Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Przemysl Civil Archives - Archiwum Panstwowe w Przemyslu

  • Roman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2006

      You led me down an interesting path - only partially explored so far.
      Starting with the site you indicate below, we can link to a summary of
      the 1983 Act on National Archival Records

      http://isip.sejm.gov.pl/servlet/Search?todo=open&id=WDU19830380173

      This page points to a PDF file that is the text of the Act, with
      modifications annotated and shown in bold type, and dated Oct 5, 2005.
      In addition, it points to all other Acts that one way or another are
      connected with this one. The relevant entry is Article 17, Item 1, which
      states (in Polish, of course):

      Art 17. Item 1. Archival materials are accessible 30 years after their
      creation, if this does not infringe upon legally protected interests of
      the State and its citizens.

      Well, what does that say? That clause, not mentioned in the original
      statement you cite, covers it all! Perhaps, it requires some personal
      face-to-face negotiation with the archive director.

      Cheers,

      Roman

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2006
        On Jun 24, 2006, at 8:43 PM, Roman wrote:
        > Art 17. Item 1. Archival materials are accessible 30 years after their
        > creation, if this does not infringe upon legally protected interests of
        > the State and its citizens.
        >
        > Well, what does that say? That clause, not mentioned in the original
        > statement you cite, covers it all! Perhaps, it requires some personal
        > face-to-face negotiation with the archive director.

        Thanks very much to Roman and Debbie for researching this very
        interesting question.

        New question for the list -- where can I hire a lawyer for a day in
        Przemysl? =)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2006
          Well, I'll be bringing my own "adwokat". Unfortunately not only does he
          NOT know Polish law, he doesn't speak Polish! (moj ma~z)

          But, I do know of a person who is studying to be a judge who, as a
          working college "kid" has a genealogical research company in Warsaw,
          Michal~ Marciniak. If I have time before I leave I will contact him
          about this "situation."

          Ya' know, the records' availability in Przemys~l, whether civil or
          church, is getting worse instead of better!