Re: [bukowsko_triangle] 23andMe

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      On Jun 15, 2013, at 10:47 AM, caerlam wrote:

      > Hi, the DNA topic months ago inspired me to try 23andMe. I think a few here have tried it. Did you register at their site?

      Hi Carol
      It depends what you mean by "register". I think you have to register to get your results, so you can't use the service at all without registering. I have not uploaded any genealogical information nor have I gone through their questionnaires, all due to lack of time.

      They have since suggested two people that might be 3rd-5th cousins although the surnames don't suggest a connection to me. (That's not a strong indicator one way or another, though.) I see that these two people have contacted me; I guess I should think about contacting them back.

      What have you done with the site?

    • larrybell13071
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2013
        23andMe is transitioning to a new chip, the V4, which means future results may not be transferable into the FTDNA platform.

        http://blog.23andme.com/news/23andmes-new-custom-chip/

        http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2013/12/23andme-releases-sample-of-their-new-v4.html

        Larry
      • DAVID
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2013
          I'd be fairly confident that GEDMatch will work very hard to configure import ability for the new chip data. That's one of the reasons why I suggested that BT members upload their data there. It eliminates the need to rely on any one speciric commercial vendor for test comparison/analysls.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 16, 2013
            Dave,

            Previously, the recommendation from genetic genealogists was to use 23andMe first, then transfer the data to FTDNA. For $149, you get exposure in 2 different platforms.

            Will GEDmatch do that for me?

            Larry