OT... Floods and Fies in Australia... DELETE IF NOT INTERESTED

  • Rick Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2013
      Mother Nature is at it again.
      In the North FLOODS... and in the South Bush FIRES.
      The Floods started way up North in the Tropics with a Cyclone... Hurricane or Typhoon depending on where you live.
      Since then it has moved slowly Southward and weakening till it is now just a LOW.
      But it has caused Flooding in Towns all the way from Cairns down to where I am in Newcastle.
      EVERY River in that Region, covering some3-4000 Miles of Coastline...is in Flood.
      Some Towns that were all but destroyed in 2011 are now under threat again... and other that had just minor flooding have major flooding this time.
      At the moment there are some 3000 Homes without Power, and Evacuation Centres all up and down the Coast.The Power is out due to fallen wires... and there is one unconfirmed report that 1300 Poles are down... This is unconfirmed and if correct will take quite some time to repair,
      From Cairns down, the Phone Lines are also out, possibly due to Flooding of the exchanges.
      Emergency Numbers are now via Internet... Sound like Skype.
      If you need to contact someone in the affected areas may I suggest that you hold off calling.... I will be posting reports as and when I am able.
      These weather conditions have caused many injuries... including Mother and Son who were hit by a falling Branch... Both OK in Hospital
      To date... 3 Bodies have been directly attributed to the Flooding, but another 2 to stupidity... People going out in small boats into Large Seas.
      ALL Emergency Services from Sydney to the North are either on Full Standby or else in action already.
      HERE We are on standby, but expect to be busy in the next day or so.... All the Fast Water Rescue Boats have been sent North, with the Normal Flood Boats on Standby in the Various Depots.
      At Home I have recorded 4...Yes FOUR INCHES OVERNIGHT RAIN....  Normally it takes up to 2 or 3 MONTHS to get that.
      Meanwhile down South in Victoria and Tasmania, Fires are STILL Burning.
      So far Fires have claimed about 600 Homes and countless number of sheds, and other buildings....
      Some people had the fire to the fence line just FEET from the Houses.
      More later as and when I can.
      Bundaberg and Townsville is fast running out of sand for sandbags and the rrivers there are rising FAST.
      And another 3 people missing.
      Some 3000 sitting on rooftops awaiting Helicopter Rescue...
      EVERY AVAILABLE Helicopter including Army Blackhawks are  already in Serviceresuing and evacuating people.