2002 Rymut Surname Listings

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9 7:20 AM
      I have recently acquired the Dictionary of Surnames in Current Use in
      Poland at the Beginning of the 21st Century_ compiled by Kazimierz
      Rymut.
      The information in this CD, which is in English, was taken from PESEL's
      database as of September, 2002.

      This database is more detailed than the 1990 compilation which is on
      line because it breaks down to powiat instead of just wojewo~dztwo.

      If anyone would like me to do some look-ups, please let me know. I will
      need to have an exact, correct Polish spelling, including diacritical
      marks which can be indicated using the tilde ~ after the effected
      letter. I am familiar enough with the Polish alphabet that I'll know
      which mark to substitute for the tilde.

      If the name is prevalent, I won't be able to give a breakdown of all the
      powiats (see Bednarz below) so if you are interested in a specific area
      (Bukowsko, Sanok) let me know and I will quote those numbers.

      EX: Z~ytka: 320 in Poland in 2002. 111 males and 103 females living in
      Sanok powiat.

      Zadylak: 149 in Poland. 29 males, 24 females in Sanok powiat.
      Bednarz: 15,876 in Poland. 47 males and 49 females in Sanok powiat.
      Chrza~szcz: 3,592 in Poland. 83 males and 105 females in Sanok powiat.
      Hujsak: 24 in Poland. 11 males and 10 females in Sanok powiat.

      I only checked the Sanok powiat for the above since that covers "our"
      area on this list.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9 8:55 AM
        Very nice of you Debbie, thanks. BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it but
        while I was in the BT I tried to get a phone book but there are no spare
        ones to be had. My cousins don't even have one; they have to beg the
        phone company for one.

        Philip

      • edjmendyka@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9 9:16 AM
          Hi Debbie,
          This is the first time that I'm writing to the group. But since you asked folks to submit some surnames for "lookup" I thought that I'd submit my mother's maiden surname which was Twardzik and she came from the village of Mrukowa
          Any help that you can give me will be very much appreciated.
          Ed Mendyka
        • haroldkellerman@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9 1:17 PM
            debbie;
            just read your message.
                   1.  where do you get the disk and how much ?

                   2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
                         a) Kellerman
                         b) Blechner

            thank you very much,

            harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny

            haroldkellerman@...
          • Debbie
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9 2:31 PM
              In 2002, I was able to get the clerk at the Hotel Jagiellonski to
              photocopy the white and yellow page (there's only one page!) for
              Bukowsko. Sorry, at the time there wasn't a Bukowsko Triangle list or I
              would have asked for other villages.

              My experience has been that you can purchase the telephone books at
              special places in the bigger cities called "Telekomunikacja" biuro
              (office). I know Sanok has an office. Telephone books are broken down
              according to the _old_ wojewo~dztwo. Generally, you can buy other woj.
              books at a given office. There's no telling what will be available. If
              you hit the office at the right time (summer) you might even be able to
              purchase the pervious year's book for less since the new ones would be
              due out soon. I had this experience in Krakow. Some books are pretty
              small and others are quite large.

              The PGSA and PGSCT & NE have a number of phone books and will do
              look-ups for a small fee, as will members of email lists who have phone
              books. Unless you have a particular village to check, it is very time
              consuming to check a whole phone book for a surname (trolling). Each
              book first lists each village and then it lists the names within each
              village. So, you almost end up looking at each page of the phone book;
              each woj. has a LOT of villages.

              BTW In 2000, while attending a knight's annual tournament at Golub
              Dobrzyn (up north) I picked up a telephone book at one of the "tents".
              You never know where they'll turn up.

              >BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it but while I was in the BT I tried to get a phone book but there are no spare ones to be had. My cousins don't even have one; they have to beg the phone company for one.
              > Philip

            • Debbie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9 5:56 PM
                Harold,
                I did not find any surnames with the exact spelling you gave.

                As of Sept. 2002, there was only one person in Poland with the surname,
                Kelerman. Note the spelling. That one person was a female living in the
                city S~wie~tochl~owice (which is also the powiat) in old woj.
                Katowice/new woj. S~la~skie.

                Kellermann: 22 in Poland.
                1 male, 1 female in the city of Wrocl~aw.
                1 female in powiat Wieliczka, old woj. Krako~w/new woj. Mal~opolskie
                3 males, 1 female in city of Krako~w, old woj. Krako~w/new woj.
                Mal~opolskie
                2 females in city of Opole, old woj. Opole/New woj. Opolskie
                1 male, 2 females in city of Katowice, old woj. Katowice/new woj.
                S~la~skie
                1 male, 2 females in city of S~wie~tochl~owice, old woj.Katowice/new
                woj. S~la~skie.
                1 female in powiat of Pin~czo~w, old woj. Kielce/new woj.
                S~wietokrzyskie

                The Kellermanns are certainly spread out thinly.

                Hope this helps.
                Debbie

                haroldkellerman@... wrote:
                > debbie;
                > just read your message.
                > 1. where do you get the disk and how much ?
                >
                > 2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
                > a) Kellerman
                > b) Blechner
                >
                > thank you very much,
                > harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny
                > haroldkellerman@...
              • Debbie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9 6:00 PM
                  Harold,
                  I looked-up Blechner. I just didn't put it in the first email.

                  Blechner. There are 22 in Poland and they're all in one powiat.
                  9 males and 13 females in powiat Lubliniec, old woj. Cze~stochowa/new
                  woj. S~la~skie.

                  As for the CD itself, you can purchase it through PGSA. Here's the link
                  to their web site and the CD is advertised on their front page:
                  http://www.pgsa.org

                  Debbie

                  haroldkellerman@... wrote:
                  > debbie;
                  > just read your message.
                  > 1. where do you get the disk and how much ?
                  >
                  > 2. the names that i would appreciate you looking are:
                  > a) Kellerman
                  > b) Blechner
                  >
                  > thank you very much,
                  > harold kellerman, brooklyn, ny
                  > haroldkellerman@...

                • Debbie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9 6:03 PM
                    Ed,
                    There are 1,190 people in Poland with the surname, Twardzik.
                    They're spread all over. However, there are 34 males and 30 females in
                    powiat Jasl~o, which is the powiat for the village of Mrukowa.

                    Hope that helps and hope you write to the list again with a question,
                    answer, information or experience.

                    Debbie

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 12 4:44 PM
                      On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 17:31, Debbie wrote:
                      > My experience has been that you can purchase the telephone books at
                      > special places in the bigger cities called "Telekomunikacja" biuro
                      > (office). I know Sanok has an office.

                      You're right on target, as usual. I've been to the Telekomunikacja biuro
                      in Sanok when I was there last summer. They were all out of phone books,
                      but that was indeed the place to get 'em.

                      From the It-Could-Be-Worse Dept.: When I was in L'viv in May, some of my
                      travelmates bought postcards to send home, but the main post office was
                      out of stamps.