BT borders - a new definition

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to make a complete list of all of the towns and villages in
      the BT, and to do so I need to define the BT exactly. I've reread my
      original definition carefully, and I see that it is pretty fuzzy. (I
      left the western edge completely undefined.) So I've come up with two
      suggested alternatives, a small, cozy BT and the larger, more inclusive
      BT. I realize that this is probably boring to most people, but I would
      love some comments and feedback on which definition would best serve
      the needs of our group. This map will help you to follow along:
      http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?x=721796&y=183743&z=4

      Here is the definition for the small, cozy BT:
      The northwestern corner is Besko which is at the intersection of route
      28 and the Wisłok River. Moving clockwise, the northern border of the
      BT is route 28 heading east to Sanok, then route 84 southeast to
      Zagórz. The eastern border is the Osława River which one can trace
      southwest out of Zagórz towards Komańcza. From Komańcza, the southern
      border follows route 897 west-northwest to Wisłok Wielki. The western
      border is formed by the Wisłok River which flows north towards Besko.

      Here is the definition of the large, inclusive BT:
      The northwestern corner is Rymanów. Moving clockwise, the northern
      border of the BT is route 28 heading east to Sanok, then route 84
      southeast to Zagórz. The eastern border is route 892 which mostly
      parallels the Osława River but sometimes runs east of it. 892 runs to
      Komańcza. From Komańcza, the eastern border follows route 897 southeast
      for a few kilometers to Radoszyce, then it follows the little road to
      Radoszyce until it hits the Polish-Slovak border. The Polish-Slovak
      border is also the southern border of the BT. It goes west-northwest
      until it gets to Lipowiec. From there, the western border of the BT
      follow the road out of Lipowiec north to Jaśliska and Daliowa where
      route 887 begins. The western border continues up 887 to Rymanów.

      The smaller definition has the advantage of being an actual triangle,
      but I like that the larger definition goes all the way to the Slovak
      border. That doesn't increase the number of towns in the BT all that
      much, and it seems simpler. A picture is worth a thousand words, and
      I'm trying to find a good map so that I can show the BT graphically.

      Any and all feedback is welcome.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
        Is their a time limit for responses on this? I need an extension.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
          On Jan 3, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

          > Philip,
          > Is their a time limit for responses on this? I need an extension.

          As a perpetual procrastinator, I hardly ever meet my own deadlines much
          less those of others.

          Speaking of deadlines, I didn't hear from anyone about saving any of
          the files in the BT files section. If anyone wants to save anything in
          particular, now is a good time to speak up.

          bye,

        • jsturn5@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
            Phillip
            Can I put in a request to save the Nowotaniec/Nagorzany photos?
            Thanks,
            Sharon

          • seraph1818
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2006
              Phillip,

              I would like to request that you to keep the 2 that I placed in the
              Photo section, if you feel they are worthy. Both are in the Misc.
              section on the Photos section. One is
              "Bukowsko-1946" and the other is "Sanok-1925". If you deem that
              Sanok is not w/in the parameters of the new town list you are
              compiling, than, of course, it should be deleted.

              Thanks,

              Debbie (California)

              --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Philip Semanchuk
              (snipped)

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2006
                I agree that BT should go down to the southern border of
                Poland/Slovakia.
                While transcribing records I came across village names that I wasn't
                familiar with but were very close to Bukowsko, the village. I think both
                of your plans include these "forgotten" villages.

                If we go with the larger area, perhaps we could change the name to
                Bukowsko Quadrilateral. ;)

                Out of curiosity I did a quick check to see how many powiats and gminas
                we would be adding though not necessarily including all of their
                villages. Everything is still in old wojewo~dztwo Krosno/new woj.
                Podkarpackie.

                Here's a list including some old info:
                VILLAGE GMINA POWIAT
                Bukowsko Bukowsko Sanok
                Wolica Bukowsko Sanok
                Pielnia Zarszyn Sanok
                Radoszyce Radoszyce Sanok
                Koman~cza Koman~cza Sanok
                Lipowiec Dukl~a Krosno
                Jas~liska Dukl~a Krosno
                Daliowa Dukl~a Krosno
                Rymano~w Rymano~w Krosno
                Zago~rz Zago~rz Sanok

                Personally, I don't have a problem with switching to the larger
                territory. I just have to keep telling myself, "I don't have to take
                pictures of everything." ;)

                I think I have a few books (in Polish with pictures) about some of the
                "new" places.

                I have a map I will scan to you privately. It might work.

