Re: Poland Archives - Parish Registers Digitization

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 19, 2013

      I have no idea of the feasibility of this. I don't know the mechanism for the project or how they are digitizing the records.

      Shortly (I presume) another list will be released of the records to be digitized as part of the June installment. My belief (which could be incorrect) is that this will happen every so often until the project is completed.

      The goal, I've read, is to have 5 million images online by then. That is just a slice, albeit a significant one, of what is held in the vast Polish archival system.

      I heard that last year the director or deputy director of the archives in Warsaw spoke at the Polish Genealogical Society of America gathering in Utah, was given a tour of the scanning operations in the granite mountain in Salt Lake City, and went back with ideas to do something similar in Poland.

      Justin

      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:

      > Justin,
      >
      > An idea just came to me. I know the Przemyśl Civil Archives has rooms
      > to rent to researchers, historians and so on. I wonder if Bobusia, the
      > director would be willing to allow a non-archive employee to stay in a
      > room rent free for a couple of weeks in exchange for that person
      > working on the digitization project? It certainly wouldn't mean that
      > the volunteer would be able to work on his own village's records.
      >
      > Of course, this arrangement would mean the volunteer would have to be
      > willing to pay his/her own way to Poland and pay for the rest of their
      > expenses. (I bet the person would be invited to various employees'
      > homes for dinner.) But the volunteer could probably have the weekends
      > off and maybe even an extra day during the week to sightsee or do
      > their own research. Hmmm, might even be allowed some exceptions in
      > research. It would also be a great way to see Polish life.
      >
      > Just a thought.
      >
      > Debbie
      >
      > Justin wrote:
      > > The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
      > >
      > > Go to:
      > > www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
      > >
      > > You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
      > >
      > > The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
      > >
      > > Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
      > >
      > > Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.
      > >
      > > Justin

    • Walt/Gloria Elston
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 19, 2013
        Thanks for the example. Looks like the copies have good resolution. I
        look forward to some of my villages being listed.

        Gloria

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 19, 2013
          On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Justin wrote:

          > The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
          >
          > Go to:
          > www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
          >
          > You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
          >
          > The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
          >
          > Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
          >
          > Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.

          Hi Justin,
          Fantastic is an understatement. Thanks for keeping us apprised.

          Can you give me an example of a book that has been digitized? I can't find any.

          Thanks
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 19, 2013
            On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

            > On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Justin wrote:
            >
            >> The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
            >>
            >> Go to:
            >> www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
            >>
            >> You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
            >>
            >> The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
            >>
            >> Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
            >>
            >> Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.
            >
            > Hi Justin,
            > Fantastic is an understatement. Thanks for keeping us apprised.
            >
            > Can you give me an example of a book that has been digitized? I can't find any.

            D'oh! Nevermind, I found the Borek Wielki example you already gave. Sorry for being a scatterbrain.