German translations

  • crazyauntmad1
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 26, 2013
      I have baptismal and marriage records from Germany. Does anyone read and write German?

      Thank you, Madeline
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 27, 2013
        On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:24 AM, crazyauntmad1 wrote:

        > I have baptismal and marriage records from Germany. Does anyone read and write German?

        If you can decipher the text well enough to type it into Google translate, it will probably do a good enough job.

        If it's older German handwriting, that's tough. I have looked at some German records from the 1700s and can barely pick out surnames I recognize, much less anything else.

        Good luck
        Philip
      • crazyauntmad1
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 15

          Hello group, I am half Polish and half German.  I have quite a few of German documents that I would like to have translated into English.  Can someone recommend a translator, hopefully not too expensive.

          Thank you for your help, Madeline

        • Janet George
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 15
            You need to specify if they are in modern German or Old German.  There is a big difference and a lot less people that can do Old German.

            Hello group, I am half Polish and half German.  I have quite a few of German documents that I would like to have translated into English.  Can someone recommend a translator, hopefully not too expensive.

            Thank you for your help, Madeline

          • Madeline
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 15
              The documents I have are from the 1920s, so I would guess they are old German and I do understand that they are much harder to translate.

              Thank you.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 15
                I had a very good experience some years ago with Ann Sherwin: Asherwin.com.  The best thing about her was that she gives quotes before you "buy", so no surprises.  You will need good images of the documents that you want translated.  I had some "interesting surprises" when she translated my records.  She certainly clarified the crude translations that an amateur did for me.

                Hello group, I am half Polish and half German.  I have quite a few of German documents that I would like to have translated into English.  Can someone recommend a translator, hopefully not too expensive.

                Thank you for your help, Madeline

              • pat porte
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 15
                   there's a genealogy translation group on facebook, i just can't remember the name.....

                • pat porte
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 15
                    in my high school german class the esses were those funny tall 'double s' figures.  was that old german ? i think most other letters were normal. but pls don't ask me to translate,that was many decades ago !

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 16
                      Thank you for answering my question Pat.

                      Madeline

                       there's a genealogy translation group on facebook, i just can't remember the name.....

                    • Larry Bell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 17
                      • larrybell13071
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 17
                          The name of the Facebook group is Genealogy Translations. You can put up one page at a time, up to three pages a day, but it's not really designed for lengthy documents since we're all volunteers. You will recognize some BTers over there.

                          Larry
                        • purrrfek47
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 17
                            Thank you Larry.