                > This map will help you to follow along:
                > http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?x=721796&y=183743&z=4
                >
                > Here is the definition for the small, cozy BT:
                > The northwestern corner is Besko which is at the intersection of route
                > 28 and the Wisłok River. Moving clockwise, the northern border of the
                > BT is route 28 heading east to Sanok, then route 84 southeast to
                > Zagórz. The eastern border is the Osława River which one can trace
                > southwest out of Zagórz towards Komańcza. From Komańcza, the
                > southern border follows route 897 west-northwest to Wisłok Wielki. The western border is formed by the Wisłok River which flows north towards Besko.
                >
                > Here is the definition of the large, inclusive BT:
                > The northwestern corner is Rymanów. Moving clockwise, the northern
                > border of the BT is route 28 heading east to Sanok, then route 84
                > southeast to Zagórz. The eastern border is route 892 which mostly
                > parallels the Osława River but sometimes runs east of it. 892 runs to
                > Komańcza. From Komańcza, the eastern border follows route 897
                > southeast for a few kilometers to Radoszyce, then it follows the little road to Radoszyce until it hits the Polish-Slovak border. The Polish-Slovak border is also the southern border of the BT. It goes west-northwest until it gets to Lipowiec. From there, the western border of the BT follow the road out of Lipowiec north to Jaśliska and Daliowa where route 887 begins. The western border continues up 887 to Rymanów.
                >
                > The smaller definition has the advantage of being an actual triangle,
                > but I like that the larger definition goes all the way to the Slovak
                > border. That doesn't increase the number of towns in the BT all that
                > much, and it seems simpler. A picture is worth a thousand words, and
                > I'm trying to find a good map so that I can show the BT graphically.
                >
                > Any and all feedback is welcome.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Philip

              • telewizja11
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 15, 2006
                  Resume from Wikipedia. Are you(all) able to implement thise articles:
                  (english, french, yidish, ...)

                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmina_Bukowsko
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be%C5%82ch%C3%B3wka ,Belchowka
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar%C3%B3w ,Darow
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudy%C5%84ce ,Dudynce
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawornik_%28powiat_sanocki%29 ,Jawornik
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C4%99druszkowce ,Jedruszkowce
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamienne ,Kamienne
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlik%C3%B3w ,Karlikow
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulaszne ,Kulaszne
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koma%C5%84cza ,Komancza
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markowce ,Markowce
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadolany ,Nadolany
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag%C3%B3rzany ,Nagorzany
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowotaniec ,Nowotaniec
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odrzechowa ,Odrzechowa
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pielnia ,Pielnia
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pobiedno ,Pobiedno
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podgaj_%28Markowce%29 ,Podgaj
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusiek ,Prusiek
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezerwat_przyrody_Prze%C5%82om_Os%C5%
                  82awy_pod_Mokrem , pod Mokrem
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybysz%C3%B3w_%28wojew%C3%
                  B3dztwo_podkarpackie%29 ,Przybyszow
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C5%82onna ,Plonna
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radoszyce_%28wojew%C3%
                  B3dztwo_podkarpackie%29 ,Radoszyce
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratnawica_%28powiat_sanocki%29 ,Ratnawica
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rzeped%C5%BA ,Rzepedz
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokarnia_%28powiat_sanocki%29 ,Tokarnia
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wis%C5%82ok_Wielki ,Wislok Wielki
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_Piotrowa ,Wola Piotrowa
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_S%C4%99kowa ,Wola Senkowa
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolica_%28powiat_sanocki%29 ,Wolica
                  http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wysoczany ,Wosoczany
                • telewizja11
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 18, 2006
                    next villages :

                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czystogarb Czystogarb
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dar%C3%B3w Darow
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ja%C5%9Bliska Jasliska
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokre_%28powiat_sanocki%29 Mokre
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os%C5%82awica_%28wie%C5%9B%29Oslawica
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pielnica Pielnica
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokarnia_%28g%C3%B3ra%29 Tokarnia
                    http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zboiska_%28powiat_sanocki%29 Zboiska

                    --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "telewizja11"

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 19, 2006
                      Marek,
                      I was able to understand most of what is written about Wola Piotrowa:
                      http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_Piotrowa

                      I did not see mention of this being a L~emko village at one time. Prior
                      to Akcja Wisl~a there was a Greek Catholic cerkiew in this village as
                      well as a cemetery. The L~emko cemetery is situated next to the current
                      cemetery although only one or two headstones are visible in the old
                      cemetery. The people who live in Wola Piotrowa now have only been there
                      since the late 1960s. They belong to a sect of the Seventh Day
                      Adventist church.

                      Are you asking people on the list to translate these articles into
                      English and post them on Wikipedia?

