Off Topic

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
      I thought everyone should be made aware of a situation that happened
      on Nov. 14, 2007, on the Fox television show, "Back To You."

      The issue involved a dialog between the Fred Willard character
      (admittedly an idiota) and the Polish news reporter. Willard's
      character said, "It's in your blood, like kielbasa and collaborating
      with the Nazis." I am sure most, if not all of you are outraged and
      you should be, especially at the second part of the sentence.

      A new Polish "activist" group was formed recently (not quite ready to
      go public) and put forth a major effort to force Fox TV into posting
      an apology on the web site for "Back To You" along with other demands.
      If you go to the link below, you'll see that Fox has posted an
      apology, though oddly worded.
      http://www.fox.com/backtoyou/

      My point in posting this is to show what an effect the Polish
      community (Polonia) can have on the media. It is time that we Poles
      stand up and shout, "Enough is enough."

      Debbie
    • Mailkimg2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2007
        Dear Debbie,

        Whoa! I hadn't heard about this. Especially recently, I'm more sensitive
        to this issue as my 6th grader is currently studying the Holocaust. Next week
        we have a class trip down to the Dallas Holocaust Museum. Have you been?

        That said, I've known for some time now that my greatgrandmother's brother
        was a Jesuit priest who was interred in Dachau in Dec 1940 remaining
        imprisoned through liberation day in April 1945. I have done some intense reading
        about the Holocaust over the past 10 weeks or so, being mostly interested in the
        way history has (IMO) unfairly portrayed the Polish people. IMO, and I am
        not criticizing the Poles at all, but I think the time has come for the Polish
        people to rise up and correct the unfair way they have been portrayed.

        Just two weeks ago, I spoke to a Polish Jesuit in Chicago who mailed me one
        of the Woodstock Letters which spoke of Father Jozef's leadership role in the
        camp; and how he encouraged others every day. Just tonight, my daughter and
        I finished reading "Escape from Warsaw."

        Bring it on sister-friend. I'm itching for a good battle right along side
        of you!

        Kim :)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
          I think some people are just ignorant when they are trying to be funny. I will tell you of a recent experience of mine. A few months ago I attended a DNA Conference and sat at a luncheon table next to a woman who was a part of a surname DNA project. We all inquired of each others DNA group participation and I said I was a part of the Carpatho-Rusyn DNA project. I explained that Rusyns were my ethnic group that formerly resided in the Carpathian mountains of Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. Her response was "Oh, your a Commie!". I was so dumbstruck that I just continued with chit chat but I think the moment after she said it and the moment of silence that followed made her aware of her indiscretion. People are ignorant. She thought she had made a joke.

          From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>

          > I thought everyone should be made aware of a situation that happened
          > on Nov. 14, 2007, on the Fox television show, "Back To You."
          >
          > The issue involved a dialog between the Fred Willard character
          > (admittedly an idiota) and the Polish news reporter. Willard's
          > character said, "It's in your blood, like kielbasa and collaborating
          > with the Nazis." I am sure most, if not all of you are outraged and
          > you should be, especially at the second part of the sentence.
          >
          > A new Polish "activist" group was formed recently (not quite ready to
          > go public) and put forth a major effort to force Fox TV into posting
          > an apology on the web site for "Back To You" along with other demands.
          > If you go to the link below, you'll see that Fox has posted an
          > apology, though oddly worded.
          > http://www.fox.com/backtoyou/
          >
          > My point in posting this is to show what an effect the Polish
          > community (Polonia) can have on the media. It is time that we Poles
          > stand up and shout, "Enough is enough."
          >
          > Debbie
        • Michele
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2007
            Wow...
            Although nothing suprises me that happens on Foxnews...Which is
            exactly why I gave up watching them...I just get too upset with all
            of their racist remarks toward everyone...
            My main source for news is BBC and LINK...
            Happy Holidays!

            --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>