Polish Abbreviation

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14 6:17 AM
      Does anyone happen to know what the abbreviation SFA means in Polish?
      I have a photo of a plaque which states it was placed "there" by SFA in
      Sanok in 1962.

      The complete phrasing _exactly_ as it appears (including the different
      sized letters):
      "ZBoWiD przy SFA w Sanoku
      Grudzien 1962"

      Thank you
      Debbie
    • Roman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14 11:09 AM

        This one was fairly easy...

        See the following:

        http://www.autosan.pl/pl/firma/index&hist.php
        http://www.polskaludowa.com/dokumenty/pzpr/legitymacja_zbowid.htm

        Sanocka Fabryka Autobusów (SFA) became AUTOSAN in 1990.
        Związek Bojowników o Wolność i Demokrację (ZBoWiD)
        Union (association) of Fighters for Freedom and Democracy

        Your quote below says: "ZBoWiD near SFA in Sanok".

        I have no idea who the ZBWD were - during a Communist regime??

        Roman

        Debbie Greenlee wrote:
        > Does anyone happen to know what the abbreviation SFA means in Polish?
        > I have a photo of a plaque which states it was placed "there" by SFA in
        > Sanok in 1962.
        >
        > The complete phrasing _exactly_ as it appears (including the different
        > sized letters):
        > "ZBoWiD przy SFA w Sanoku
        > Grudzien 1962"
        >
        > Thank you
        > Debbie

      • Robert Koczera
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14 11:55 AM
          Hi,
          ZBoWiD Freedom and Democracy Fighters Assosiacion

          SFA Sanok's Bus Factory

          All the best

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14 12:41 PM
            I should add that ZBoWiD became the Związek Kombatantów RP i Byłych
            Więźniów Politycznych (ZKKRPiBWP), that is,

            Union of Polish Republic Fighters and Former Political Prisoners

            in 1990. One notable change was the inclusion of AK members, clearly
            happening after the Communists were expelled. Search for the given
            abbreviation to locate the Wikipedia entry for this organization.

            Roman

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14 1:35 PM
              Roman,
              Thank you so much.
              I know exactly where Autosan is in Sanok.
              Freedom Fighters in communist Poland circa 1962 seems odd but you know
              the Poles. ;)

              Debbie

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14 1:48 PM
                Robert!
                Thank you.
                Has it cooled off in Sanok? It is 105 F here. We do not go outside when
                it is this hot.

                Josh started school today but he does not have much homework.

                Give kisses to your family.
                Debbie