iwan Pituch and Vasyl Pituch
        Wola Piotrowa: none
        Wolica: 11 returns but not all, if any, are from Wolica in
        Bukowsko gmina.
        Wysoczany: none
        Zboiska: none

        You'll notice that only one of the above was Jewish but that is
        because most of the Jews were taken to a work "camp" in Zasl~awie and
        then sent to Belzec, north of Przemys~l where they were killed.

        Debbie

        seraph1818 wrote:
        > The newest edition of "Nu? What's New?" The E-zine of Jewish
        > Genealogy From Avotaynu 0 Gary Mokotoff, Editor Volume 9, Number 4 |
        > February 17, 2008, has two articles that cross ethnic/religious
        > lines.
        >
        > "Dachau Inmates List at Morse Site"
        > An index to 160,000 inmates of Dachau concentration camp is
        > available at the Stephen Morse site at:
        > http://stevemorse.org/dachau/dachau.html
        > The information provided, when known, includes name, birth date,
        > town of residence, prisoner number, arrival date and disposition
        > (examples: died, liberated). The search engine has the usual host of
        > options available that exist for many other databases at the Morse
        > site. The database was made available to Morse by Peter Landé of the
        > U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.
        >
        > (I tried this not only using surnames, but just using town names
        > (town of birth and/or town of residence). The lists varied and
        > there was a mix of Jewish, Polish, etc. names.)
        >
        > Debbie :)
        > California
      • Mary-Ann
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
          Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
          Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
          question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
          wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
          Is there a website that might tell me this?
          Mary-Ann

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
            On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Mary-Ann wrote:

            > Debbie,
            > Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
            > Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
            > question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
            > wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
            > Is there a website that might tell me this?

            According to this page:
            http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/109.htm

            "In 1785...[t]here were 191 Greek Catholics 20 Roman Catholics and 5
            Jews"

            By 1899 this had grown to 514 Greek Catholics and 568 Greek Catholics
            by 1926. Those figures might give you an idea.

          • Mary-Ann
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
              Thanks Philip! Dudynce was larger back then than I had imagined!
              Mary-Ann

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                Mary-Ann,

                Along with Philip's info you might check the Dudyn~ce Spis info on
                Philip's site just to see if Vladislaus (probably listed as
                Wl~adysL~aw) Kol~odij is listed there too.
                http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html

                Debbie

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                  Mary-Ann,

                  I made a mistake. There aren't any Spis records for Dudyn~ce. I didn't
                  even look at the web site.

                  I just "scanned" the spis and there aren't any records in there for
                  Dudyn~ce village.

                  I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

                  Debbie

                  Mary-Ann wrote:
                  > Debbie,
                  > Help! I'm not seeing a Dudynce link at Philip's site.
                  > MA
                  >
                  > Debbie Greenlee wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Mary-Ann,
                  >>
                  >> Along with Philip's info you might check the Dudyn~ce Spis info on
                  >> Philip's site just to see if Vladislaus (probably listed as
                  >> Wl~adysL~aw) Kol~odij is listed there too.
                  >> http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html
                  >> <http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html>
                  >>
                  >> Debbie
                  >>
                  >> Mary-Ann wrote:
                  >> > Debbie,
                  >> > Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
                  >> > Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
                  >> > question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
                  >> > wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
                  >> > Is there a website that might tell me this?
                  >> > Mary-Ann
                • Mary-Ann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                    No problem....lol. Just making sure I wasn't having a Senior Moment and
                    missed it.
                    Mary-Ann