Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Poland Census 2002 Interpretation of minorities

  • elstonwe@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007
      OK, I'll bite. I think the term Lemko is more specific for Poland than Rusyn. Lemko is one of the three "tribes" of Rusyns. The others being Boykos and Hutzles. Bedsides, Lemko is more colloquial for Poland coming into common use about 1920. I think it was at first a derisive term mocking the fact that these people used the word "lem" a lot in everyday speech. I think "lem" means "only".

      From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>