Kwartalnik

    Message 1 of 23 , May 7, 2007
      The first issue for 2007 of "Kwartalnik" the gmina Bukowsko magazine,
      is now on line.

      Go to:
      http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%c2%b6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1
      At the bottom of the right hand column under "Kwartalniki," click on
      "Numer Biezacy." Give it a minute to load.

      Enjoy!
      Message 2 of 23 , May 31, 2010
        The most recent issue of the Bukowsko gmina magazine, "Kwartalnik" is
        on line. It is issue Nr1(21)/2010:

        http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery

        I see something about one of our members, Emil Tomczyk! I think Emil
        suggested that the "Kwartalnik" include items from 100 year old
        newspapers which mention the Bukowsko area and I think they are going
        to do it with the assignment going to Ewa Kseniak!

        Nowotaniec has a new library!
        It just dawned on me. Anyone who has written a book about their family
        history should consider donating a copy to their ancestral village's
        (or gmina) library!

        Page 16 has a story about "Mal~a Ojczyzna Wolica" (something like,
        small country of Wolica). This is a short history about the village
        along with a captioned photo. You can use Google Translate to get a
        sense of what is written. Google Translate isn't the best for Polish
        but it's not bad.
        http://translate.google.com/#

        A castle in Nowotaniec? Check out page 19.

        On page 21 is a short article about a new MRI machine (General
        Electric!) which was recently obtained. The old machine was donated to
        a hospital in Drohobycz, Ukraine. Interesting.

        Apparently Nagorzany has an impressive tennis team. page 22

        The back cover is captioned as a Jewish wedding in Bukowsko circa 1940.

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 27, 2011
          Current issue of the "Kwartalnik" is here:

          http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery
          Click on "Numer 1(25)/2011.

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
            The most recent issue of the Bukowsko gmina magazine, "Kwartalnik" is
            on the Bukowsko web site:
            http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery

            Click on "Numery 3(20)/2011"

            I will be interested to see if anyone spots interesting items in this
            issue even though it's in Polish. You can still pick out names and places.

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
              The most recent issue of the Bukowsko gmina magazine, "Kwartalnik" is
              on the Bukowsko web site:
              http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery

              Click on "Numery 3(20)/2011"

              I am curious to see if anyone spots interesting items in this issue
              even though it's in Polish. You can still pick out names and places.

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                I know you're all wondering what happened to the "Kwartalnik" I listed
                in the email I sent yesterday so here's the correct information:
                http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery

                Click on "Numery 3(27)/2011"

                Debbie

                Debbie Greenlee wrote:
                > The most recent issue of the Bukowsko gmina magazine, "Kwartalnik" is
                > on the Bukowsko web site:
                > http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery
                >
                > I am curious to see if anyone spots interesting items in this issue
                > even though it's in Polish. You can still pick out names and places.
                >
                > Debbie
              • Josephine Christopher
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                  Spotted it.....What a beautiful cake. Happy Birthday
                  Jo and Irene

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                    Great write-up about your birthday cake, Debbie!!! After being
                    recognized in the middle of a forest in Poland, you'll soon have to
                    travel incognito....
                    let me put in my bid to act as your spo?ecznych sekretarz (Social
                    Secretary)...LOL. Seriously, accolades to a really nice lady!
                    MaryAnn Maciejowska-Bensinger

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                      On Nov 8, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Josephine Christopher wrote:

                      > Spotted it.....What a beautiful cake. Happy Birthday

                      Thanks for the tip. I cheated and searched for Greenlee but it didn't come up because the it's "Gre-enlee" in the text (occurs at a line break).

                      Nice job, Debbie! Google was a little vague in the translation -- did you really manage to scare up that elaborate cake while you were there last?

                      > ________________________________

                    • Ann Poslosky
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011

                        You are the biggest celebrity that I know!!!  If MaryAnn can't fulfill the social secretary job, I am available.  You deserve all the recognition you get for all the work you did for 10 years of
                        trips to Poland and mostly for your work in Bukowsko.  You were even the first to inform me of the death of my beloved cousin, Bronia....and, just a day after her passing away. Now, that was faster than a newpaper.  Na Zdrowia....Salute w vodka!!!....

