Lemko Graves

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2003
      Where is the cemetery where your Lemko ancestors are buried?

      During my visit in 2002, I found a Lemko cemetery in Wola Pietrowa which
      is south of Bukowsko (the road leads right to the village). The village
      itself sat empty for about 20 years after the Lemkos were removed. The
      people who live there now are Christian fundamentalists; don't remember
      if they are Polish, Czech, or combination. They moved into the village
      and resurrected it in the 1960's I believe (I wrote about it in my 2002
      trip diary). Anyway, the Lemko cemetery would never be found if you
      didn't know it was there at one time. The locals know about it though.
      Their current cemetery (which looks untended) sits right next to the
      Lemko cemetery on the side of a small hill. I only found one Lemko stone
      grave marker but the inscription (if any) was facing the ground. I am
      sure more markers and graves can be found if one had the use of a
      weedeater and lawnmower and probably some shovels.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2003
        On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:37, Debbie wrote:
        > Philip,
        > Where is the cemetery where your Lemko ancestors are buried?

        I've never been able to find any of the graves of my Lemko ancestors.
        They should be buried in Wolica, but I've looked at every stone in that
        cemetery and none of the old ones are Semanczyks. I think my ancestors
        are there but the stones are gone.

        > During my visit in 2002, I found a Lemko cemetery in Wola Pietrowa which
        > is south of Bukowsko (the road leads right to the village). The village
        > itself sat empty for about 20 years after the Lemkos were removed. The
        > people who live there now are Christian fundamentalists; don't remember
        > if they are Polish, Czech, or combination. They moved into the village
        > and resurrected it in the 1960's I believe (I wrote about it in my 2002
        > trip diary). Anyway, the Lemko cemetery would never be found if you
        > didn't know it was there at one time. The locals know about it though.
        > Their current cemetery (which looks untended) sits right next to the
        > Lemko cemetery on the side of a small hill. I only found one Lemko stone
        > grave marker but the inscription (if any) was facing the ground. I am
        > sure more markers and graves can be found if one had the use of a
        > weedeater and lawnmower and probably some shovels.

        Thanks for the tip! I can see where Wola Pietrowa is on the map, and it
        can't be much harder to get to than the cemetery in Belchowka which was
        finally found by Jaromir Wilusz:
        http://semanchuk.com/gen/places/BukowskoTriangle.html#belchowka

        I will try to sneak a lawnmower in my carryon luggage. ;)