New Village Photos - 2006

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11 8:15 PM
      New photos of my trip to Poland this past summer (2006) have been added to my web site. I added 64 (!) new villages (New Page) and I added new photos to old villages (New Images).

      Don't forget the MISCELLANEOUS section. The very last photo in the thumbnails is from 2006.

      Each village is distinguished by its old wojewo~dztwo on the web site. Enjoy! http://www.polishfamily.com/

      Debbie

      NEW VILLAGES

      Barbarka
      Barcin
      Bronislaw
      Brzesc Kujawski
      Budkow
      Byczyna
      Cminsk Koscielny
      Cmolas
      Dobrosolowo
      Elblag
      Gaski
      Gebice
      Gluchow
      Goszczanow
      Grabno
      Grabownica Starzenska
      Iwonicz
      Jablonka
      Jacmierz
      Jurowce
      Kazimierz Biskupi
      Kolbuszowa
      Kryg
      Kwiatonowice
      Labiszyn
      Lagow
      Libusza
      Liszki
      Makoszyn
      Malanow
      Maldyty
      Mogilno
      Myslatkowo
      Niebieszczany
      Odrzechowa
      Opatow
      Orchowo
      Ostrowite
      Paradyz
      Parchanie
      Piekary
      Pilichowo
      Piorkow
      Poraz
      Prusiek
      Rogi
      Rozanna
      Rymanow
      Sieradz
      Skarzyn
      Strachocina
      Stronsko
      Sulejow
      Sulistrowa
      Szczepanowo
      Tarnawa Dolne
      Turze Pole
      Warta
      Wietrzno
      Zagorzany
      Zarnow
      Zarszyn
      Zaslaw

      http://www.polishfamily.com
    • fwegerson@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12 10:31 AM

        Absolutely an amazing organization of pics and details! Congratulations!! And, thanks very, very much.

        Frank
        Brentwood, TN

        PS: I received some photos (200) this week on a CD that show a variety of scenes in Dlugie and Zarszyn. Would this collection be of interest to you? None are labeled.

        From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12 1:13 PM
          Frank,
          Thanks. It's actually a family project. When I shoot the photos, my son writes down what I shot. He also helped in scanning some photos from last year for my web site. My husband is the computer person. I scan and write and he "puts up" the photos.

          How kind of you to offer all those photos! I might be able to identify which village is which but if I can't then I won't be able to put them on my web site. I wouldn't want someone thinking their babcia went to the sklep (store) in Dl~ugie when they're looking at a store in Zarszyn! I'm funny that way.
          So, you decide.

          Last year someone on the list asked for a flower from her ancestral village. I could have just picked a flower from anywhere but I made sure I picked a flower from her village. I'm funny that way.

          I have a question! Doesn't anyone have a comment about the last photo thumbnail in the MISCELLANEOUS section of my web site?

          Debbie

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12 2:58 PM
            On Sep 12, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

            > I have a question! Doesn't anyone have a comment about the last photo
            > thumbnail in the MISCELLANEOUS section of my web site?

            About the cigarettes? I've seen these labels elsewhere in Europe, too.
            I'm not sure they're worded clearly enough, though. ;)

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12 3:09 PM
              You're the first!

              I wonder if people wouldn't start smoking in the U.S. if those warnings were on the cigarette cartons. It's always interesting to see what the U.S. companies do here and in other countries.

              > On Sep 12, 2006, at 4:13 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:
              >
              >> I have a question! Doesn't anyone have a comment about the last photo
              >> thumbnail in the MISCELLANEOUS section of my web site?
              >
              > About the cigarettes? I've seen these labels elsewhere in Europe, too.
              > I'm not sure they're worded clearly enough, though. ;)

            • seraph1818
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12 4:25 PM
                I have some dirt I brought back from the town my dad was born in.
                (Zmigrod Nowy) I suppose I could have found dirt anywhere, but "I'm
                funny that way", too.

                Debbie in California

                --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 12 7:11 PM
                  Since you kept this going...

