Re: [bukowsko_triangle] web sharing

    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2013
      On May 26, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > I am not sure if you are referring to general record sharing or
      > personal family research sharing.
      >
      > Poland Gen Web hosts lots of transcribed records.
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandgen.html
      >
      > This is where I put all of my cemetery, Polish memorial transcriptions
      > and lists of parish priests:
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html
      >
      > This site also maintains Rafal Prinke's Surname List which is compiled
      > by Guido Baldrini (yes, a Pole) from email posts found on Poland Roots
      > and Polish Genius.
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/rafal/surname.html
      >
      > I know several members of Bukowsko Triangle also have web sites with
      > their own family information and Debbie Raff maintains a web site for
      > the Jewish community of Bukowsko:
      > http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/bukowsko/
      >
      > Gloria's site: http://www.carpathianhighlands.com/
      > Szymon Nowaczek: http://www.jannowaczek.com/
      >
      > I also had Liz's sites bookmarked but apparently they are gone from
      > the internet.

      This is a great point for genealogists to keep in mind. Keeping a Web site up for years is hard. It's easier for me because it dovetails with my profession as a software developer (and sometime Web site developer), and even I can't keep my own site updated. But if I get hit by a bus, who will look after my site? It's a good idea to donate one's research to an organization because organizations can live longer than people and have more resources on which to draw.

      I also encourage people to explicitly license their work. That can mean something as simple as declaring it public domain (in which case you renounce all rights to the work) or something that limits what others can do with it (which is more traditional copyright). I like Creative Commons licenses, although they have their critics. They're pretty straightforward and can even help you choose the most appropriate license:
      http://creativecommons.org/choose/

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons

      BTW Debbie, archive.org (the Internet's memory) has some of Liz's pages archived:
      http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://homepage.mac.com/lizurd/*

      Bye
      Philip