Ukrainian Village Music - Historic Recordings 1928-1933

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi all,
      A friend loaned this CD to me. His wife won't let him listen to it in the house, but we forgive her foolish ways. It's 24 recordings of Ukrainians -- specifically (according to the liner notes) from western Ukraine. The recordings were actually done in New York and Camden. The quality is what you'd expect from the technology available of the time (i.e. a bit rough).

      It's on the Arhoolie record label. Here's an easy place to get a copy:
      http://www.amazon.com/Ukrainian-Village-Music-Historing-Recordings/dp/B0000023U1

      Here's a version of the liner notes, although it's a little different from the paper copy I have:
      http://lemko.org/lih/music/surma.html