Pedigree collapse

  • larrybell13071
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2013
      This is a new revelation for me:

      "a single individual alive today would, over 30 generations going back to the High Middle Ages, have 2^{30} or roughly a billion ancestors, more than the total world population at the time."

      "the common historical tendency to marry those within walking distance, due to the relative immobility of the population before modern transport, meant that most marriage partners were at least distantly related."

      "some geneticists believe that everybody on Earth is at most 50th cousin to everybody else."

      Larry

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse

      http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/412/2-4-8-16-how-can-you-always-have-more-ancestors-as-you-go-back-in-time
    • sjmaher3060
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2013
        I don't know about the math, but I can tell you that the same surnames popped up a lot in my ancestral village.... Sandy

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
          Gives new meaning to 'love thy neighbor as thyself.'

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
            Larry,

            This is exactly why I have said for years that I am related to
            everyone in Bukowsko and my genealogy program proves it. ;)

            Debbie

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
              On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:18 PM, Sjmaher5697@... wrote:

              > I don't know about the math, but I can tell you that the same surnames popped up a lot in my ancestral village.... Sandy

              After some research, I learned that grandfather's parents were first cousins. Now I realize they were just doing their part to make the math work out! All the same, I'm pretty glad they decided to move out of that village.