Re: Travel to Ukraine

  • mary osborne
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 27 7:28 AM
      Hi, Gloria,

      I, too, am interested in visiting relatives in Ukraine.  Mine live in Mlyniska, which is maybe 30-40 miles from Kalush.  The cousin that I am in contact with has been urging me to visit, too.  I would have to travel alone, and I mean really alone, not with any family members from the US. That is the way I traveled on a Lemko Heritage tour to Poland last summer.  Any possibility of our joining forces?  I had to abandon tentative plans to try Ukraine this year because my husband developed a serious health problem and several close family members passed away.  But maybe next year...

      My cousin used to live in Kalush until about 2 years ago.  Ask your relatives if they ever read the now defunct newspaper Halychyna Health.  My cousin was its publisher.  His brother still lives in Kalush, but Petro now lives in Kiev. Unfortunately he does not speak English and I do not speak Ukrainian so we have been communicating for five years via Google Translate.  He assures me he will squire me around and make certain I need not have safety concerns.  I feel comfortable with that, but language remains my big hurdle, so I would probably have to try to find an interpreter.

      When Petro goes home to Mlyniska to visit his mother, he takes the train.  When--or maybe I should say it-- things work out for me, I expect to go to Kiev, deliver myself at the airport to Petro, and go wherever and however he decides until being returned to the airport. The only practical way to get from Kiev to  Mlyniska  is via Kalush, so maybe joining forces could work for us.

      Mary

      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 17, 2014
        Doctors and hospitals in countries outside of the U.S. will not accept
        insurance cards for anything other than (maybe) proof that you have
        insurance. Doctors and hospitals will not bill your insurance carrier
        for services performed. They will expect cash.

        Debbie