Sarna

  • Pj Riggs
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
      I am still at a lost:  I came across my great mother cerificate of death... I am searching where she came from.  I beleive Victoria (Sarna) Zaborowski came from the lower area of Poland. She had a brother who came with her and then return to Europe somewhere (was told and letters are gone or lost) and perhaps a sister but I have no names or records of them.
      These are the facts stated on death certificate:
      Name: Victoria (Wiktorja) Zaborowski
      Date of birth: May 10, 1878;
      age 71;
      Died May 22, 1949; Cleveland, Ohio
      married: Frank Zaborowski in Cleveland, OH (1898 ~ checking on the information on that through church records as to establish correct information)
      Occupation: housewife
      Born: Poland
      Father name: Joseph Sarna
      Mother name: Anna Dominik

      Now looking for the parents Joseph and Anna of Poland. I know Sarna a big name both Jewish and Catholic in the 1800's.  My Great Grandmother was Catholic here in America.  At least the children all grew up Catholic.

      Thanks for any more information you can provide me with.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
        On Aug 26, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Pj Riggs wrote:

        > I am still at a lost: I came across my great mother cerificate of death... I am searching where she came from. I beleive Victoria (Sarna) Zaborowski came from the lower area of Poland. She had a brother who came with her and then return to Europe somewhere (was told and letters are gone or lost) and perhaps a sister but I have no names or records of them.
        > These are the facts stated on death certificate:
        > Name: Victoria (Wiktorja) Zaborowski
        > Date of birth: May 10, 1878;
        > age 71;
        > Died May 22, 1949; Cleveland, Ohio
        > married: Frank Zaborowski in Cleveland, OH (1898 ~ checking on the information on that through church records as to establish correct information)
        > Occupation: housewife
        > Born: Poland
        > Father name: Joseph Sarna
        > Mother name: Anna Dominik
        >
        > Now looking for the parents Joseph and Anna of Poland. I know Sarna a big name both Jewish and Catholic in the 1800's. My Great Grandmother was Catholic here in America. At least the children all grew up Catholic.
        >
        > Thanks for any more information you can provide me with.

        Hi Pam,
        Refresh my memory -- have you search Ellis Island and Philly port records to see if you can find them there?

      • Pj Riggs
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
          I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in through Canada?  I have search that too but I have not found any matches...some close but not sure. I am trying to search from living europe to see if I can find them getting on the boat...
          I found a Victoria Sarna age 27
          Ship Gellert ~ Hamburg Passnger
          Departed may 22 1887  and Arrived June 3 1887
          with a child son Wisidor age 3
          reside Sendziszow, Osterreich (Austria)
          I have not been able to see the records here on the arrivial - it seems that ship never had a record of arrival on the US side.
          I am not sure if this is her she is 10 years older.  I also can not find her anywhere else or the son once arrived.

          thanks
          Pam

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
            Pam,

            You need to start with what you know and work backwards. Do not skip a
            step and try to locate information in Europe. You will get very
            frustrated.

            Once you locate Wiktorja Sarna and Frank Zaborowski's church marriage
            record, see if you can locate the baptismal records of their children.
            Do no accept marriage or baptismal certificates. You want a photocopy
            of the original records.

            Did Victoria live in New York in 1940?
            Did she have an older son who lived with her at that time?

            Debbie

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
              Pam,

              I found Frank and Victoria Zaborowski on the 1930 US federal census
              for Ohio. They lived at 3421 East 76th St. in Cleveland, Ohio.

              Frank was 56 (DOB 1874) and Victoria was 51 (DOB 1879). They were
              married in 1898.
              Their children, all of whom were born in Ohio:
              Michael age 27 (DOB 1903)
              Helen age 22 (DOB 1908)
              Stella age 21 (DOB 1909)
              Olga age 17 (DOB 1913)

              Frank immigrated in 1885 and both he and Victoria were naturalized.

              Since Frank was only 11 when he immigrated, he probably came over with
              his parents. Victoria does not list her year of arrival.

              I found them in the 1920 census living in Colebrook, Ashtabula County,
              Ohio.
              All of their children are listed.
              Frank states he arrived in 1896.
              Victoria states she arrived in 1898.
              This census states that they were naturalized in 1902.
              They lived on a farm which means there is a 1920 Farm Schedule you can
              locate which might have some interesting information. Farm Schedules
              can be found in LDS microfilms or through NARA.

              I found them in the 1910 census living in Cleveland, Ohio.

              There is a son, Joe age 4 (DOB 1906) who probably died prior to 1920.
              There is also a daughter, Mary age 9 (DOB 1901) who was either married
              by the time of the 1920 census or she died.
              Olga is not listed since she was born in 1913.

              Frank states he arrived in 1894 and was a citizen by this time.
              Victoria states she arrived in 1896.

              Frank owned a dairy when this census was taken.
              I found them in the 1900 census living in Cleveland, Ohio.

              Frank states he was born in 1872 in RUSSIAN controlled Poland and that
              he immigrated in 1894 and he is still an alien. This means he became a
              citizen between 1900 and 1910.

              Victoria states she was born in 1877 in RUSSIAN controlled Poland.
              This means she was not from southern Poland (Bukowsko).
              Victoria states she immigrated in 1895.

              Only one daughter, Anna age 1 (DOB 1899) is listed. She didn't show-up
              on the 1910 census so she must have died before that census.