                  I don't know if this can be done anymore considering what is not allowed as a carry-on item but, a great uncle of mine, whose mother is my link to Bukowsko, died several years ago. His daughter gave some of his ashes to a few select relatives. (sounds gross I know). I held onto Uncle Stas' ashes until last summer, 2005. I decided to take them with me to Poland and release them in the Bukowsko cemetery. Corny I know but I figured "he" was better off in his ancestors' cemetery than in my dresser drawer.

                  Debbie

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12 8:00 PM
                    On Sep 12, 2006, at 10:11 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

                    > Debbie,
                    > Since you kept this going...
                    >
                    > I don't know if this can be done anymore considering what is not
                    > allowed as a carry-on item but, a great uncle of mine, whose mother is
                    > my link to Bukowsko, died several years ago. His daughter gave some of
                    > his ashes to a few select relatives. (sounds gross I know). I held
                    > onto Uncle Stas' ashes until last summer, 2005. I decided to take them
                    > with me to Poland and release them in the Bukowsko cemetery. Corny I
                    > know but I figured "he" was better off in his ancestors' cemetery than
                    > in my dresser drawer.

                    Who are you calling corny? ;) My father's ashes have been scattered in
                    the cemetery in Nowotaniec, in the cemetery in Wolica, in the veterans
                    section of the cemetery in Minersville, on the steps of the Lincoln
                    Memorial with the wind blowing towards Arlington, and on the slopes of
                    a volcano in Iceland (I had some left over).

                    I also have a small collection of pressed flowers from various villages
                    and graveyards I've visited. They're the best souvenirs ever!

                  • elstonwe@att.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12 8:13 PM
                      I have to get in on this topic also. I too collected soil from the cemeteries of my ancestral villages (small amounts). When I got home I mixed them together and put them in little labeled jars as a keepsake for my two sisters.

                      With so many of us doing this, perhaps its the norm.

                      From: "seraph1818" <seraph@...>

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12 8:43 PM
                        OK. You win. ;)

                        Who are you calling corny? ;) My father's ashes have been scattered in
                        > the cemetery in Nowotaniec, in the cemetery in Wolica, in the veterans
                        > section of the cemetery in Minersville, on the steps of the Lincoln
                        > Memorial with the wind blowing towards Arlington, and on the slopes of
                        > a volcano in Iceland (I had some left over).
                        >
                        > I also have a small collection of pressed flowers from various villages
                        > and graveyards I've visited. They're the best souvenirs ever!
                        >
                        > bye
                      • caerlam
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 13 9:24 AM
                          Thanks for sharing your photos! I loved seeing the ones from
                          Zboiska and Wolica where my ggparents once lived.

                          And the cigarettes, we just came back from Ireland and they had the
                          same warnings. I think it's great.

                          I brought home a piece of the falling down house where my
                          grandfather was born in Ireland and some heather from his village.
                          It was a wonderful experience finding relatives and visiting the
                          places where my grandparents were born. Maybe I'll get to Poland
                          one day.

                          Carol

                          --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Philip Semanchuk

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 13 8:45 PM
                            I somehow think that he would like this, unless his memories were
                            not fond ones. Debbie R. - CA

                            <daveg@...> wrote:

                            > Debbie,
                            > Since you kept this going...
                            >
                            > I don't know if this can be done anymore considering what is not
                            allowed as a carry-on item but, a great uncle of mine, whose mother
                            is my link to Bukowsko, died several years ago. His daughter gave
                            some of his ashes to a few select relatives. (sounds gross I know).
                            I held onto Uncle Stas' ashes until last summer, 2005. I decided to
                            take them with me to Poland and release them in the Bukowsko
                            cemetery. Corny I know but I figured "he" was better off in his
                            ancestors' cemetery than in my dresser drawer.

                            > Debbie
                            >
                            > seraph1818 wrote:
                            > > I have some dirt I brought back from the town my dad was born
                            in.
                            > > (Zmigrod Nowy) I suppose I could have found dirt anywhere,
                            but "I'm
                            > > funny that way", too.
                            > >
                            > > Debbie in California

                          • seraph1818
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 13 8:49 PM
                              Aw, Phillip, you are showing your sentimental side. See, folks,
                              genealogy is not just about names and dates.