Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Cemetery Transcriptions

Expand Messages
  • Debbie Greenlee
    Barbara, I understand what you mean. Funds aren t involved in Poland however, taking care of the grave is the issue. Individuals are responsible for keeping-up
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11 1:20 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Barbara,

      I understand what you mean. Funds aren't involved in Poland however,
      taking care of the grave is the issue. Individuals are responsible for
      keeping-up the graves; weeding, putting out plastic flowers, candles
      and so on. If there isn't any family left to take care of the grave
      then the grave would be used by another family.

      Debbie

      Barbara Cozine wrote:
      > Am I correct in stating that our ancestor's graves may not be found in cemetery if the family did not keep up with perpetual care funds? I am probably not stating this correctly, hope you get my meaning and can clarify this for me.
      >
      > Barbara
      >
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>
      > To: Bukowsko Triangle <bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:49 PM
      > Subject: [bukowsko_triangle] Cemetery Transcriptions
      >
      >
      >
      > I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
      > if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
      > the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
      > transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
      > Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
      >
      > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
      >
      > Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
      > the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
      >
      > Debbie
    • Philip Semanchuk
      ... To add to that, a number of populations were moved or destroyed in WWII leaving no one behind to care for the graves of their ancestors. This is certainly
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11 8:07 PM
      • 0 Attachment
        On May 11, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

        > Barbara,
        >
        > I understand what you mean. Funds aren't involved in Poland however,
        > taking care of the grave is the issue. Individuals are responsible for
        > keeping-up the graves; weeding, putting out plastic flowers, candles
        > and so on. If there isn't any family left to take care of the grave
        > then the grave would be used by another family.

        To add to that, a number of populations were moved or destroyed in WWII leaving no one behind to care for the graves of their ancestors. This is certainly the case in Wolica in the BT where there are not many Lemko graves. Similarly, in many of the Galizien Deutsche villages (now in Ukraine) the Germanic inhabitants were chased out in 1939 and the gravestones are often fallen over in high weeds if they can be found at all. And in the Kazimerz district of Krakow one can even find a sign next to a Jewish cemetery that requests that you not walk on the sidewalk because it's paved with gravestones taken from the cemetery during WWII.

        To more directly address your point, Barbara -- one of the things that surprises me is how ill-maintained many cemeteries are. The ones I'm used have paid caretakers, etc., but a neglected gravestone/cemetery is destined to fall victim to time and the elements.

        bye
        Philip




        >
        >
        > Barbara Cozine wrote:
        >> Am I correct in stating that our ancestor's graves may not be found in cemetery if the family did not keep up with perpetual care funds? I am probably not stating this correctly, hope you get my meaning and can clarify this for me.
        >>
        >> Barbara
        >>
        >>
        >> ________________________________
        >> From: Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...>
        >> To: Bukowsko Triangle <bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com>
        >> Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:49 PM
        >> Subject: [bukowsko_triangle] Cemetery Transcriptions
        >>
        >>
        >>
        >> I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
        >> if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
        >> the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
        >> transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
        >> Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
        >>
        >> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
        >>
        >> Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
        >> the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
        >>
        >> Debbie
      • Justin
        Debbie, How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction. Justin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12 4:34 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          Debbie,

          How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction.

          Justin

          --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
          >
          > I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
          > if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
          > the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
          > transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
          > Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
          >
          > http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
          >
          > Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
          > the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
          >
          >
          > Debbie
          >
        • Debbie Greenlee
          Justin, No promises but I ll put Morochów on the list. It looks like a pretty big cemetery. Debbie
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13 6:04 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            Justin,

            No promises but I'll put Morochów on the list. It looks like a pretty
            big cemetery.

            Debbie

            Justin wrote:
            > Debbie,
            >
            > How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction.
            >
            > Justin
            >
            > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
            >> I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
            >> if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
            >> the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
            >> transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
            >> Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
            >>
            >> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
            >>
            >> Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
            >> the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
            >>
            >>
            >> Debbie
            >>
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
          • Justin
            Thanks! If you do make it over there, I d be happy to help with any transcription as well as Cyrillic translations.
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14 3:58 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks! If you do make it over there, I'd be happy to help with any transcription as well as Cyrillic translations.

              --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
              >
              > Justin,
              >
              > No promises but I'll put Morochów on the list. It looks like a pretty
              > big cemetery.
              >
              > Debbie
              >
              > Justin wrote:
              > > Debbie,
              > >
              > > How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction.
              > >
              > > Justin
              > >
              > > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@> wrote:
              > >> I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
              > >> if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
              > >> the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
              > >> transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
              > >> Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
              > >>
              > >> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
              > >>
              > >> Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
              > >> the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
              > >>
              > >>
              > >> Debbie
              > >>
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
            • Debbie Greenlee
              Justin, I will hold you to that! Debbie
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14 6:57 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                Justin,

                I will hold you to that!

                Debbie

                Justin wrote:
                > Thanks! If you do make it over there, I'd be happy to help with any transcription as well as Cyrillic translations.
                >
                > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:
                >> Justin,
                >>
                >> No promises but I'll put Morochów on the list. It looks like a pretty
                >> big cemetery.
                >>
                >> Debbie
                >>
                >> Justin wrote:
                >>> Debbie,
                >>>
                >>> How exciting! I will, of course, nominate Morochow if time allows and your travels take you in that direction.
                >>>
                >>> Justin
                >>>
                >>> --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@> wrote:
                >>>> I'm starting to plan for my 2014 trip to Poland. I would like to know
                >>>> if anyone has any requests as to having their ancestral cemeteries (in
                >>>> the area) "read". I would photograph each headstone and then
                >>>> transcribe them when I returned home, placing those transcriptions on
                >>>> Poland Gen Web (because that's where I started with these):
                >>>>
                >>>> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/polandarchives.html#tomb
                >>>>
                >>>> Pielnia (in total) and Wisłok Wielki have been done. I am waiting for
                >>>> the Poland Gen Web administrator to post those transcriptions.
                >>>>
                >>>>
                >>>> Debbie
                >>>>
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.