Re: [bukowsko_triangle] LAND RECORDS

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
      On Oct 9, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

      > Keep in mind that houses were not numbered they way we are used to
      > seeing. Often the first house built was number 1. The next house
      > _built_ no matter where it was located in the village, was numbered 2
      > and so on. It's almost impossible or very time consuming to drive
      > through a village looking for a particular house number. If you walked
      > into the local post office however and asked where the Zytka families
      > lived, they could probably tell you.

      Also, the houses were renumbered from time to time. Probably not very
      often, but since we're talking about a span of 150-200 years, even
      renumbering once per century would mean that house numbers may have
      changed at least once.

      Interestingly, I just got a letter back from my cousin Maria who was
      born in Wolica. I had asked her who lived in Wolica 33 in 1946 and
      she replied that she didn't know because "the houses didn't have
      numbers then". I know this not to be true; the church records and my
      grandfather's birth certificate clearly indicate house #s as far back
      as the 1700s. What's interesting is that Maria was not aware of them
      even as a young adult (she was ~20 in 1946). Furthermore, I'm pretty
      sure that Maria herself was born in Wolica 33 and was probably living
      there in 1946, yet she wasn't aware of her own house number.

      My point is that the house numbers may not have been too relevant to
      the people themselves, especially in small villages where everyone
      knew everyone else.