HNAT

  • Justin Kirk Houser
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
      Perhaps it is of interest to Agata and others
      that one John HNOT (likely Ivan HNAT originally)
      and wife Elizabeth (English spellings) were
      parents of two known children who had connections
      with Centre County, Pennsylvania:
      1. Catharine 1894-1975 m. Enoch
      BENZIE (Ignac BENDZA) 1892-1969, a native of
      Mokre, parents of 7 known children
      2. Joseph m. Anna TOMASZ, parents of 4 known children

      The BENZIEs remained in the Bellefonte, Centre
      Co., PA area but the Joseph HNOT family
      apparently moved on as they are not recollected
      following the last appearance in a 1921 baptismal record.

      I do not know where these HNOT/HNAT people came
      from but BENDZA/BENZIE were from Mokre.

      I believe they were initially Greek Catholic.

      Justin Houser

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
        Justin,
        I am trying to communicate with Agata in broken Polish. She wants me
        to use www.poltran.com as a translator but it's translations are
        not good enough. I don't think I can write to her about your
        information - I don't have the language. ;)

        I have suggested she look at all the information on Philip's Bukowsko
        Triangle web site. Her family is from northeast of Sanok; close to BT
        but I am not sure if there is a connection to "our" people.

        I will keep your info though in case Agata and I can get some
        communication going that makes sense.

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
          On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:38 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

          > Justin,
          > I am trying to communicate with Agata in broken Polish. She wants me
          > to use www.poltran.com as a translator but it's translations are
          > not good enough. I don't think I can write to her about your
          > information - I don't have the language. ;)
          >
          > I have suggested she look at all the information on Philip's Bukowsko
          > Triangle web site. Her family is from northeast of Sanok; close to BT
          > but I am not sure if there is a connection to "our" people.
          >
          > I will keep your info though in case Agata and I can get some
          > communication going that makes sense.

          Good luck, and bully to you for trying.

          For those of you following along, Tyrawa Wol~oska is here:
          http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?&n=49,57669&e=22,36738&z=3&m=Tyrawa%20Wo%B3oska

          Stan~kowa is just a bit east of that:
          http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?&n=49,55401&e=22,44099&z=3&m=Sta%f1kowa

          > Justin Kirk Houser wrote:
          >> Perhaps it is of interest to Agata and others
          >> that one John HNOT (likely Ivan HNAT originally)
          >> and wife Elizabeth (English spellings) were
          >> parents of two known children who had connections
          >> with Centre County, Pennsylvania:
          >> 1. Catharine 1894-1975 m. Enoch
          >> BENZIE (Ignac BENDZA) 1892-1969, a native of
          >> Mokre, parents of 7 known children
          >> 2. Joseph m. Anna TOMASZ, parents of 4 known children
          >>
          >> The BENZIEs remained in the Bellefonte, Centre
          >> Co., PA area but the Joseph HNOT family
          >> apparently moved on as they are not recollected
          >> following the last appearance in a 1921 baptismal record.
          >>
          >> I do not know where these HNOT/HNAT people came
          >> from but BENDZA/BENZIE were from Mokre.
          >>
          >> I believe they were initially Greek Catholic.
          >>
          >> Justin Houser

        • Dennis Siwy
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
            Hello,
            I have a Nicholas Hnat in my family and he was from the Graziowa area NE of Sanok. He was married to my grandmothers sister(Markowicz).

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
              Dennis,
              Do you have any dates for Mikol~aj (Nicholas) Hnat? Was he Roman
              Catholic or Greek Catholic?
              What was the given name of your grandmother's sister, nee Markowicz?
              Did they marry in Poland?
              Did they emigrate?

              Debbie

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
                Thanks for the mapping.

                > Good luck, and bully to you for trying.
                >
                > For those of you following along, Tyrawa Wol~oska is here:
                > http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?&n=49,57669&e=22,36738&z=3&m=Tyrawa%20Wo%B3oska
                >
                > Stan~kowa is just a bit east of that:
                > http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?&n=49,55401&e=22,44099&z=3&m=Sta%f1kowa
                >

                > bye
              • Julie Finczak
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
                  Dear Debbie,

                  I have not heard from you about the cost for the book and am wondering if
                  you received my email requesting the book. I emailed you at
                  daveg@.... Please let me know if I am on the list and what the cost
                  is. Thank you

                  Julie Finczak

                  From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>
                  To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [bukowsko_triangle] HNAT
                  Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:21:21 -0600

                  Dennis,

                  http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2007
                    Julie,

                    Yes, I did receive your email and you're on the list.

                    I'm still waiting to get the final cost from the publisher. I received
                    an email from a representative on Jan. 17 saying he hoped to get it
                    figured up that day. Guess what? Not yet.

                    I have an email ready to go to each person who ordered a book. Just
                    need the amounts from the publisher.

                    Debbie

                  • Dennis Siwy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2007
                      Anna Markowicz and Nicholas Hnat both emigrated in 1907 but at different times. Both were born in 1896. They knew each other in Poland but were not from the same village. Anna was Roman Catholic and from Graziowa and Nicholas was Greek Catholic. I haven't done much on the Hnat side to date. My main concern right now is trying to find the place and date my grandfather, Maxsim Siwy, entered the country.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 22, 2007
                        Dennis,
                        OK.
                        I've not heard from Agata again. Either my Polish was so bad that I
                        scared her away or she's busy going through all the web pages I gave her.

                        Have you located your grandfather on any census? There's a column that
                        asks when the person immigrated as well as a column asking their
                        citizenship status. Having the answers from those columns should
                        narrow things down for you.

                        Debbie

                      • Dennis Siwy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 22, 2007
                          I have him on the 1920 census. Arrived in 1902. Neveer became a citizen because he died in 1926. Departed from Kamienne but I cannot find where he entered the country. I checked all the ports of entry and border crossing files with no luck.