Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Ukrainian Translation

  • Mailkimg2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
      Dear  Gloria,

      What I did a few years ago with a German obituary -- I scanned it into my computer in a .jpg.  I then emailed the file to a lady who worked for a German Church in Baltimore who was available to do small genealogy translations.  Of course, I'd phoned around to a few places making inquiries when a Chaplain gave me her contact information.  At that time, I'd also asked him for an address where a donation could be sent.  :)  Suffice it to say, I'd sent my check along with a copy of the enlarged obituary.  About 2 days later I emailed the file to the woman.  Then I'd say, about two to three weeks later, I received a full translation in the mail.

      Check the phone book where you are, Gloria.  There must be a local church or organization up there.  I'd also utilize Rutgers as a resource.  I'll see if I can find anything and will email you privately.

      Kim :)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
        There are two universities in my area. I have contacted the Language department on one with no luck. I guess I will try the second. The Family History Library (Mecca) has no one. I guess I will wait for the Slavic Festival in the Spring and make some inquiries. There are no Byzantine churches in my city.

        These relatives were from the village of Swiatkowa Wielka about 30 miles west of Dudynce. The area is now a national park called Magurski Park.

        From: "Mike" <mikenmacz@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
          On Jan 6, 2008, at 9:21 PM, elstonwe@... wrote:

          > Happy New Year to all on the List!. I finally received a
          > communication from my Rusyn relative who lives in Kalush, Ukraine
          > (family was deported there in 1947). I met my 2nd cousin in
          > Uzhorod in 2006 and afterwards wrote several letters, never getting
          > a reply. So now I am very happy to get photos and a two sided
          > note, handwritten (you guessed it) in Ukrainian. Does anyone have
          > a suggestion on how I can get a translation without spending a
          > fortune? I have a Ukrainian computer translation program, but how
          > do I go from the handwritten letters to typed? I don't think I can
          > do it. Isn't it wonderful to meet another family research hurtle?

          When I was in a similar situation some time ago I asked around and
          found that a friend of a friend had a Ukrainian babysitter. THis
          might sound like just luck, but if you think about all of your
          friends and how many people they know, that actually casts a pretty
          wide net. I'll bet you're not more than two people separated from
          someone who could (and would) do the translation for you, it's just a
          matter of finding that person.

          Congrats on getting a letter back! Sorry I don't have more concrete
          suggestions.

          Good luck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008
            Gloria,

            Doesn't LDS have someone who can translate for you?

            The cheapest way I know to translate is to use William F. Hoffman &
            Jonathan Shea's book, _In their Words: A Genealogist's Translation
            Guide to Polish, German, Latin and Russian Documents. Volume II:
            Russian_

            http://www.langline.com/Publications.htm

            They give good examples of Cyrillic both in cursive and printing.
            Maybe your local public library or LDS library has a copy.

            BTW Congrats on receiving the letter!

            Debbie