RE: [bukowsko_triangle] Poland Archives - Parish Registers Digitization

  • Shosh E.
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 18 9:14 AM
      Hi Debbie

      Yes indeed-the first file that came up on my search on the webiste was for Jewish records. I also looked up Lesko and also the same thing happened. Now I am really curious what they have but they do have several files for both towns.

      To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
      From: daveg@...
      Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:15:47 -0500
      Subject: Re: FW: [bukowsko_triangle] Poland Archives - Parish Registers Digitization

      Shosh,

      The civil archives has very few Bukowsko records of benefit to family
      researchers. I think mostly court records, though if memory serves me
      well (it doesn't always), there are Jewish records from Bukowsko.

      Debbie

      Justin wrote:
      > Shosh,
      >
      > Not yet. Only a relatively small percentage have been digitized. Eventually it will most likely be, if they have it. The next round is scheduled for June. It will probably take several years, at least, until they've digitized their holdings.
      >
      > Justin
      >
      > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Shosh E. <sar651e24@...> wrote:
      >> Thank you Justin
      >>
      >> I just entered Lesko for example and it gave me the collection and the storying place but nowhere it gives me more access than that; are you saying that the record should be digitized? same thing when I click on Bukowsko.
      >>
      >> Thank you
      >> Shosh
      >>
      >> To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
      >> From: JKHouser84@...
      >> Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:52:45 +0000
      >> Subject: [bukowsko_triangle] Poland Archives - Parish Registers Digitization

      The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives
      is online.

      >> Go to:
      >> www.szukajwarchiwach.pl

      >> You can search by village name. Not all villages have been
      digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to
      see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of
      Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and
      Protestant registers from various years.

      >> The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
      >
      >> Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the
      Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or
      still kept at the parish level.

      >> Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.

      >> Justin

    • Justin
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 19 4:00 AM
        Gloria,

        If you type in Borek Wielki in the search box, and scroll down to the results with the yellowish tab on the left, you can click through to look at the documents. Each year is a separate file, presumably because these were bishop's/civil copies and each year was therefore submitted separately.

        Borek Wielki is the village where my uncle's ancestors came from.

        Justin

        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Walt/Gloria Elston" <elstonwg@...> wrote:

        > Justin, Can you give us the name of a village whose records have been
        > digitized so we can see what to expect?
        >
        > Gloria
        >

        > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Justin <JKHouser84@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Shosh,
        > >
        > > Not yet. Only a relatively small percentage have been digitized.
        > > Eventually it will most likely be, if they have it. The next round is
        > > scheduled for June. It will probably take several years, at least, until
        > > they've digitized their holdings.
        > >
        > > Justin
        > >
        > > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Shosh E. <sar651e24@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thank you Justin
        > > >
        > > > I just entered Lesko for example and it gave me the collection and the
        > > storying place but nowhere it gives me more access than that; are you
        > > saying that the record should be digitized? same thing when I click on
        > > Bukowsko.
        > > >
        > > > Thank you
        > > > Shosh
        > > >
        > > > To: bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com
        > > > From: JKHouser84@
        > > > Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:52:45 +0000
        > > > Subject: [bukowsko_triangle] Poland Archives - Parish Registers
        > > Digitization

        > > > The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives
        > > is online.
        > > >

        > > > Go to:
        > > >
        > > > www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
        > > >

        > > > You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by
        > > far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images.
        > > There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of
        > > Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from
        > > various years.
        > > >

        > > > The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
        > > >

        > > > Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish
        > > State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept
        > > at the parish level.
        > > >

        > > > Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.
        > > >

        > > > Justin

      • Justin
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 19 4:03 AM

          I have no idea of the feasibility of this. I don't know the mechanism for the project or how they are digitizing the records.

          Shortly (I presume) another list will be released of the records to be digitized as part of the June installment. My belief (which could be incorrect) is that this will happen every so often until the project is completed.

          The goal, I've read, is to have 5 million images online by then. That is just a slice, albeit a significant one, of what is held in the vast Polish archival system.

          I heard that last year the director or deputy director of the archives in Warsaw spoke at the Polish Genealogical Society of America gathering in Utah, was given a tour of the scanning operations in the granite mountain in Salt Lake City, and went back with ideas to do something similar in Poland.

          Justin

          --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Greenlee <daveg@...> wrote:

          > Justin,
          >
          > An idea just came to me. I know the Przemyśl Civil Archives has rooms
          > to rent to researchers, historians and so on. I wonder if Bobusia, the
          > director would be willing to allow a non-archive employee to stay in a
          > room rent free for a couple of weeks in exchange for that person
          > working on the digitization project? It certainly wouldn't mean that
          > the volunteer would be able to work on his own village's records.
          >
          > Of course, this arrangement would mean the volunteer would have to be
          > willing to pay his/her own way to Poland and pay for the rest of their
          > expenses. (I bet the person would be invited to various employees'
          > homes for dinner.) But the volunteer could probably have the weekends
          > off and maybe even an extra day during the week to sightsee or do
          > their own research. Hmmm, might even be allowed some exceptions in
          > research. It would also be a great way to see Polish life.
          >
          > Just a thought.
          >
          > Debbie
          >
          > Justin wrote:
          > > The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
          > >
          > > Go to:
          > > www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
          > >
          > > You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
          > >
          > > The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
          > >
          > > Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
          > >
          > > Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.
          > >
          > > Justin

        • Walt/Gloria Elston
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 19 10:10 AM
            Thanks for the example. Looks like the copies have good resolution. I
            look forward to some of my villages being listed.

            Gloria

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 19 7:29 PM
              On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Justin wrote:

              > The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
              >
              > Go to:
              > www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
              >
              > You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
              >
              > The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
              >
              > Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
              >
              > Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.

              Hi Justin,
              Fantastic is an understatement. Thanks for keeping us apprised.

              Can you give me an example of a book that has been digitized? I can't find any.

              Thanks
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 19 7:32 PM
                On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:29 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

                > On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Justin wrote:
                >
                >> The first round (March) of the digitization by the Polish State Archives is online.
                >>
                >> Go to:
                >> www.szukajwarchiwach.pl
                >>
                >> You can search by village name. Not all villages have been digitized, by far, but of those which have, you can click through to see the images. There is a mixture from just about every region of Poland, and a mixture of Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant registers from various years.
                >>
                >> The next batch will be announced and/or digitized in June.
                >>
                >> Again, these cover only the parish record books which are in the Polish State Archives, not Roman Catholic Diocesan Archives, USCs, or still kept at the parish level.
                >>
                >> Nevertheless, there is, and will be, a lot of fantastic data here.
                >
                > Hi Justin,
                > Fantastic is an understatement. Thanks for keeping us apprised.
                >
                > Can you give me an example of a book that has been digitized? I can't find any.

                D'oh! Nevermind, I found the Borek Wielki example you already gave. Sorry for being a scatterbrain.