Replies to Wancio Family Research

  • John Bridges
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 7:07 PM
      Thank you, Debbie and Roman, for your helpful information.

      The nickname and spelling for Andrew helps to verify Mary's relationship to Eva and their common parents.
      Did you notice that passenger #22 was also a young girl, and passenger #21, Mytro Sawin was a 49 yr. old male, all going to New Britain, CT.  He cited Marya Wancio nearest friend.

      Yes, I believe that Jan/John did die in New Britain, CT. (abt. 1920-1930?)  I would expect that death records would have to be reviewed in New Britain.  I wouldn't expect to find a death notice or obit. for a laborer/boarder in the newspaper.  That would have cost money.

      I have the marriage certificates for Eva and Mary.  Both were married by Justice of the Peace, with no indication of religious affiliation.  Interestingly, the names of mother and father on Eva's certificate are given as Andrew Laski and Anna Wanco.
      And the bride's name is listed as Eva Laski.  I have taken this to be a clerical error.  However Eva Laski also appears on my mother's birth certificate and again on the divorce decree.  Eva Wancio appears again the 1931 New Britain city directory.  FBC found by chance.  I was following Eva Gould in the city directories after the divorce until she disappeared in 1931.  On a hunch I checked Wancio and there she was, in the New Britain Town Home.

      I have assumed that Eva gained citizenship simple by marrying my grandfather.  A copy of the marriage certificate is also on record in Plainville, CT, were they lived after getting married.  The town clerk there wouldn't honor my request for a copy, because the certificate was not original.  That was when I learned that they had been married in Vermont.

      I've also started a photo album "Wancio" on the Triangle's home page.

      Thank you again for the replies.   Every little bit helps.

      John

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21 4:57 AM
        John,

        There may have been something in the newspaper. A lot of Connecticut folks also printed announcements of this sort in the newspaper "Svoboda," which you can find archived online starting in 1893. It was and is printed in New Jersey by the Ukrainian National Association. You can search back issues, although be aware that it is printed in Ukrainian (Cyrillic).

        What was their religion? You should check both the Ukrainian Catholic and the Ukrainian Orthodox churches in New Britain for baptism, marriage, death records, etc.

        Justin

        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, John Bridges <jdblls656@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, Debbie and Roman, for your helpful information.
        >
        > The nickname and spelling for Andrew helps to verify Mary's relationship to Eva and their common parents.
        > Did you notice that passenger #22 was also a young girl, and passenger #21, Mytro Sawin was a 49 yr. old male, all going to New Britain, CT.  He cited Marya Wancio nearest friend.
        >
        > Yes, I believe that Jan/John did die in New Britain, CT. (abt. 1920-1930?)  I would expect that death records would have to be reviewed in New Britain.  I wouldn't expect to find a death notice or obit. for a laborer/boarder in the newspaper.  That would have cost money.
        >
        > I have the marriage certificates for Eva and Mary.  Both were married by Justice of the Peace, with no indication of religious affiliation.  Interestingly, the names of mother and father on Eva's certificate are given as Andrew Laski and Anna Wanco.
        > And the bride's name is listed as Eva Laski.  I have taken this to be a clerical error.  However Eva Laski also appears on my mother's birth certificate and again on the divorce decree.  Eva Wancio appears again the 1931 New Britain city directory.  FBC found by chance.  I was following Eva Gould in the city directories after the divorce until she disappeared in 1931.  On a hunch I checked Wancio and there she was, in the New Britain Town Home.
        >
        > I have assumed that Eva gained citizenship simple by marrying my grandfather.  A copy of the marriage certificate is also on record in Plainville, CT, were they lived after getting married.  The town clerk there wouldn't honor my request for a copy, because the certificate was not original.  That was when I learned that they had been married in Vermont.
        >
        > I've also started a photo album "Wancio" on the Triangle's home page.
        >
        > Thank you again for the replies.   Every little bit helps.
        >
        > John

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21 6:43 AM
          Thank you Justin. I'll try to follow that lead. I don't know any foreign languages, though.
          John

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21 2:50 PM
            John,

            If you've not been to New Britain, you should visit. The downtown is
            very similar to being in a Polish city. Everyone speaks Polish! All
            the storefronts are in Polish. It is so cool. I think PGSCTNE's web
            site has photos and maybe a video of the town.

            I would agree about the clerical errors but it is odd that it happened
            so many times for Ewa Wancio Gould. Then again, Ewa probably didn't
            speak English or very well, so she may have misunderstood the question.

            Interesting that neither sister (Ewa and Mary) married in the church.
            You might check to see if Ewa and Mary and their intendeds filled out
            a marriage license application. It's possible these were archived.
            There would be more information on these than on a certificate.

            RE: Ewa's naturalization. Even if she gained citizenship by marrying
            Leon Gould, she may have had to fill out papers.

