Re: Jewish Surnames in Galicia

  • mareksilarski
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2004
      Decline of 18th century was hump for jewish onomastics
      in Galicia. Emperor Josef II Habsburg, has issued regulation in year
      1787, on which force, own whole jewish population should
      descents and surnames constant. If did not have
      jews of surnames such, it belonged to transmit them.
      Austrian officers were framers of that new personal names.
      It appoint special officer commissions in this purpose.
      So, all jewish surnames were transmitted in this time rise of
      ingenuity of bureaucrat.
      Anyway, mechanical hand out them jews to manner completely and
      accidental. It could be polish surname typically, however,
      it use german forms most often.

      This problem is with Jews, that did not have they long
      surnames. Constant surnames have forced on them Austrians,
      through "Izraelickie Ksiegi Metrykalne" and there it belongs to
      search, problem in it that they awfully has behaved not enough.
      One note finally, surname was diabolic "lo dawek beemunato,
      polish - goj" invention for orthodox Jew, it treated which as
      everything that "gojowskie".
      Frequent changes from there too and surnames and spelling .
      It caused many commotions, perhaps, anyway, it walked about it.
      My friends, which from year from tombstones
      research inscription ascertain that, several has surnames on
      several thousands tombstones only and there are modern Jews
      always ( attorney at law, physicians ).

      compilation by : Marek

      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee