FHL: What I did for my winter vacation

  • larrybell13071
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2013
      My wife and I just returned from Salt Lake City, 3 days skiing and 3 days researching. Big time fun!

      Although our research findings do not directly relate to BT research, perhaps someone will be emboldened to make the trip based on our experience. Here are the genealogical highlights:

      1. Found primary source material for two of our family lines--the first Old World sources we have discovered for these families. They have a machine that scans microfilm images onto a thumb drive, for free.

      a. Birth record for Godfrey Raish, born 1784 in Fellback, Wurtenburg (on microfilm)
      b. Several microfilm records for Stephanie Gaidosch, born 1881 in Radautz, Bukowina, Austria (now Romania): Confirmation class record, and the Familienbuch, a summary of vital records which included parents names and DOB, siblings names and DOB, house number, etc.

      2. Was able to copy book length genealogies for Barrows and Howland onto my thumb drive, again for free.

      3. Consulted with the professional research staff on next steps. It really helps to get another perspective. There is a Polish speaking woman who helped us write a letter in Polish to the archives.

      4. Passenger list record for Godfrey Raish, Antwerp to Philadelphia on the Margaret, August, 1805 (microfilm and book record).

      Larry
    • Frank A. Orasin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2013
        Sounds like a very productive trip. Always wanted to ski there, and hear it
        is great

        f.

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2013
          Larry,

          And some people think a trip to Disneyland is the best kind of
          vacation! HA!

          Congratulations on your finds.

          Debbie