              Victoria also states that she had two children as of 1900, with one
              (Anna) living. This means Victoria's first child died prior to June
              1900, the date the census was taken.
              I couldn't find a Passenger Arrival Record for either Frank or Victoria.

              I would suggest that you locate Frank Zaborowski's Declaration of
              Intent and Petition for Naturalization. These documents might be in
              the courts or the archives of Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
              It is also possible that LDS or NARA has filmed these records but I
              think you should check with the county first.

              Hopefully Wiktorja Sarna Zaborowski's place of birth will be listed.

              You might also try to locate an obituary to see if any other family
              members were listed.

              BTW How do you know that Wiktorja's maiden name was Sarna?

              Debbie

              Philip,

            • Pj Riggs
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2013
                Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass the marriage report.  I have sent letter off to the church to see if they have more information and have her death cerifitcate.  That is where I have the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her birth the same.   I am good from 1898-1949.  That why I am searching from the the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles.  Makes one head spin.

                Pam

                ________________________________
[...]

                Philip,

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2013
                  On Aug 28, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Pj Riggs wrote:

                  > Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass the marriage report. I have sent letter off to the church to see if they have more information and have her death cerifitcate. That is where I have the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her birth the same. I am good from 1898-1949. That why I am searching from the the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles. Makes one head spin.

                  Hi Pam,
                  I agree with Debbie's recommendation that you focus on finding either US-based records or port-of-entry records for Victoria and/or Frank. Searching all of "Poland" (which was a nebulous concept in that day and age) is really shooting in the dark. I know you're frustrated, but I think searching in Europe without more details is going to be even more frustrating than continuing to search over here.

                  > I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of
                  > them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available
                  > online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on
                  > dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the
                  > avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in
                  > through Canada?

                  You sound a little unsure whether or not you've conducted a thorough, imaginative search through the records of the most likely ports of entry (Philly and Ellis Island). Have you searched on "Larna" instead of "Sarna", for example? I found a Semanczyk mis-transcribed as Lemanczyk as a result of overly flowerly handwriting. Also, you *do* have an approximate arrival year, which is not too bad.

                  I think it's unlikely that they came through Canada but if there's a Canadian equivalent of ellisisland.org (or anything close) it would certainly be worth having a look.

                  Good luck
                  Philip

                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 29, 2013
                    fOLKS, ancestry has free access to immigration and travel records until
                    sept 2nd... some of you might find this useful... happy hunting...
                    carol

                    On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Philip Semanchuk <philip@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > On Aug 28, 2013, at 4:08 PM, Pj Riggs wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks Debbie I have all that information....I can't find anything pass
                    > the marriage report. I have sent letter off to the church to see if they
                    > have more information and have her death cerifitcate. That is where I have
                    > the parents name...but they are listed as Poland no town or area and her
                    > birth the same. I am good from 1898-1949. That why I am searching from the
                    > the other side...because I cannot find any more records on her here....I
                    > did find a Julianne Sarna...age 18 who came over with seems to be two other
                    > girlfriends...I am wondering if this might be her...the one girl name was
                    > also find in the Cleveland area... I am just trying anything
                    > now....Julianne might been her first name and victoria a second name...who
                    > knows.... I am hoping to find the connection...I am searching all angles.
                    > Makes one head spin.
                    >
                    > Hi Pam,
                    > I agree with Debbie's recommendation that you focus on finding either
                    > US-based records or port-of-entry records for Victoria and/or Frank.
                    > Searching all of "Poland" (which was a nebulous concept in that day and
                    > age) is really shooting in the dark. I know you're frustrated, but I think
                    > searching in Europe without more details is going to be even more
                    > frustrating than continuing to search over here.
                    >

                    > > I believe I have looked it up and have not found any information of
                    > > them coming in....I am not sure that all the records are available
                    > > online...I have no date of arrival and it seem to have conflicting on
                    > > dates on the cences 1900-1940...I am not sure if I search all the
                    > > avenues of Ellis Island or Philly...I am wondering if they came in
                    > > through Canada?
                    >
                    > You sound a little unsure whether or not you've conducted a thorough,
                    > imaginative search through the records of the most likely ports of entry
                    > (Philly and Ellis Island). Have you searched on "Larna" instead of "Sarna",
                    > for example? I found a Semanczyk mis-transcribed as Lemanczyk as a result
                    > of overly flowerly handwriting. Also, you *do* have an approximate arrival
                    > year, which is not too bad.
                    >
                    > I think it's unlikely that they came through Canada but if there's a
                    > Canadian equivalent of ellisisland.org (or anything close) it would
                    > certainly be worth having a look.
                    >
                    > Good luck
                    > Philip
                    >

                    > > _______________________________

                    cvp

                    "Finally, my dear Lou, it's the same old profound and heartfelt
                    plea: Become the one you are! In this regard it is necessary,
                    first of all, that we emancipate ourselves from our chains; but
                    then, in the end, we must also emancipate ourselves from this
                    emancipation! Every one of us, each in his or her own way,
                    has to labor over this malady of chains, even after we have
                    shattered them.
                    ----Friedrich Nietzsche to Lou von Salomé , August 1882

                    ~Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of
                    our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable
                    views of (wo)men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little
                    corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~ Mark Twain