1867 - 1884 Greek Catholic records online

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi everyone,
      I've put a searchable database online containing the church records
      (births, marriages and deaths) from the Greek Catholic parish of Wolica
      from 1867 - 1884. The database is here:
      http://semanchuk.com/gen/wzbr/index.html

      There's over 1000 records in the database (586 births, 127 marriages and
      372 deaths) so those of you with Greek Catholic ancestors from the area
      will probably find some gold if you dig. Please share what you learn on
      the list; sharing is the only thing that makes the list valuable.

      Thanks to the volunteers who made this possible. You know who you are.

      Bye all
      Philip
    • caerlam
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2003
        Am I the only one that struck gold?

        Here's what I found from the online records:

        Joamis Kramar married Maria Patal~owa Bil~as. They were from
        Ratnawica. I assume Maria was widowed. She had a daughter
        Anastasia Bil~as and she married a Kotyk. Joamis and Maria had 2
        children that I found, Ewa Kramar (married a Tymk) and Simeonis
        Kramar who married Maria Tarnawczyk. Semko and Maria settled in
        Zboiska and had 7 children, one being my great-grandfather, Basilius
        (aka to us as Wasyl) Kramar. The other siblings married Mazur and
        Rakoczy. Wasyl settled in Minersville, PA. I suspect that his
        wife, Juliana Kowalchick, may be Juliana Kowalczyk from Wolica born
        to Stefan Kowalczyk, but that has yet to be proven. I linked her
        sisters back to Wolica, I just can't link Juliana back yet. Anyone
        have any Kowalczyks from Wolica that went to Minersville?

        Maria Tarnawczyk's parents were Andreo Tarnawczyk and Ewa Petejkowa
        from Zboiska. Maria had 3 sisters that I found and they married
        Modranski and Woroniak.

        I was wondering about the "owa" ending. I know it's the feminine
        end for a surname but what would the correct surname be for
        Patal~owa? I saw it in the records a few different ways-without the
        owa, with an a or o after the l~. I'm wondering the same for
        Petejkowa. I saw it Petejka and Petejko. Which would it be?

        Thanks, Philip, nice site. Anyone else have luck with it?
        Carol
      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2003
          Carol,
          Most of my ancestors and relatives were born in Bukowsko itself.
          However, I do have Mazur and Rakoczy in the lines. Unfortunately, I
          don't have much to connect my Eliasz Mazur, born in Wolica, May 17,
          1872. His mother was Wiktoria Mazur. Wiktoria was not married when she
          gave birth to Eliasz. Eliasz married Franciszka (nee Zytka) Klepczyk
          from Bukowsko in 1896. They had 5 children plus 4 children that
          Franciszka brought with from her previous marriage to Stanisl~aw
          Klepczyk, two of whom belonged to Stanisl~aw and his FIRST wife,
          Katarzyna Zytka (Franciszka's sister). Not too confusing huh?

          I have the names of all the children as well as some of the children's
          spouses. I know some went to the U.S.

          The Rakoczy line is one I have recently become aware. A distant
          cousin in Bukowsko is married to Roman Rakoczy but that's all I've got.

          It sounds like you and Philip may have been the two luckiest (though
          Philip did the "capturing") on this list.

          As for the surname "Patal~owa". The 'owa' denotes a married woman, not
          her maiden name. Possible "real" surname could be:
          Patal~a

          As for "Petejkowa", how about "Petejko" or "Petejka"? I couldn't find
          anything in Hoffman's book, _Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings_ that
          specifically dealt with the suffix endings, 'ko' vs. 'ka'. I think both
          spellings derived from the same root word however.

          According to Hoffman on page 136, _usually_, but not always, 'ko'
          denotes a person from Ukraine or of Ukraine heritage. It is an ending
          used on a patronymic form.
          Petejka and Petejko are listed separately as surnames in Rymut's books
          but in 1990 there weren't any Petejka left in Poland.

          This 'ka' vs. 'ko' would be a good question for Hoffman. I'll ask him.
          Debbie

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2003
            On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 20:40, caerlam wrote:
            > Am I the only one that struck gold?

            I'm glad you said that, Carol. I thought the database would introduce a
            huge amount of new information to the group. The total silence has me
            pretty surprised. If people are put off by it, or not finding anything,
            I'd like to hear about it. Thanks, Carol, for sharing what you found.

            > Joamis Kramar married Maria Patal~owa Bil~as. They were from
            > Ratnawica. I assume Maria was widowed. She had a daughter
            > Anastasia Bil~as and she married a Kotyk. Joamis and Maria had 2
            > children that I found,

            > Ewa Kramar (married a Tymk)

            This should probably be "Tynyk" or "Tynik". Can you provide a link to
            the results where you found this name? I thought I corrected all of
            them.

            > Anyone
            > have any Kowalczyks from Wolica that went to Minersville?

            Have you looked through the Ellis Island database? Don't forget to look
            for Rowalczyk too. I've found that Ks are often misinterpreted as Rs.

            > Thanks, Philip, nice site.

            You're welcome.

            Bye
            Philip
          • caerlam
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2003
              --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie <daveg@a...> wrote:

              > The Rakoczy line is one I have recently become aware. A distant
              > cousin in Bukowsko is married to Roman Rakoczy but that's all I've
              got.

              I didn't follow Rakoczy and Mazur to closely since they married
              siblings of my blood relative. I recall seeing a Rakoczy on the
              Ellis records who came to Minersville to see his uncle, W. Kramar,
              my ggf. That's all I know about those names.

              > As for the surname "Patal~owa". The 'owa' denotes a married
              woman, not
              > her maiden name.

              Ah, makes sense.

              Possible "real" surname could be:
              > Patal~a

              Probably right.

              > As for "Petejkowa", how about "Petejko" or "Petejka"? I couldn't
              find
              > anything in Hoffman's book, _Polish Surnames: Origins and
              Meanings_ that
              > specifically dealt with the suffix endings, 'ko' vs. 'ka'. I think
              both
              > spellings derived from the same root word however.
              >
              > According to Hoffman on page 136, _usually_, but not always, 'ko'
              > denotes a person from Ukraine or of Ukraine heritage. It is an
              ending
              > used on a patronymic form.
              > Petejka and Petejko are listed separately as surnames in Rymut's
              books
              > but in 1990 there weren't any Petejka left in Poland.

              I'm leaning more towards they were Ukrainian/Rusyn/Lemko and not
              Polish.

              > This 'ka' vs. 'ko' would be a good question for Hoffman. I'll ask
              him.

              Thanks, Debbie.