Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Dachau Concentration Camp Inmates List Online!

  • elstonwe@att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
      I found one person from Dudynce, Vladislaus Kolodij born Feb 12 1915. The Kolodij family was not necessarily Jewish but we know that non-Jews were also caught up in the holocost. What a powerful site. Thanks for sharing.

      Gloria

      -------------- Original message from "seraph1818" <seraph@...>: --------------

      The newest edition of "Nu? What's New?" The E-zine of Jewish
      Genealogy From Avotaynu 0 Gary Mokotoff, Editor Volume 9, Number 4 |
      February 17, 2008, has two articles that cross ethnic/religious
      lines.

      "Dachau Inmates List at Morse Site"
      An index to 160,000 inmates of Dachau concentration camp is
      available at the Stephen Morse site at:
      http://stevemorse.org/dachau/dachau.html
      The information provided, when known, includes name, birth date,
      town of residence, prisoner number, arrival date and disposition
      (examples: died, liberated). The search engine has the usual host of
      options available that exist for many other databases at the Morse
      site. The database was made available to Morse by Peter Land� of the
      U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.

      (I tried this not only using surnames, but just using town names
      (town of birth and/or town of residence). The lists varied and
      there was a mix of Jewish, Polish, etc. names.)

      "Immigrants to S�o Paulo, Brazil, Online"
      A list of immigrants who came to the State of S�o Paulo, Brazil, is
      available at http://www.memorialdoimigrante.sp.gov.br . Most of the
      records are for the period 1885�1925, but there are some as late as
      1948. Searching for the given name John produced only about 200
      entries. It does not have wildcard ability, but interestingly you
      can search by first name only. If you click on the name of an
      individual, it displays all persons who accompanied him/her. The
      site is sponsored by the Department of Museums and Archives, of the
      State Secretary of the Culture of S�o Paulo. You can order a
      certificate for about US$10�15.

      (If you believe that some members of your family emigrated to
      Brazil, this online database might be of assistance to you.)

      To read this month's newletter, go to:
      http://www.avotaynu.com/nu/V09N04.htm

      To find past newletters, go to: http://www.avotaynu.com/nu.htm

      To subscribe to the online newletter (it's free), go to:
      http://www.avotaynu.com/nuwhatsnew.htm

      Debbie :)
      California

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
        In doing a search just using the village name Bukowsko, Bednarz was
        listed. I suggest list members just search on their ancestral village
        names.

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
          Following up on my own suggestion I searched on a couple of BT area
          villages and came up with the following. Note that the wonderful
          Stephen Morse uses a soundex in searching the results:

          Bukowsko: Andreas Bednarz and Hersch Graber
          Dudynce: Vladislaus Kolodij
          Kamienne: none
          Karlikow: Piotr Sywyj and Peter Siwyj (2 different entries)
          Kulaszne: none
          Markowce: none
          Nadolany: none
          Nagorzany: Anastasius Pankiewicz
          Niebieszczany: Wladislaus Kucharski
          Nowotaniec: none
          Pielnia: Iwan Martyniak and Andrzej Szczerba
          Pl~onna: Iwan Lewzkyj (Raymond Baudoin is also listed but he's
          French)
          Pobiedno: none
          Prusiek: Wladislaus Rudy
          Rzepedz: Josef Wieczny
          Szczawne: none
          Tokarnia: Valentin Sepiak
          Wola Jaworowa: Iwan Pituch and Vasyl Pituch
          Wola Piotrowa: none
          Wolica: 11 returns but not all, if any, are from Wolica in
          Bukowsko gmina.
          Wysoczany: none
          Zboiska: none

          You'll notice that only one of the above was Jewish but that is
          because most of the Jews were taken to a work "camp" in Zasl~awie and
          then sent to Belzec, north of Przemys~l where they were killed.

          Debbie

          seraph1818 wrote:
          > The newest edition of "Nu? What's New?" The E-zine of Jewish
          > Genealogy From Avotaynu 0 Gary Mokotoff, Editor Volume 9, Number 4 |
          > February 17, 2008, has two articles that cross ethnic/religious
          > lines.
          >
          > "Dachau Inmates List at Morse Site"
          > An index to 160,000 inmates of Dachau concentration camp is
          > available at the Stephen Morse site at:
          > http://stevemorse.org/dachau/dachau.html
          > The information provided, when known, includes name, birth date,
          > town of residence, prisoner number, arrival date and disposition
          > (examples: died, liberated). The search engine has the usual host of
          > options available that exist for many other databases at the Morse
          > site. The database was made available to Morse by Peter Landé of the
          > U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.
          >
          > (I tried this not only using surnames, but just using town names
          > (town of birth and/or town of residence). The lists varied and
          > there was a mix of Jewish, Polish, etc. names.)
          >
          > Debbie :)
          > California
        • Mary-Ann
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
            Debbie,
            Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
            Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
            question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
            wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
            Is there a website that might tell me this?
            Mary-Ann

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
              On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Mary-Ann wrote:

              > Debbie,
              > Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
              > Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
              > question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
              > wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
              > Is there a website that might tell me this?

              According to this page:
              http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/109.htm

              "In 1785...[t]here were 191 Greek Catholics 20 Roman Catholics and 5
              Jews"

              By 1899 this had grown to 514 Greek Catholics and 568 Greek Catholics
              by 1926. Those figures might give you an idea.

            • Mary-Ann
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                Thanks Philip! Dudynce was larger back then than I had imagined!
                Mary-Ann

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                  Mary-Ann,

                  Along with Philip's info you might check the Dudyn~ce Spis info on
                  Philip's site just to see if Vladislaus (probably listed as
                  Wl~adysL~aw) Kol~odij is listed there too.
                  http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html

                  Debbie

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                    Mary-Ann,

                    I made a mistake. There aren't any Spis records for Dudyn~ce. I didn't
                    even look at the web site.

                    I just "scanned" the spis and there aren't any records in there for
                    Dudyn~ce village.

                    I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

                    Debbie

                    Mary-Ann wrote:
                    > Debbie,
                    > Help! I'm not seeing a Dudynce link at Philip's site.
                    > MA
                    >
                    > Debbie Greenlee wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Mary-Ann,
                    >>
                    >> Along with Philip's info you might check the Dudyn~ce Spis info on
                    >> Philip's site just to see if Vladislaus (probably listed as
                    >> Wl~adysL~aw) Kol~odij is listed there too.
                    >> http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html
                    >> <http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/SpisParafialny.html>
                    >>
                    >> Debbie
                    >>
                    >> Mary-Ann wrote:
                    >> > Debbie,
                    >> > Re Vladislaus Kolodij from Dudynce. My grandmother's mother was a
                    >> > Kolodij (Magdalena) from Dudynce prior to her marriage (makes me
                    >> > question if this could be a relative). She was Greek Catholic. I
                    >> > wonder (approximately) what the population of Dudynce was around 1915.
                    >> > Is there a website that might tell me this?
                    >> > Mary-Ann
                  • Mary-Ann
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                      Debbie,
                      No problem....lol. Just making sure I wasn't having a Senior Moment and
                      missed it.
                      Mary-Ann