Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Sarna

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27 1:25 PM
      Pam,

      I found Frank and Victoria Zaborowski on the 1930 US federal census
      for Ohio. They lived at 3421 East 76th St. in Cleveland, Ohio.

      Frank was 56 (DOB 1874) and Victoria was 51 (DOB 1879). They were
      married in 1898.
      Their children, all of whom were born in Ohio:
      Michael age 27 (DOB 1903)
      Helen age 22 (DOB 1908)
      Stella age 21 (DOB 1909)
      Olga age 17 (DOB 1913)

      Frank immigrated in 1885 and both he and Victoria were naturalized.

      Since Frank was only 11 when he immigrated, he probably came over with
      his parents. Victoria does not list her year of arrival.

      I found them in the 1920 census living in Colebrook, Ashtabula County,
      Ohio.
      All of their children are listed.
      Frank states he arrived in 1896.
      Victoria states she arrived in 1898.
      This census states that they were naturalized in 1902.
      They lived on a farm which means there is a 1920 Farm Schedule you can
      locate which might have some interesting information. Farm Schedules
      can be found in LDS microfilms or through NARA.

      I found them in the 1910 census living in Cleveland, Ohio.

      There is a son, Joe age 4 (DOB 1906) who probably died prior to 1920.
      There is also a daughter, Mary age 9 (DOB 1901) who was either married
      by the time of the 1920 census or she died.
      Olga is not listed since she was born in 1913.

      Frank states he arrived in 1894 and was a citizen by this time.
      Victoria states she arrived in 1896.

      Frank owned a dairy when this census was taken.
      I found them in the 1900 census living in Cleveland, Ohio.

      Frank states he was born in 1872 in RUSSIAN controlled Poland and that
      he immigrated in 1894 and he is still an alien. This means he became a
      citizen between 1900 and 1910.

      Victoria states she was born in 1877 in RUSSIAN controlled Poland.
      This means she was not from southern Poland (Bukowsko).
      Victoria states she immigrated in 1895.

      Only one daughter, Anna age 1 (DOB 1899) is listed. She didn't show-up
      on the 1910 census so she must have died before that census.

      Victoria also states that she had two children as of 1900, with one
      (Anna) living. This means Victoria's first child died prior to June
      1900, the date the census was taken.
      I couldn't find a Passenger Arrival Record for either Frank or Victoria.

      I would suggest that you locate Frank Zaborowski's Declaration of
      Intent and Petition for Naturalization. These documents might be in
      the courts or the archives of Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
      It is also possible that LDS or NARA has filmed these records but I
      think you should check with the county first.

      Hopefully Wiktorja Sarna Zaborowski's place of birth will be listed.

      You might also try to locate an obituary to see if any other family
      members were listed.

      BTW How do you know that Wiktorja's maiden name was Sarna?

      Debbie

      Pj Riggs wrote:

      Philip,
      I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of
      them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available
      online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on
      dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the
      avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in
      through Canada? I have search that too but I have not found any
      matches...some close but not sure. I am trying to search from living
      europe to see if I can find them getting on the boat...
      I found a Victoria Sarna age 27
      Ship Gellert ~ Hamburg Passnger
      Departed may 22 1887 and Arrived June 3 1887
      with a child son Wisidor age 3
      reside Sendziszow, Osterreich (Austria)
      I have not been able to see the records here on the arrivial - it
      seems that ship never had a record of arrival on the US side.
      I am not sure if this is her she is 10 years older. I also can not
      find her anywhere else or the son once arrived.

      thanks
      Pam

      > I am still at a lost: I came across my great mother cerificate of
      death... I am searching where she came from. I beleive Victoria
      (Sarna) Zaborowski came from the lower area of Poland. She had a
      brother who came with her and then return to Europe somewhere (was
      told and letters are gone or lost) and perhaps a sister but I have
      no names or records of them.
      > These are the facts stated on death certificate:
      > Name: Victoria (Wiktorja) Zaborowski
      > Date of birth: May 10, 1878;
      > age 71;
      > Died May 22, 1949; Cleveland, Ohio
      > married: Frank Zaborowski in Cleveland, OH (1898 ~ checking on the
      information on that through church records as to establish correct
      information)
      > Occupation: housewife
      > Born: Poland
      > Father name: Joseph Sarna
      > Mother name: Anna Dominik
      >
      > Now looking for the parents Joseph and Anna of Poland. I know Sarna
      a big name both Jewish and Catholic in the 1800's. My Great
      Grandmother was Catholic here in America. At least the children all
      grew up Catholic.

