Kresy Deportees

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      I read this in the October, 2007 issue of "Gen_Dobr," the on line e-zine:

      " http://www.polonica.net/Lista_Polskich_Dzieci_deportowanych_3.htm
      Gayle Schlissel Riley <keys2pst@...> mentioned this list
      of Polish children deported from the Kresy (Eastern Borderlands) deep
      into the Soviet Union, and later to Africa. She noted that if you
      change the 3 in the URL to other numbers, you get other lists-children
      who ended up in Iran, India, Mexico and the United States (substitute
      5 for 3 in the URL), etc. "

      Written by Gayle Schlissel Riley <keys2pst@...> Previously
      published by _Gen Dobry!_, Vol. VIII, No. 10, 31 October 2007,
      PolishRoots(R): http://www.PolishRoots.org/.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        On Nov 1, 2007, at 8:48 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

        > I read this in the October, 2007 issue of "Gen_Dobr," the on line e-
        > zine:
        >
        > " http://www.polonica.net/
        > Lista_Polskich_Dzieci_deportowanych_3.htm
        > Gayle Schlissel Riley <keys2pst@...> mentioned this list
        > of Polish children deported from the Kresy (Eastern Borderlands) deep
        > into the Soviet Union, and later to Africa.

        OK, I'll bite...why in the world were they deporting Polish children
        to Tanganyika?
      • Lucyna Artymiuk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          First they were deported to Siberia or Kazakstan by the Soviets. These were
          men, women and children considered social threats to the Soviets. By some
          canculations over 1.7 million were deported into the "inhuman land"

          Many perished in the Soviet Union. One of them was my great grandmother who
          was sent to Archangielsk on the arctic circle. She was in her late 60s and
          sent with her two daughters and two grandsons.

          After that some got out of there after they received amnesty from the
          Soviets once the Soviets were attacked by Germany, and signed a treaty with
          the Polish Government in Exile.

          Then General Anders started creating a Polish army and got them out of the
          Soviet Union into Persia - with the men came civilians (women and children).

          From there they were taken to either India or Palestine - when India got
          independence they then went to Africa.

          You will get an insight from the following

          http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/refugee/langfitt/

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
            On Nov 2, 2007, at 2:01 AM, Lucyna Artymiuk wrote:

            > First they were deported to Siberia or Kazakstan by the Soviets.
            > These were
            > men, women and children considered social threats to the Soviets.
            > By some
            > canculations over 1.7 million were deported into the "inhuman land"
            >
            > Many perished in the Soviet Union. One of them was my great
            > grandmother who
            > was sent to Archangielsk on the arctic circle. She was in her late
            > 60s and
            > sent with her two daughters and two grandsons.
            >
            > After that some got out of there after they received amnesty from the
            > Soviets once the Soviets were attacked by Germany, and signed a
            > treaty with
            > the Polish Government in Exile.
            >
            > Then General Anders started creating a Polish army and got them out
            > of the
            > Soviet Union into Persia - with the men came civilians (women and
            > children).
            >
            > From there they were taken to either India or Palestine - when
            > India got
            > independence they then went to Africa.
            >
            > You will get an insight from the following
            >
            > http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/refugee/langfitt/

            Thanks for the link -- it's really well written and has a lot of
            personal accounts in it. Great stuff. I found this quote, which
            answers my Africa question: "Throughout 1942, General Anders had
            increased pressure on the Polish government in exile to allow the
            evacuation of Polish troops to Iran where, along with their families,
            they would come under British control."

            To summarize what I read, the Poles and Soviets had a very uneasy
            alliance after the Soviets gave the exiled Poles amnesty and allowed
            them (sort of) to travel through the Soviet Union, ostensibly to join
            the Polish Army. None of the Poles trusted the Soviets, so the goal
            was to get as many Poles as possible out of the Soviet Union.

            My great uncle was exiled to Siberia and ended up at the battle of
            Monte Cassino and I'd always wondered how he got there.

            Bye