                      Debbie

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Debbie and all,
                        Greek-church in Wola Piotrowa was pulled down in 1903. It functioned
                        since 1550 to 1903, next greek-catholics belonged to parish in
                        Karliko'w, ... additions and translations(english, french, yidish)
                        will be seen nice :)
                        M,

                        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 20, 2006
                          Marek,
                          For some reason I thought the GC church was in Wola Piotrowa after 1903.
                          I don't recall seeing remnants of a cerkiew in Karliko~w. I will admit
                          that I only got out of the car a couple of times while I was taking
                          pictures in Karliko~w this past summer. Realizing that the GC cerkiew
                          was in Karliko~w raises another question.
                          Why is there a L~emko cemetery in Wola Piotrowa? I've seen the cemetery.
                          I've walked some of it and took a few photographs of what is left of a
                          headstone. Was there a cemetery in Karliko~w also?

                          Debbie

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 20, 2006
                            Marek and list,

                            Although the "Bukowsko Gmina" ("W Gminie Bukowsko") book states that the
                            Greek Catholic cerkiew in Wola Piotrowa was destroyed in 1903 due to
                            age, the book, "Church in Ruins" by Iwanusiw states that a cerkiew was
                            built in Wola Piotrowa in 1921. No mention is made of the previous
                            cerkiew. Iwanusiw notes that all that is left of the 1921 cerkiew is a
                            cross which appears to be in the yard behind a house. Iwanusiw does not
                            indicate when the 1921 Wola Piotrowa cerkiew was taken apart.

                            Brian Lenius book, "Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia" indicates that
                            Karliko~w was the GC parish for Wola Piotrowa. The time period covered
                            for this book is 1896-1914 so Lenius would be correct about Karliko~w
                            being the GC parish for Wola Piotrowa AS OF 1914 and possibly until 1921
                            if Iwanusiw's information is correct.

                            Seems we have conflicting information about the Wola Piotrowa cerkiew in
                            the XX century.

                            I still question the age of the cemetery in Wola Piotrowa. I'm almost
                            certain it was used until just after WWII.

                            Is there a cemetery in Karliko~w? I don't remember seeing one when I
                            was there last summer, but I didn't walk around a lot in Karliko~w.

                            Debbie

                            Debbie Greenlee wrote:

                            > Marek,
                            > For some reason I thought the GC church was in Wola Piotrowa after
                            > 1903.
                            > I don't recall seeing remnants of a cerkiew in Karliko~w. I will admit
                            > that I only got out of the car a couple of times while I was taking
                            > pictures in Karliko~w this past summer. Realizing that the GC cerkiew
                            > was in Karliko~w raises another question.
                            > Why is there a L~emko cemetery in Wola Piotrowa? I've seen the
                            > cemetery. I've walked some of it and took a few photographs of what is
                            > left of a headstone. Was there a cemetery in Karliko~w also?
                            >
                            > Debbie
                          • telewizja11
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 20, 2006
                              <daveg@a...> wrote:
                              > I've walked some of it and took a few photographs of what is left
                              of a
                              > headstone. Was there a cemetery in Karliko~w also?
                              > Debbie

                              ===============
                              Debbie,
                              yes, see more at my article in wikipedia, i took this photo 6 m. ago,
                              M,
                              ===============

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 20, 2006
                                Marek,
                                Gdzie jest cmentarz w Karliko~w?
                                Napisac~ mapa prosze~?

                                Debbie

                                telewizja11 wrote:

                                > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee
                                > <daveg@a...> wrote:
                                > > I've walked some of it and took a few photographs of what is left
                                > of a headstone. Was there a cemetery in Karliko~w also?
                                > > Debbie
                                >
                                > ===============
                                > Debbie,
                                > yes, see more at my article in wikipedia, i took this photo 6 m. ago,
                                > M,
                                > ===============
                              • nancy sherwood
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                  Hi All,
                                  Is there any possibility of finding Wola Piotrowa church records by writing to Karlikow? I am researching my grandparents Maria Labant and Fesko Chruzczc and also my great grandparents Dymetro Chruszcz and Maria Gutyez and Steve Labant and Eva Homerda. They were Greek Catholics. My grandparents came to America in 1903 and 1906, around the time the GC church in WP was taken down.
                                  Thanks,
                                  Nancy Sherwood

                                  <daveg@a...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_Piotrowa
                                  >
                                  > I did not see mention of this being a L~emko village at one time.
                                  Prior
                                  > to Akcja Wisl~a there was a Greek Catholic cerkiew in this village
                                  as
                                  > well as a cemetery. The L~emko cemetery is situated next to the
                                  current
                                  > cemetery although only one or two headstones are visible in the old
                                  > cemetery. The people who live in Wola Piotrowa now have only been
                                  there
                                  > since the late 1960s. They belong to a sect of the Seventh Day
                                  > Adventist church.
                                  >