                        Ann

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011

                          The cake was a surprise from my husband for my birthday LAST February.
                          The view in the magazine is supposed to be the church in Bukowsko. The
                          opposite side of the cake is the "mall" in Bukowsko, though not
                          painted with the same bright colors. The sides of the cake are the
                          front and back of the manor house in another of my ancestral villages
                          (Dziewa), which receives very little of my attention now.

                          I thought the editor, Jan Muszanski would get a kick out of seeing the
                          cake.

                          The cake was made by a woman who has appeared on the Food Channel. The
                          sides of the cake are Styrofoam covered with fondant. The actual cake
                          was a big square within the walls. I framed the sides of the cake in
                          shadow boxes so I can keep them forever.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 14, 2012
                            BTers,

                            The current issue if the Bukowsko gmina magazine, "Kwartalnik" is on
                            the gmina's web site:
                            http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1
                            Click on Numery under Kwartalnik on the right side of the page. then
                            click on Numer 2(30)/2012.

                            Page 4 has a short obituary about Stefan Stuligrosz who died on June
                            15, 2012 at the age of 112! Though born in Poznań, Stuligrosz
                            celebrated his 85th birthday in Bukowsko and played the church organ
                            in Nowotaniec. Stuligrosz composed almost 600 musical pieces. He
                            received the Order of the White Eagle from the government of Poland in
                            2010.

                            Page 5 reports on the recent ordination of ks. Artur Drozd from
                            Nagorzany. Similar to the wedding custom of mothers greeting their
                            newly married children with bread and salt, the same was performed by
                            residents of Nagorzany. ks. Drozd first mass was celebrated in his
                            home parish of Nowotaniec (ks. Martowicz is pastor) om May 27, 2012.
                            Google translate does a pretty good job of translating this article.

                            Page 9 mentions that ks. Bogdan Nitki, pastor of Dudyńce parish just
                            celebrated his 25th anniversary as a priest.

                            Page 12 gives a short history about the villages of Ratnawica,
                            Bełchówka, Kamienne and Przybyszów.
                            List members with ties to these villages might join together and pay
                            someone to translate the whole article.

                            Page 16: For those who've had the pleasure of meeting Robert Koczera,
                            he's pictured kneeling with others in front of the Coliseum in Rome.
                            The story explains the trip.

                            The back cover has a photo taken in Wola Piotrowa circa 1967.

                            And of course there are many other stories and news items. Don't
                            forget to look for surnames.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 5, 2012
                              The current issue of "Kwartalnik" is on the Bukowsko gmina web site:

                              The picture on the front shows Zboiska. On the left side of the
                              picture is the church with the manor house at the other end of the
                              grassy/tree area.

                              At the top of the picture in the distance is Prusiek and Niebieszczany.

                              http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery
                              Click on Numer 3(31)/2012

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 5, 2012
                                Forgot to mention that the photo on the back cover of "Kwartalnik" was
                                one of the photos from Ann Poslosky that I gave to Jan Muszański, the
                                editor!

                                Maybe someone in the Bukowsko area will recognize people on the photo.

                                Debbie

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 6 3:11 PM
                                  The current issue of "Kwartalnik" can be found on the Bukowsko gmina
                                  web site.
                                  http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1
                                  Scroll down and click on Kwartalnik on the right. Then click on
                                  Numer 4(32)/2012

                                  Page 3 There was a "most beautiful garden" competition in Sanok
                                  powiat. Three families were mentioned:
                                  Elżbieta and Bogusław Bukrej of Nowotaniec, Maria and Krzysztof
                                  Frąckowiak of Nadolany and Łucja and Józef Wójtowicz of Nadolany.
                                  The pictures are pretty impressive. (Note to self: add these places to
                                  next itinerary.)

                                  Page 5 has a photo of the secondary school principal, Janusz Sitarz
                                  standing with teachers and children from the Pobiedno kindergarten
                                  classes. The children took part in a singing competition and none of
                                  them had stage fright!

