Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Akcja Wisla Cards

  • Walt/Gloria Elston
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 23, 2013
      I wonder if these cards could be used in a future court of law for
      reparations payments?

      Gloria

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 23, 2013
        Gloria,

        I think the issue of reparations has already been settled.

        Debbie

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 24, 2013
          On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Walt/Gloria Elston wrote:

          > I wonder if these cards could be used in a future court of law for
          > reparations payments?

          Hi Gloria,
          I'm aware of only one case where a Lemko descendent got reparations for what his/her family lost. I would like to know of others. In practice, I think it's rare.

          I don't have a reference handy but I seem to recall that what was returned in the claim that I read about was some forested land that was owned by the Polish government.

          My guess is that only a few Lemkos have the will and means to attempt to claim reparations. Combine that with the fact that the Polish government would have a political mess on its hands if it attempted to make honest reparations, and I think very, very few reparations claims will get very far. Returning a bit of government forest is probably about the extent of what will realistically happen.

          That's just my $.02.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 24, 2013
            On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Justin wrote:

            > Good morning, all,
            >
            > I am pleased to report that a couple of weeks ago I received the Akcja Wisla cards that I requested from the Polish State Archives in Przemysl. They came quite quickly but I've been busy with other commitments lately so haven't had the time to report on them. Now is that opportunity.
            >
            > The documents I received are photocopies of the cards I requested. The numbers that appear in Philip's index are clearly written on the top of each card, so writing to the archives and requesting them by card number is clearly an effective approach.

            Hi Justin,
            That's excellent news! Thanks for sharing it. I'll update my page with confirmation that those record numbers are what they appear to be.

            I second Roman's suggestion that you share the original, if you don't mind doing so. If you prefer, you can email it to me and I'll make it put it online.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 24, 2013
> [...]

              > 1 [Hrynio Pawel, 1926, Son]
              > 2 [Hrynio, Michal~, 1929, Son]
              > 3 [Hrynio, Katarzyna, 1931, Daughter]
              > 4 [Hrynio, Wlodzmierz, 1934, Son]
              > Resettled with /delete where appropriate/ -
              > He takes with himself the following: horses [1], cows [1], pigs [0], goats [0], sheep [0], and the following dead livestock: [can't read these four words]
              > He leaves: Ground - [9] ha, including agricultural land [5] ha., dwelling house [silk material?], barn [0], another type of barn [0], shed [0], pigsty [0].
              > Signature of the resettled: [Hrynio Adam]
              > Signature of the preparer: [illegible signature]
              >
              > Obviously, if you find relatives on Philip's transcription of the index, order the cards. Unfortunately these records don't indicate where the people went. There must be another list somewhere with this information.

            • Jim Stamm
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                > On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Walt/Gloria Elston wrote:
                >
                > > I wonder if these cards could be used in a future court of law for
                > > reparations payments?

                They have been used in reparation hearings ... as evidence for the
                defending Polish government that the Lemkos have already received just
                compensation for the poor non-subsistence farms that they left
                behind. How do they know that they were non-subsistence? Because the
                Poles that moved in weren't able to farm the land properly. That, by
                the way, is how many of the returning Lemkos were able to regain their
                farms. "Give my farm back to me, and I'll build you a new house over
                there."

                The Lemkos were given buildings, land, farms, even city flats ... in
                the "Western Lands". Some of the farmland was nitrate enhanced ... by
                the same bombs that blew out the windows of the farmhouse. The Lemkos
                were told that the apartments, abandoned by the "rich" Germans, were
                vast improvements over the "barns" that they had to make do with.

                When Stefan Hladyk proved that his grandparents left behind a large
                forest tract, The state couldn't show proper compensation, and he
                prevailed in court. He still prosecutes some cases when he feels that
                there was insufficient compensation, but I'm not aware of the success
                rate. The government still owns most of the forests around Losie,
                presumably because those cards showed compensation.