                                  > Are you asking people on the list to translate these articles into
                                  > English and post them on Wikipedia?
                                  >
                                  > Debbie
                                  >

                                  > telewizja11 wrote:
                                  > > > Resume from Wikipedia. Are you(all) able to implement thise

                                  ---------------------------------

                                • telewizja11
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                    Hi Nancy,
                                    in State Archive in Przemysl are records from 1784-1850 only, adress:
                                    Archiwum Panstwowe w Przemyślu, 37-700 Przemysl, ul. Lelewela 4

                                    papa, M

                                    --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, nancy sherwood
                                    <ns_mls@y...> wrote:

                                    > Hi All,
                                    > Is there any possibility of finding Wola Piotrowa church records
                                    by writing to Karlikow? I am researching my grandparents Maria Labant
                                    and Fesko Chruzczc and also my great grandparents Dymetro Chruszcz
                                    and Maria Gutyez and Steve Labant and Eva Homerda. They were Greek
                                    Catholics. My grandparents came to America in 1903 and 1906, around
                                    the time the GC church in WP was taken down.
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Nancy Sherwood
                                    >
                                    > telewizja11 <telewizja11@y...> wrote:
                                    > Debbie and all,
                                    > Greek-church in Wola Piotrowa was pulled down in 1903. It
                                    functioned
                                    > since 1550 to 1903, next greek-catholics belonged to parish in
                                    > Karliko'w, ... additions and translations(english, french, yidish)
                                    > will be seen nice :)
                                    > M,
                                    >

                                    > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee
                                    > <daveg@a...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Marek,
                                    > > I was able to understand most of what is written about Wola
                                    > Piotrowa:
                                    > > http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_Piotrowa
                                    > >
                                    > > I did not see mention of this being a L~emko village at one time.
                                    > Prior
                                    > > to Akcja Wisl~a there was a Greek Catholic cerkiew in this
                                    village
                                    > as
                                    > > well as a cemetery. The L~emko cemetery is situated next to the
                                    > current
                                    > > cemetery although only one or two headstones are visible in the
                                    old
                                    > > cemetery. The people who live in Wola Piotrowa now have only been
                                    > there
                                    > > since the late 1960s. They belong to a sect of the Seventh Day
                                    > > Adventist church.
                                    > >

                                    > > Are you asking people on the list to translate these articles into
                                    > > English and post them on Wikipedia?
                                    > >
                                    > > Debbie

                                    > > > articles:

                                    > 29 ,Jawornik
                                    > C5%
                                    > > > 29 ,Ratnawica
                                    > 29 ,Tokarnia

                                    Service.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                      Nancy,
                                      Here's the link for the Polish national archives in Przemys~l:
                                      http://www.przemysl.ap.gov.pl/ev/index.html

                                      According to _Ksie~gi Metrykalme i Stanu Cywilnego w archiwach
                                      pan~stwowych w Polsce_ (basically this is an index of all of the
                                      holdings of the Polish civil archives in Poland), the civil archives in
                                      Przemys~l has the Greek Catholic records from Karliko~w for births,
                                      1784-1843 and deaths, 1785-1850.

                                      I think the Roman Catholic archdiocesan archives in Przemys~l may also
                                      have Greek Catholic records but I can't seem to get through to either of
                                      the web sites!

                                      http://www.przemysl.opoka.org.pl/

                                      http://www.przemysl.ksm.org.pl/strony/okregi.php

                                      Here's another RC Przemys~l archdiocesan web site you might
                                      want to look at:
                                      http://www.ksmap.pl/

                                      LDS has filmed the Greek Catholic records mentioned above, 1784-1850:
                                      http://tinyurl.com/772de
                                      "Ksiegi metrykalne, 1784-1850"

                                      Using Matthew Bielawa's searchable database you might find out if the GC
                                      records are in the Lwow civil archives:
                                      http://www.halgal.com/halgal.asp

                                      The Greek Catholic archdiocese in Przemys~l:
                                      http://www.archidiecezja-gr.opoka.org.pl/
                                      Most of this site is in Ukrainian so I can't tell you what's here.

                                      I don't recall seeing a church or cerkiew in Karliko~w during my summer
                                      visit. Karliko~w is not that big. It's only a couple of very short
                                      streets so I don't think I missed it.

                                      I know you didn't ask about this Nancy, but maybe you'd like to see some
                                      photos of the Karliko~w ski lift, go here and click on "Galeria"

                                      http://www.wyciag-karlikow.pl/

                                      Debbie

                                    • nancy sherwood
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                        Thank you so much. I'll let you know if I get any new leads.
                                        Nancy