Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Free DNA Testing

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
      Nancy,

      Perhaps its easiest to see the situation by means of a heredity diagram
      that looks like an inverted triangle. Simply start with the two simple
      1-generation cases (there are no others) that look like a letter "V" and
      label them as follows:

      Father Mother Father Mother
      \ / \ /
      Y \ / mt \ / mt
      \ / \ /
      Son Daugher

      Add as many generations as you wish. Then follow the trails of Y-DNA and
      mtDNA to see which ancestors produce an unbroken path. Any path that
      does not have a continuous chain, namely, will fail to provide data for
      genetic matches.

      For example, brothers and sisters have an "mt-DNA" path (Son - Mother -
      Daughter) but there is no such path between two cousins that are related
      by way of your Mother's Father since a (Father-Daughter) path has
      neither mt-DNA nor Y-DNA inheritance.

      Roman

      nsrevak@... wrote:

      > Hi Debbie,
      >
      > Thanks for the explanation. Now let me see if I understand it correctly and
      > am still not confused. If I wanted to trace both sides of my family, I
      > would need the following:
      >
      > Y-DNA and mtDNA from my brother--for the lineage of both my father's father
      > and my father's mother.
      >
      > mtDNA from me--for lineage of my mother's mother only.
      >
      > Y-DNA from my mother's brother or one of his sons for the lineage of my
      > mother's father.
      >
      > I this correct?
      >
      > If I got both a Y-DN and mtDNA from my mother's brother, would it provide
      > the same information about his mother's (my grandmother's) line as I would get
      > from my own mtDNA--and, therefore, not need a test of my own mtDNA?
      >
      > Nancy
      >
      > In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:28:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > daveg@... writes:
      >
      > Nancy,
      >
      > A male can have two different DNA tests run.
      > The "paternal" test is the Y-DNA test. This tests only the male line
      > directly back.
      > The "maternal" test is the mtDNA test. This one tests the female lines
      > back but the results include not only your brother's (for example)
      > mother's DNA the results also include his paternal grandmother'mother's D
      > so the lines get all mixed up.
      >
      > For women the only test is the mtDNA. You can not, yet, test a female
      > for her paternal line.
      >
      > So, if you wanted to test the male Revak line, and that was also your
      > brother's surname he would have to "take" the Y-DNA test. That would
      > only test the males in a direct line back (which _should_ all have the
      > Revak surname).
      >
      > If you wanted your mother's maternal line tested then you would "take"
      > the mtDNA test.
      >
      > If you want your mother's father's line then you need to have one of
      > _her_ brother's tested or one of her brother's sons (your cousin)
      > tested. You could expand that to your mother's father's brothers,
      > their sons or their grandsons.
      >
      > It gets tricky and expensive so you need to be careful.

    • Julie Finczak
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
        Hi Gloria,
        This organization asks you to try to document 4 generations of your family,
        however they waive this if your family comes from Europe. From what I
        understand from the documents I received, they may have researchers attempt
        to complete any unfinished or incomplete pedigrees you submit.
        I tried to find further information about this oraganization and have a link
        for a news articleI found through google.
        http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595090980,00.html

        As well, they have a searchable data base using either DNA results or
        through a father's suranme at http://www.smgf.org/pages/ydatabase.jspx
        Yes, they do assign a number to you and this will be your only identifier.
        Now I don't know how this will help me doing online research. I'll try to
        see if I can get more answers by getting in touch with one of their
        contacts. They've stated in a letter I received that they encourage and
        will help with any questions you may have.
        Julie

        From: elstonwe@...
        To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Free DNA Testing
        Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:23:21 +0000

        I personally don't think there are any negatives for your participation. I
        went to a genealogy conference in SLC a few years ago and they had a booth
        set up taking DNA samples. I guess that I forgot it was a mouth wash type
        of collection. As I remember, they also required 4 generations of your
        family to be documented. The booth was only set up for one day and I missed
        the opportunity. Does your kit have a number on it? Will you at a future
        time be able to look up that number?

        From: "Julie Finczak" <julliefishes@...>

        > Hi Everyone,
        > I've read Roman's response about not receiving the DNA results from the
        > Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation global database, if one
        participates
        > and submits their sample of DNA.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what might be the negatives of participating in this
        > study? I was under the impression that I would be able to search their
        > database in the future for family connections.
        > A couple of days ago, I received the collection kit and was quite
        impressed
        > with the packaging. The cost of the package and mailing must be quite
        high
        > to them. As well, they have sent me an email (see below) encouraging me
        > order additional kits for other family members at no cost.
        > The collection kit kind of surprised me , since I was expecting a swab
        type
        > of implement to remove a sample from my mouth, but instead received a
        > containing containing a mouthwash, with which you have to gargle with for
        45
        > seconds and then spit the contents back into the collection bottle. Is
        this
        > a usual practice? I may be watching to many CSI shows.
        > Julie,
        >
        > Thank you for your recent request to become part of the Sorenson
        Molecular
        > Genealogy Foundation global database. Your participation kit will be
        mailed
        > to you soon.
        > We appreciate your contribution to this important and historical study �
        you
        > are helping us grow the world genetic family tree, one branch at a time!
        > Genealogical and genetic data submitted to our study by you and others
        will
        > provide valuable information to many people worldwide who are earnestly
        > seeking their family roots, both today and in generations to come. You
        can
        > help build the database at an expedited pace by collecting additional DNA
        > samples and genealogies from family members, friends, and neighbors. We
        can
        > ship the collection material directly to your home, or you can go to our
        > website at www.SMGF.org and request additional kits in their behalf.
        > Participation in the SMGF global database is free, confidential, and
        simple.
        > As our database grows larger, it will become a greater asset to those
        > searching for their ancestors using DNA. Your collection of samples will
        > help the Sorenson Database reach its potential.
        >
        > If you would like additional material to be shipped to you, please reply
        > this email and let us know how many participation kits you would like to
        > receive. A representative from our organization will be available to
        assist
        > you with any questions you might have about collecting the extra samples
        and
        > genealogies and how to ship them back to our offices at no cost to you.
        >
        > Again, we are grateful for your participation and we look forward to
        > receiving your participation kit.
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > SMGF Team
        > 2480 S Main Street #200
        > Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
        > (801) 428-1050
        > (800) 344-SMGF (7643)
        > www.smgf.org

        > simple, and safer than ever and best of all � it�s still free. Try it
        today!
        > www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA146
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links