                                  Page 6 has a history of Nowotaniec,

                                  Page 7 has a 1960 photo of the firemen of Nowotaniec.

                                  I'm pretty sure I spotted Robert Koczera on page 8. Robert has been
                                  involved with creating an "educational path" in the gmina.

                                  HPI which among other things gave more than 300 bee colonies to 20
                                  beekeepers in Bukowsko. In gratitude the beekeepers along with HPI is
                                  paying it forward with a project, "A piece of honey, a glass of milk"
                                  for the secondary school in Nowotaniec.

                                  Page 9 has an article about shale gas exploration in Poland. Perhaps
                                  the government should talk to residents in Pennsylvania and Texas
                                  about this before making a final decision to frack.

                                  Page 10 mentions a parking garage being built in Sanok which will hold
                                  100 cars.
                                  There is also a warning against opening doors to strangers trying to
                                  sell satellite dishes and the like; especially to the elderly.

                                  The "new" rynek (location of color fountain) now has 79 stalls for
                                  "peddlers." I can't find a web cam for Sanok that will load. But I did
                                  see snow. I was hoping to see what all these little stands look like.
                                  Rebuilding the square (rynek) cost 3 million złoty.

                                  Page 12 has the completion of "Memories of Home" by Władysława Mendruń
                                  Kozimor. This part of her story starts in 1954 when she married. You
                                  can copy and paste the article into Google Translate and get an _idea_
                                  of what she wrote. A family picture is included. Everyone should look
                                  at it to see if anyone looks familiar or reminds you of someone in
                                  your own family.

                                  There's lots more including an obituary.
                                  The back cover of this issue has a photograph of the army in Bukowsko
                                  in 1930.

                                  Debbie
                                • Elizabeth
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 24, 2013
                                    new issue of kwartalnik is on
                                    Bukowsko web site
                                    Ela
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 25, 2013
                                      Thanks Ela!

                                      Debbie

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 19, 2014
                                        I sent Jan Muszański, the editor of the Bukowsko gmina magazine,
                                        "Kwartalnik" photos from Ann Poslosky, Cynthia Vahlkamp, Bill Bodziak
                                        and myself. Muszański received them and hopefully at least some will
                                        appear in upcoming issues of the magazine.

                                        I sent a total of 15 photos. Thanks to everyone!

                                        Debbie
                                      • Cynthia Vahlkamp
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 20, 2014
                                          Thanks again for taking the lead on this.  It would be so beautiful to see our family members featured. Fingers crossed.
                                          Cynthia
                                        • Debbie Greenlee
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 20, 2014

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 20, 2014
                                              Cynthia,

                                              I'm hoping for a bigger reward - that people in the BT area will
                                              recognize those in the photos and make contact with "us."

                                              Debbie

                                              Cynthia Vahlkamp cynthia.vahlkamp@... [bukowsko_triangle] wrote:

                                              > Debbie,
                                              > Thanks again for taking the lead on this. It would be so beautiful to
                                              > see our family members featured. Fingers crossed.
                                              > Cynthia

                                            • Ann Poslosky
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 20, 2014
                                                Thanks Debbie for forwarding the pictures to Jan Musza~n~ski.  It would be awesome if some of those photos from this group would be recognized by local residents.

                                                Ann

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 30, 2014
                                                  The most recent issue of "Kwartalnik" the Bukowsko gmina quarterly
                                                  magazine is online. The last page of the magazine is a photo of the
                                                  Bukowsko school circa early 1900s which was provided by Joan Bausch
                                                  through Chris Bednarz.

                                                  I haven't had time to go through the magazine so you'll just have to
                                                  do that yourselves. ;)

                                                  http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/pl_start.asp?typ=14&sub=11&menu=48&strona=1
                                                  Click on
                                                  2014 Numer 3(30)/2014

                                                  Past issues are available on the same page.

                                                  BTW This magazine does not make any money. For some reason the
                                                  residents just don't buy enough issues. If you think this magazine is
                                                  worthwhile and want to see it continue feel free to send a donation.
                                                  You can contact me for information on how to do that.