Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Re: [polish_genius] Photos of Poland

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
      Marie,

      To get to Przybyszów you have to go to Karlików (from Bukowsko).
      If you passed the ski lift in Karlików then you were headed in the
      right direction. We could not drive any further as I mentioned in my
      Trip Report Poland-Ukraine September 2011. We had to walk about a mile
      up that rutted road. A 4-wheeler/jeep/truck/tractor could make the
      drive but not a car. Seems to me there were little food chalets being
      built on the left side of the road near the ski lift. I think we had
      to walk "passed" them up the rutted road. I don't think we came across
      the chalets before we parked but I might say something about this in
      my Trip Report.

      The Przybyszów cemetery that still has quite a few headstones is on
      the right side of the road surrounded by meadows.

      The location of the church and the other cemetery are further up the
      road, across the "river" on the left.

      I don't know which house you mean. I recall a small "summer" house
      between the ski lift and the cemetery. I have a photo of it though
      it's not on my web site since I wasn't sure in which village it
      belongs. I also don't remember what houses are where, going from
      Karlików to Przybyszów.

      I am not aware of anyone living in Przybyszów who was "interested" in
      it. The young man we found trying to refurbish the cemetery lives in
      Zagórz. His name is Piotr Bryła, a name which by the way, is found in
      Bukowsko records.

      On my web site the picture labeled "Looking back down the road which
      leads to Przybyszów" was taken near where I parked the car to start
      walking.
      The cement block road turned into rutted dirt (from tractors) which is
      why we walked.

      If you look at the first picture under "Karlikow" you can see the ski
      hill in the distance.

      So, to answer your question, I don't think you went far enough.

      Debbie

      Marie Hughes wrote:
      > Dear Debbie,
      > thank you so much for your posting and especially your photos. I have been "off the map" for awhile. Last fall we had a wedding in our family so my efforts went into that! Two years ago we went to Poland and Ukraine. Unfortunately our guide could not go far on the road which was Przybyszow. I see your photos and wonder where I was in regard to where you were. The main road into Przybyszow from Bukowsko turns to dirt and there was a man living in a house to the left. I was told by a young man I spoke to in Sanok that this man was interested in the history of Przybyszow and took up residency there at the site of the village. There was a field and a hidden stream on the left side and a open field on a hill to the right......then the road was so rutted our guide didn't want to go further and I wasn't sure which direction to pursue. Would you mind telling me generally where you find these cemeteries..... did I just need to go farther down the road??
      > I plan on going back a some point and am interested in a point of reference. I am happy to say I had better luck with my relatives from SW Ukraine. We will be going back for a visit to celebrate a new baby born their this spring!
      > Thank you again, Debbie, for all your efforts and the willingness to share your journeys!
      > Marie

      >> http://www.polishfamily.com

      >> http://www.polishfamily.com
    • Marie Hughes
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
        thank you for the directions. We did go thru Karlikow to Przybyszow remembering the guide talking about the ski lift to the left. I think because I wasn't sure and our guides van was relatively newer they didn't want to push it and I didn't know what I was doing. I want to take time and go back to Sanok and explore again. I went with my husband and Son after college graduation....we loved the Sanok area! I will make note of the pics and directions so I know what I'm doing next time.
        Always appreciated!
        Marie

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
          Marie,

          go to: http://mapa.szukacz.pl/ Click the X on the book ad. Type in
          Karlikow in the Miejscowść box on the right and click POKAZ.
          Once the map comes up, click on Zdjęcie SAT at the top of the map.

          You should now see the landscape of Karlików AND Przybyszów. You can
          click on the map and drag it around to see the location of the other
          nearby villages. You can see the "road" better using the satellite view.

          Debbie

        • Marie Hughes
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
            thanks...will do.
            Marie

            On Feb 1, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

> [...]
            > >> it's not on my web site since I wasn't sure in which village it
            > >> belongs. I also don't remember what houses are where, going from
            > >> Karlików to Przybyszów.
            > >>
            > >> I am not aware of anyone living in Przybyszów who was "interested" in
            > >> it. The young man we found trying to refurbish the cemetery lives in
            > >> Zagórz. His name is Piotr Bryła, a name which by the way, is found in
            > >> Bukowsko records.
            > >>
            > >> On my web site the picture labeled "Looking back down the road which
            > >> leads to Przybyszów" was taken near where I parked the car to start
            > >> walking.
            > >> The cement block road turned into rutted dirt (from tractors) which is
            > >> why we walked.
            > >>
            > >> If you look at the first picture under "Karlikow" you can see the ski
            > >> hill in the distance.
            > >>
            > >> So, to answer your question, I don't think you went far enough.

          • Roman
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
              Debbie and Marie,

              A good source that provides a map of the area with much better
              resolution than Google Earth is the Polish government geoportal site

              > http://maps.geoportal.gov.pl/webclient/

              intended as a cadastral reference. (You can remove the cadastral
              boundary markers by selecting the ORTO map option.)

              It clearly shows the ski lift and the continuing road toward (currently
              non-existent) Przybyszów. There is a small red-roofed house about
              half-way there. The first cemetery is clearly visible. There appears to
              be a small structure within the 'U' where the road makes essentially a
              U-turn to the left and then continues south where the cerkiew was
              located. The second cemetery would be a bit further down that path on
              the left side (according to the WIG maps).

              Roman

              On 2/1/2013 6:10 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

> [...]
              > there was a man living in a house to the left. I was told by a young man
              > I spoke to in Sanok that this man was interested in the history of
              > Przybyszow and took up residency there at the site of the village. There
              > was a field and a hidden stream on the left side and a open field on a
              > hill to the right......then the road was so rutted our guide didn't want
              > to go further and I wasn't sure which direction to pursue. Would you
              > mind telling me generally where you find these cemeteries..... did I
              > just need to go farther down the road??
              >> I plan on going back a some point and am interested in a point of
              > reference. I am happy to say I had better luck with my relatives from SW
              > Ukraine. We will be going back for a visit to celebrate a new baby born
              > their this spring!
              >> Thank you again, Debbie, for all your efforts and the willingness to

            • Marie Hughes
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2013
                thank you for the direction.....

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Roman,

                  I do see the little, red roofed "summer" home on the right side of the
                  road as you look at it.

                  I am having trouble spotting the first cemetery on the map though. I
                  do see bee hives (I remember them) lined up in 5 neat rows and they
                  were "next" to the cemetery on the left side of the road as you look
                  at the map.

                  The cemetery was very close to the road so I think it is immediately
                  north of the beehives. I don't think anyone would pick it out as a
                  cemetery on this map though.

                  Debbie

                • Roman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
                    OK - so it is a bee town, not a cemetery. I thought so at first thinking
                    there couldn't be that many large tombstone monuments. Guess the
                    cemeteries are both invisible. The WIG maps claim that the first
                    cemetery is essentially where the bees live.

                    Roman

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                      Roman,

                      I would think the first cemetery would be easier to spot if a new
                      satellite photo was filmed (since 2011) because many of the
                      headstones/monuments have been set upright.

                      Debbie

                    • Justin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                        Roman,

                        Thanks for the link to the map site. I didn't even know that this existed online. It might prove useful in future to cross-reference these land plots with the original cadastral maps to locate ancestral and historic properties with some precision.

                        Justin