Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Free DNA Testing

  • elstonwe@att.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
      I personally don't think there are any negatives for your participation. I went to a genealogy conference in SLC a few years ago and they had a booth set up taking DNA samples. I guess that I forgot it was a mouth wash type of collection. As I remember, they also required 4 generations of your family to be documented. The booth was only set up for one day and I missed the opportunity. Does your kit have a number on it? Will you at a future time be able to look up that number?

      From: "Julie Finczak" <julliefishes@...>

      > Hi Everyone,
      > I've read Roman's response about not receiving the DNA results from the
      > Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation global database, if one participates
      > and submits their sample of DNA.
      >
      > Can anyone tell me what might be the negatives of participating in this
      > study? I was under the impression that I would be able to search their
      > database in the future for family connections.
      > A couple of days ago, I received the collection kit and was quite impressed
      > with the packaging. The cost of the package and mailing must be quite high
      > to them. As well, they have sent me an email (see below) encouraging me to
      > order additional kits for other family members at no cost.
      > The collection kit kind of surprised me , since I was expecting a swab type
      > of implement to remove a sample from my mouth, but instead received a
      > containing containing a mouthwash, with which you have to gargle with for 45
      > seconds and then spit the contents back into the collection bottle. Is this
      > a usual practice? I may be watching to many CSI shows.
      > Julie,
      >
      > Thank you for your recent request to become part of the Sorenson Molecular
      > Genealogy Foundation global database. Your participation kit will be mailed
      > to you soon.
      > We appreciate your contribution to this important and historical study � you
      > are helping us grow the world genetic family tree, one branch at a time!
      > Genealogical and genetic data submitted to our study by you and others will
      > provide valuable information to many people worldwide who are earnestly
      > seeking their family roots, both today and in generations to come. You can
      > help build the database at an expedited pace by collecting additional DNA
      > samples and genealogies from family members, friends, and neighbors. We can
      > ship the collection material directly to your home, or you can go to our
      > website at www.SMGF.org and request additional kits in their behalf.
      > Participation in the SMGF global database is free, confidential, and simple.
      > As our database grows larger, it will become a greater asset to those
      > searching for their ancestors using DNA. Your collection of samples will
      > help the Sorenson Database reach its potential.
      >
      > If you would like additional material to be shipped to you, please reply to
      > this email and let us know how many participation kits you would like to
      > receive. A representative from our organization will be available to assist
      > you with any questions you might have about collecting the extra samples and
      > genealogies and how to ship them back to our offices at no cost to you.
      >
      > Again, we are grateful for your participation and we look forward to
> [...]
    • Roman
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
        Nancy,

        Perhaps its easiest to see the situation by means of a heredity diagram
        that looks like an inverted triangle. Simply start with the two simple
        1-generation cases (there are no others) that look like a letter "V" and
        label them as follows:

        Father Mother Father Mother
        \ / \ /
        Y \ / mt \ / mt
        \ / \ /
        Son Daugher

        Add as many generations as you wish. Then follow the trails of Y-DNA and
        mtDNA to see which ancestors produce an unbroken path. Any path that
        does not have a continuous chain, namely, will fail to provide data for
        genetic matches.

        For example, brothers and sisters have an "mt-DNA" path (Son - Mother -
        Daughter) but there is no such path between two cousins that are related
        by way of your Mother's Father since a (Father-Daughter) path has
        neither mt-DNA nor Y-DNA inheritance.

        Roman

        nsrevak@... wrote:

        > Hi Debbie,
        >
        > Thanks for the explanation. Now let me see if I understand it correctly and
        > am still not confused. If I wanted to trace both sides of my family, I
        > would need the following:
        >
        > Y-DNA and mtDNA from my brother--for the lineage of both my father's father
        > and my father's mother.
        >
        > mtDNA from me--for lineage of my mother's mother only.
        >
        > Y-DNA from my mother's brother or one of his sons for the lineage of my
        > mother's father.
        >
        > I this correct?
        >
        > If I got both a Y-DN and mtDNA from my mother's brother, would it provide
        > the same information about his mother's (my grandmother's) line as I would get
        > from my own mtDNA--and, therefore, not need a test of my own mtDNA?
        >
        > Nancy
        >
        > In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:28:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        > daveg@... writes:
        >
        > Nancy,
        >
        > A male can have two different DNA tests run.
        > The "paternal" test is the Y-DNA test. This tests only the male line
        > directly back.
        > The "maternal" test is the mtDNA test. This one tests the female lines
        > back but the results include not only your brother's (for example)
        > mother's DNA the results also include his paternal grandmother'mother's D
        > so the lines get all mixed up.
        >
        > For women the only test is the mtDNA. You can not, yet, test a female
        > for her paternal line.
        >
        > So, if you wanted to test the male Revak line, and that was also your
        > brother's surname he would have to "take" the Y-DNA test. That would
        > only test the males in a direct line back (which _should_ all have the
        > Revak surname).
        >
        > If you wanted your mother's maternal line tested then you would "take"
        > the mtDNA test.
        >
        > If you want your mother's father's line then you need to have one of
        > _her_ brother's tested or one of her brother's sons (your cousin)
        > tested. You could expand that to your mother's father's brothers,
        > their sons or their grandsons.
        >
        > It gets tricky and expensive so you need to be careful.

      • Julie Finczak
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi Gloria,
          This organization asks you to try to document 4 generations of your family,
          however they waive this if your family comes from Europe. From what I
          understand from the documents I received, they may have researchers attempt
          to complete any unfinished or incomplete pedigrees you submit.
          I tried to find further information about this oraganization and have a link
          for a news articleI found through google.
          http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595090980,00.html

          As well, they have a searchable data base using either DNA results or
          through a father's suranme at http://www.smgf.org/pages/ydatabase.jspx
          Yes, they do assign a number to you and this will be your only identifier.
          Now I don't know how this will help me doing online research. I'll try to
          see if I can get more answers by getting in touch with one of their
          contacts. They've stated in a letter I received that they encourage and
          will help with any questions you may have.
          Julie

          From: "Julie Finczak" <julliefishes@...>

> [...]
          >
          > If you would like additional material to be shipped to you, please reply
          > this email and let us know how many participation kits you would like to
          > receive. A representative from our organization will be available to
          assist
          > you with any questions you might have about collecting the extra samples
          and
          > genealogies and how to ship them back to our offices at no cost to you.
          >
          > Again, we are grateful for your participation and we look forward to
          > receiving your participation kit.
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > SMGF Team
          > 2480 S Main Street #200
          > Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
          > (801) 428-1050
          > (800) 344-SMGF (7643)
          > www.smgf.org

          > simple, and safer than ever and best of all � it�s still free. Try it

          Yahoo! Groups Links