      > Thanks for any more information you can provide me with.
      >
      > Pam

    • Pj Riggs
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28 1:08 PM
        Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass the marriage report.  I have sent letter off to the church to see if they have more information and have her death cerifitcate.  That is where I have the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her birth the same.   I am good from 1898-1949.  That why I am searching from the the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles.  Makes one head spin.

        Pam

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28 8:51 PM
          On Aug 28, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Pj Riggs wrote:

          > Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass the marriage report. I have sent letter off to the church to see if they have more information and have her death cerifitcate. That is where I have the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her birth the same. I am good from 1898-1949. That why I am searching from the the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles. Makes one head spin.

          Hi Pam,
          I agree with Debbie's recommendation that you focus on finding either US-based records or port-of-entry records for Victoria and/or Frank. Searching all of "Poland" (which was a nebulous concept in that day and age) is really shooting in the dark. I know you're frustrated, but I think searching in Europe without more details is going to be even more frustrating than continuing to search over here.

          > I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of
          > them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available
          > online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on
          > dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the
          > avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in
          > through Canada?

          You sound a little unsure whether or not you've conducted a thorough, imaginative search through the records of the most likely ports of entry (Philly and Ellis Island). Have you searched on "Larna" instead of "Sarna", for example? I found a Semanczyk mis-transcribed as Lemanczyk as a result of overly flowerly handwriting. Also, you *do* have an approximate arrival year, which is not too bad.

          I think it's unlikely that they came through Canada but if there's a Canadian equivalent of ellisisland.org (or anything close) it would certainly be worth having a look.

          Good luck
          Philip

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29 5:07 AM
            fOLKS, ancestry has free access to immigration and travel records until
            sept 2nd... some of you might find this useful... happy hunting...
            carol

            On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Philip Semanchuk <philip@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Aug 28, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Pj Riggs wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass
            > the marriage report. I have sent letter off to the church to see if they
            > have more information and have her death cerifitcate. That is where I have
            > the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her
            > birth the same. I am good from 1898-1949. That why I am searching from the
            > the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I
            > did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other
            > girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was
            > also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything
            > now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who
            > knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles.
            > Makes one head spin.
            >
            > Hi Pam,
            > I agree with Debbie's recommendation that you focus on finding either
            > US-based records or port-of-entry records for Victoria and/or Frank.
            > Searching all of "Poland" (which was a nebulous concept in that day and
            > age) is really shooting in the dark. I know you're frustrated, but I think
            > searching in Europe without more details is going to be even more
            > frustrating than continuing to search over here.
            >

            > > I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of
            > > them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available
            > > online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on
            > > dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the
            > > avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in
            > > through Canada?
            >
            > You sound a little unsure whether or not you've conducted a thorough,
            > imaginative search through the records of the most likely ports of entry
            > (Philly and Ellis Island). Have you searched on "Larna" instead of "Sarna",
            > for example? I found a Semanczyk mis-transcribed as Lemanczyk as a result
            > of overly flowerly handwriting. Also, you *do* have an approximate arrival
            > year, which is not too bad.
            >
            > I think it's unlikely that they came through Canada but if there's a
            > Canadian equivalent of ellisisland.org (or anything close) it would
            > certainly be worth having a look.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Philip
            >

            > > _______________________________

            cvp

            "Finally, my dear Lou, it's the same old profound and heartfelt
            plea: Become the one you are! In this regard it is necessary,
            first of all, that we emancipate ourselves from our chains; but
            then, in the end, we must also emancipate ourselves from this
            emancipation! Every one of us, each in his or her own way,
            has to labor over this malady of chains, even after we have
            shattered them.
            ----Friedrich Nietzsche to Lou von Salomé , August 1882

            ~Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of
            our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable
            views of (wo)men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little
            corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~ Mark Twain