Re: [bukowsko_triangle] 2002 Rymut Surname Listings

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
      Very nice of you Debbie, thanks. BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it but
      while I was in the BT I tried to get a phone book but there are no spare
      ones to be had. My cousins don't even have one; they have to beg the
      phone company for one.

      Philip

    • edjmendyka@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
        Hi Debbie,
        This is the first time that I'm writing to the group. But since you asked folks to submit some surnames for "lookup" I thought that I'd submit my mother's maiden surname which was Twardzik and she came from the village of Mrukowa
        Any help that you can give me will be very much appreciated.
        Ed Mendyka
      • haroldkellerman@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
          debbie;
          just read your message.
                 1.  where do you get the disk and how much ?

                 2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
                       a) Kellerman
                       b) Blechner

          thank you very much,

          harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny

          haroldkellerman@...
        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
            In 2002, I was able to get the clerk at the Hotel Jagiellonski to
            photocopy the white and yellow page (there's only one page!) for
            Bukowsko. Sorry, at the time there wasn't a Bukowsko Triangle list or I
            would have asked for other villages.

            My experience has been that you can purchase the telephone books at
            special places in the bigger cities called "Telekomunikacja" biuro
            (office). I know Sanok has an office. Telephone books are broken down
            according to the _old_ wojewo~dztwo. Generally, you can buy other woj.
            books at a given office. There's no telling what will be available. If
            you hit the office at the right time (summer) you might even be able to
            purchase the pervious year's book for less since the new ones would be
            due out soon. I had this experience in Krakow. Some books are pretty
            small and others are quite large.

            The PGSA and PGSCT & NE have a number of phone books and will do
            look-ups for a small fee, as will members of email lists who have phone
            books. Unless you have a particular village to check, it is very time
            consuming to check a whole phone book for a surname (trolling). Each
            book first lists each village and then it lists the names within each
            village. So, you almost end up looking at each page of the phone book;
            each woj. has a LOT of villages.

            BTW In 2000, while attending a knight's annual tournament at Golub
            Dobrzyn (up north) I picked up a telephone book at one of the "tents".
            You never know where they'll turn up.

            >BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it but while I was in the BT I tried to get a phone book but there are no spare ones to be had. My cousins don't even have one; they have to beg the phone company for one.
            > Philip

          • Debbie
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
              Harold,
              I did not find any surnames with the exact spelling you gave.

              As of Sept. 2002, there was only one person in Poland with the surname,
              Kelerman. Note the spelling. That one person was a female living in the
              city S~wie~tochl~owice (which is also the powiat) in old woj.
              Katowice/new woj. S~la~skie.

              Kellermann: 22 in Poland.
              1 male, 1 female in the city of Wrocl~aw.
              1 female in powiat Wieliczka, old woj. Krako~w/new woj. Mal~opolskie
              3 males, 1 female in city of Krako~w, old woj. Krako~w/new woj.
              Mal~opolskie
              2 females in city of Opole, old woj. Opole/New woj. Opolskie
              1 male, 2 females in city of Katowice, old woj. Katowice/new woj.
              S~la~skie
              1 male, 2 females in city of S~wie~tochl~owice, old woj.Katowice/new
              woj. S~la~skie.
              1 female in powiat of Pin~czo~w, old woj. Kielce/new woj.
              S~wietokrzyskie

              The Kellermanns are certainly spread out thinly.

              Hope this helps.
              Debbie

              haroldkellerman@... wrote:
              > debbie;
              > just read your message.
              > 1. where do you get the disk and how much ?
              >
              > 2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
              > a) Kellerman
              > b) Blechner
              >
              > thank you very much,
              > harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny
              > haroldkellerman@...
            • Debbie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
                Harold,
                I looked-up Blechner. I just didn't put it in the first email.

                Blechner. There are 22 in Poland and they're all in one powiat.
                9 males and 13 females in powiat Lubliniec, old woj. Cze~stochowa/new
                woj. S~la~skie.

                As for the CD itself, you can purchase it through PGSA. Here's the link
                to their web site and the CD is advertised on their front page:
                http://www.pgsa.org

                Debbie

                haroldkellerman@... wrote:
                > debbie;
                > just read your message.
                > 1. where do you get the disk and how much ?
                >
                > 2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
                > a) Kellerman
                > b) Blechner
                >
                > thank you very much,
                > harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny
                > haroldkellerman@...

              • Debbie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
                  Ed,
                  There are 1,190 people in Poland with the surname, Twardzik.
                  They're spread all over. However, there are 34 males and 30 females in
                  powiat Jasl~o, which is the powiat for the village of Mrukowa.

                  Hope that helps and hope you write to the list again with a question,
                  answer, information or experience.

                  Debbie

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12, 2003
                    On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 17:31, Debbie wrote:
                    > My experience has been that you can purchase the telephone books at
                    > special places in the bigger cities called "Telekomunikacja" biuro
                    > (office). I know Sanok has an office.

                    You're right on target, as usual. I've been to the Telekomunikacja biuro
                    in Sanok when I was there last summer. They were all out of phone books,
                    but that was indeed the place to get 'em.

                    From the It-Could-Be-Worse Dept.: When I was in L'viv in May, some of my
                    travelmates bought postcards to send home, but the main post office was
                    out of stamps.