            For grins have you searched the Passenger Arrival Records for Ewa Laski?

            Debbie

            John Bridges wrote:
            > Thank you, Debbie and Roman, for your helpful information.
            >
            > The nickname and spelling for Andrew helps to verify Mary's relationship to Eva and their common parents.
            > Did you notice that passenger #22 was also a young girl, and passenger #21, Mytro Sawin was a 49 yr. old male, all going to New Britain, CT. He cited Marya Wancio nearest friend.
            >
            > Yes, I believe that Jan/John did die in New Britain, CT. (abt. 1920-1930?) I would expect that death records would have to be reviewed in New Britain. I wouldn't expect to find a death notice or obit. for a laborer/boarder in the newspaper. That would have cost money.
            >
            > I have the marriage certificates for Eva and Mary. Both were married by Justice of the Peace, with no indication of religious affiliation. Interestingly, the names of mother and father on Eva's certificate are given as Andrew Laski and Anna Wanco.
            > And the bride's name is listed as Eva Laski. I have taken this to be a clerical error. However Eva Laski also appears on my mother's birth certificate and again on the divorce decree. Eva Wancio appears again the 1931 New Britain city directory. FBC found by chance. I was following Eva Gould in the city directories after the divorce until she disappeared in 1931. On a hunch I checked Wancio and there she was, in the New Britain Town Home.
            >
            > I have assumed that Eva gained citizenship simple by marrying my grandfather. A copy of the marriage certificate is also on record in Plainville, CT, were they lived after getting married. The town clerk there wouldn't honor my request for a copy, because the certificate was not original. That was when I learned that they had been married in Vermont.
            >
            > I've also started a photo album "Wancio" on the Triangle's home page.
            >
            > Thank you again for the replies. Every little bit helps.
            >
            > John
          • John Bridges
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22 6:05 AM

              I have been to the PGSCTNE website and viewed the pictures of New Britain.  I think there was a You Tube video or a story on WCVB Ch. 7 Boston Chronicle.  A visit to the city is on my to do list. I have also Googled street addresses where my grandparents once lives.  Many are now parking lots or highway intersections.

              Laski v. Wancio,  I agree that the error likely occurred because of language misunderstandings.  I think that once the error had occurred Ewa and Leon decided to continue with the status quo.  However, I did mention this to a fellow researcher.  His remark was that many immigrants chose the name that gave them the best or higher status.  One reseacher of a Finnish relative found that the relative had adopted the name of the family she was living with.
              I was fortunate that I had sister Mary to do parallel research on.  This was helpful to verify Ewa's records.
              I have tried the Ewa Laski approach before, but it may be worth another try.

              i question Ewa's birthday, since her name is associated the the eve of the Christmas day.

              I have found http://www.lemko.org/ and will try working with that organization, also.

              I will also try to delicately question my mother about any memories she may have about her mother and Aunt Mary.

              John

              ________________________________

              John Bridges wrote:
              > Thank you, Debbie and Roman, for your helpful information.
              >
              > The nickname and spelling for Andrew helps to verify Mary's relationship to Eva and their common parents.
              > Did you notice that passenger #22 was also a young girl, and passenger #21, Mytro Sawin was a 49 yr. old male, all going to New Britain, CT. He cited Marya Wancio nearest friend.
              >
              > Yes, I believe that Jan/John did die in New Britain, CT. (abt. 1920-1930?) I would expect that death records would have to be reviewed in New Britain. I wouldn't expect to find a death notice or obit. for a laborer/boarder in the newspaper. That would have cost money.
              >
              > I have the marriage certificates for Eva and Mary. Both were married by Justice of the Peace, with no indication of religious affiliation. Interestingly, the names of mother and father on Eva's certificate are given as Andrew Laski and Anna Wanco.
              > And the bride's name is listed as Eva Laski. I have taken this to be a clerical error. However Eva Laski also appears on my mother's birth certificate and again on the divorce decree. Eva Wancio appears again the 1931 New Britain city directory. FBC found by chance. I was following Eva Gould in the city directories after the divorce until she disappeared in 1931. On a hunch I checked Wancio and there she was, in the New Britain Town Home.
              >
              > I have assumed that Eva gained citizenship simple by marrying my grandfather. A copy of the marriage certificate is also on record in Plainville, CT, were they lived after getting married. The town clerk there wouldn't honor my request for a copy, because the certificate was not original. That was when I learned that they had been married in Vermont.
              >
              > I've also started a photo album "Wancio" on the Triangle's home page.
              >
              > Thank you again for the replies. Every little bit helps.
              >
              > John

            • Janet George
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22 6:36 AM
                John:

                I too doubted my great grandmother's stated birthday of December 25th until I actually saw the baptism records from Poland.  She indeed was born on Christmas Day.  Somebody has to be.  She couldn't read or write, but she knew her birthday.

                Janet