Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Kwarciak

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 17 7:41 AM
      "Ciocia" is "aunt" in Polish and "Ciotka" is one of its endearing
      diminutive forms.

      Your Amcastazia is more likely "Anastasia" or "Anastazia" misspelt.

      Roman

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 17 12:58 PM
        Denise,

        (Roman) How about Anastazja in Polish?

        Anastazja Kostic probably didn't have naturalization papers of her own. If
        men became naturalized prior to about 1940 and were married, then their
        wives and children were automatically made citizens; no separate paperwork,
        no separate certificates.

        I wouldn't worry about Anasztzja's naturalization papers right now. I'm
        sure their marriage record will be in the Bukowsko marriage records and
        hopefully her birth place will be listed. If not, it won't be too hard to
        find as long as she was born in the BT area.

        Oops. I just checked something. The Bukowsko church baptismal records for
        the years 1878 - 1892 are not in Bukowsko. That means I do not have them
        either. I have a note that says ks. Kudl~a (the priest) said, "Franz
        Jo~zef" when I asked him about these records. I think it's possible that
        the records are in Lwo~w, but that doesn't mean you can get at them.

        I know the civil archives in Przemys~l doesn't have them. I know the
        Przemys~l Archdiocesan archives has church records from 1826-1890 because I
        received some and posted them onto Philip's site. That's how you and I
        connected. There might be something in the "spis" for him also. I haven't
        transcribed the spis records for the village of Bukowsko yet but since a
        house number is listed in that birth record for Jan Kwarciak (from
        Przemys~l Archdiocesan archives on Philip's site)
        http://www.semanchuk.com/gen/data/debbieg/BukowskoBirths.html
        I might be able to find the "house" records. I'll check that now.

        FYI there is also a big gap in the Bukowsko church marriage records between
        1889 to 1946. It appears we may have some difficulty locating your family's
        records Denise. However, let's not worry about that yet. Let's take one
        step at a time. When you get Jan Kwarciak's naturalization papers we'll
        move on to the next step. and you may find that I repeat everything I just
        wrote. ;)

        Debbie

        denisecardon wrote:
        > Chutka...that would be phonetic for me, it is what I have always heard
        > my father call Agnes, Jan's sister...
        >
        > The Nat Papers state Jan's Bday as May 10, 1886, same as the military
        > record, although I know from past experience Bday dates were not so
        > important.
        >
        > I should have tried for Amcastazia (Anna Kostic) records at the same
        > time, but my info on that branch is very limited.
        >
        > Again, thanks.
        >
        > Denise
      • Roman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 17 1:26 PM
          Of course. I simply offered the typical spellings for (Latin) entries.

          Roman

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17 1:30 PM
            Denise,
            I found the spis page with one of the Kwarciak families. Yours. I can't
            attach it to this email because the list doesn't allow attachments. I will
            send you an image of it. You will need to enlarge it. I will also post one
            on the Bukowsko Triangle email list web site and when that happens the list
            will be notified. FYI the pages in Spis Vol.II are 340-341 in the Wies~
            section.

            According to the spis Jan Kwarciak was born June 3, 1886. His parents were
            Wojciech Kwarciak, son of Stanisl~aw Kwarciak and Katarzyna Pil~at, and
            Katarzyna Jadwisienczak, daughter of Jan Jadwisienczak and Marianna Hujsak.
            The house numbers are different than the Bukowsko baptismal record from the
            Przemys~l Archdiocesan Archives, which is an official record. The house in
            that record is 34.

            The houses in the spis are listed as old house #38, new house #42 and newer
            house #63. You'll need to search the Bukowsko Triangle email list web site
            archives for an explanation of the house numbering situation in Bukowsko.

            Now, even though the house numbers are different, the notation in the spis
            was made after Jan Kwarciak was born so it is certainly possible that he
            was born in house #34.

            The spis also indicates that Jan Kwarciak and his sister Agata (!) went to
            America. Not necessarily at the same time. Also another sister, Karolina
            immigrated to France.

            According to the spis Jan had eight (8) siblings. I'll let you have the
            thrill of reading the rest!

            BTW I spotted another Kwarciak family on page 338 of Spis Vol. II in the
            wies~ section if you want to take a look at that too.

            Debbie

            denisecardon wrote:
            > Chutka...that would be phonetic for me, it is what I have always heard
            > my father call Agnes, Jan's sister...
            >
            > The Nat Papers state Jan's Bday as May 10, 1886, same as the military
            > record, although I know from past experience Bday dates were not so
            > important.
            >
            > I should have tried for Amcastazia (Anna Kostic) records at the same
            > time, but my info on that branch is very limited.
            >
            > Again, thanks.
            >
            > Denise
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • denisecardon
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 17 4:13 PM
              You can never know how much this means. I called my dad and told him
              his g-grand and g-g-grand parents names! He has been convinced I
              would never find anything about this side of the family!

              This is all very amazing...I can only hope that someday I can do the
              same for someone.

              I am reading the siblings as...

              Stanislaw
              Jan
              Ludwicka
              Agata
              Sylvester
              Fran?
              Maryanna
              Karolina
              Ludwick...

              My eyes aren't what they used to be so correct me if I am wrong.

              Thanks again!Everyone...

              Denise

              --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 17 5:14 PM
                Denise,
                Isn't your father Polish? He should know what can be accomplished by a
                determined Pole!

                The Polish spellings are correct except for:
                Stanisl~aw (slash through the 'L')
                Ludwika
                Sylwester (no 'V' in the Polish alphabet)
                Franiciszek (male)
                Ludwik

                It can be difficult reading the writing in a spis because the priest will
                slip from Latin into Polish. Then there's the scribble, the light writing,
                the cross outs and so on. It's no picnic. That's why I did all the other
                villages but not Bukowsko.

                Did you get their birth dates? The day of the month is above the line and
                the month number is below the line. Stanisl~aw was born September 13, 1883.

                All those notations on the page belong to your family too.

                I'm sure one day you'll be transcribing and translating records for others.
                It just takes some practice.

                Glad you found your family.

                Na zdrowie!
                Debbie

              • denisecardon
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18 1:53 AM
                  While count me among the determined Poles! What a divine obsession
                  this is!