Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Cemetery Transcriptions

    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2013
      On May 11, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

      > Barbara,
      >
      > I understand what you mean. Funds aren't involved in Poland however,
      > taking care of the grave is the issue. Individuals are responsible for
      > keeping-up the graves; weeding, putting out plastic flowers, candles
      > and so on. If there isn't any family left to take care of the grave
      > then the grave would be used by another family.

      To add to that, a number of populations were moved or destroyed in WWII leaving no one behind to care for the graves of their ancestors. This is certainly the case in Wolica in the BT where there are not many Lemko graves. Similarly, in many of the Galizien Deutsche villages (now in Ukraine) the Germanic inhabitants were chased out in 1939 and the gravestones are often fallen over in high weeds if they can be found at all. And in the Kazimerz district of Krakow one can even find a sign next to a Jewish cemetery that requests that you not walk on the sidewalk because it's paved with gravestones taken from the cemetery during WWII.

      To more directly address your point, Barbara -- one of the things that surprises me is how ill-maintained many cemeteries are. The ones I'm used have paid caretakers, etc., but a neglected gravestone/cemetery is destined to fall victim to time and the elements.

      > Barbara Cozine wrote:
      >> Am I correct in stating that our ancestor's graves may not be found in cemetery if the family did not keep up with perpetual care funds? I am probably not stating this correctly, hope you get my meaning and can clarify this for me.
      >>
      >> Barbara
      >>

      >> ________________________________

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2013

        How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction.

        Justin

        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2013
          Justin,

          No promises but I'll put Morochów on the list. It looks like a pretty
          big cemetery.

          Debbie

          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2013
            Thanks! If you do make it over there, I'd be happy to help with any transcription as well as Cyrillic translations.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2013
              Justin,

              I will hold you to that!

              Debbie