                There were two homesteads in Blechnarka in which all 22 residents (14
                children) were executed by the Nazis in 1942. In 1947, during Ackja
                Wisla, the government acquired those properties without compensation,
                because they were "abandoned."

                I suppose that government property managers used other various
                creative accounting techniques to define "abandoned."

                -Jim

                .
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Jim,

                  Granted, it was a poor choice of words (abandoned) for the property in
                  Blechnarka where the Nazis killed all of the inhabitants. However, if
                  no one survived what was the government supposed to do with the
                  land/houses? Who was the government to compensate?

                  Maybe I missed something but if no one claimed the property (excluding
                  the fact Akcja Wisła took place - since there wasn't anyone in
                  Blechnarka to move) by 1947 should it have just sat there being
                  unproductive and destroyed by weather, time and people?

                  Debbie

                  Jim Stamm wrote:
                  >> On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Walt/Gloria Elston wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I wonder if these cards could be used in a future court of law for
                  >>> reparations payments?
                  >
                  > They have been used in reparation hearings ... as evidence for the
                  > defending Polish government that the Lemkos have already received just
                  > compensation for the poor non-subsistence farms that they left
                  > behind. How do they know that they were non-subsistence? Because the
                  > Poles that moved in weren't able to farm the land properly. That, by
                  > the way, is how many of the returning Lemkos were able to regain their
                  > farms. "Give my farm back to me, and I'll build you a new house over
                  > there."
                  >
                  > The Lemkos were given buildings, land, farms, even city flats ... in
                  > the "Western Lands". Some of the farmland was nitrate enhanced ... by
                  > the same bombs that blew out the windows of the farmhouse. The Lemkos
                  > were told that the apartments, abandoned by the "rich" Germans, were
                  > vast improvements over the "barns" that they had to make do with.
                  >
                  > When Stefan Hladyk proved that his grandparents left behind a large
                  > forest tract, The state couldn't show proper compensation, and he
                  > prevailed in court. He still prosecutes some cases when he feels that
                  > there was insufficient compensation, but I'm not aware of the success
                  > rate. The government still owns most of the forests around Losie,
                  > presumably because those cards showed compensation.
                  >
                  > There were two homesteads in Blechnarka in which all 22 residents (14
                  > children) were executed by the Nazis in 1942. In 1947, during Ackja
                  > Wisla, the government acquired those properties without compensation,
                  > because they were "abandoned."
                  >
                  > I suppose that government property managers used other various
                  > creative accounting techniques to define "abandoned."
                  >
                  > -Jim
                • Justin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                    By popular demand, I've uploaded both card images. So early in the morning that I spelled Akcja Wisla wrong but you'll find them I'm sure.

                    If anyone can correct my translation or read that handwriting I'd love the additional information.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                      Thanks Jim for that information. I think that the "reparations" ship has sailed, by and large. I remember somehow hearing that there was a cut-off date for it some years ago.

                      At any rate, I made clear that I am interested in the cards for genealogical purposes only. To my view, maybe one could compensate some amount for a lost horse, a cow, or a hectare of land. But how do you ever compensate for the meaning of these all added together - a lost culture, a way of life? You can't, in any meaningful way, in material terms.

                      Probably the best we can do is to adopt a "never forget" attitude and encourage the governments and peoples of all countries involved to promote the history of the cultures that once flourished within their borders - Lemkos/Ukrainians within Poland and Polish within Ukraine, Jews and Germans in both, etc.

                      Perhaps this is why the "myth of Galicia" - and by myth, I mean something like legendary status - persists among us. There, the Jew and German, Pole and Ukrainian, lived side by side and cultures intermixed in a time of relative peace. I sense that many folks have a historic nostalgia for such an era.

                      Justin

                      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Jim Stamm wrote:

                      > > On Jan 23, 2013, at 6:28 PM, Walt/Gloria Elston wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I wonder if these cards could be used in a future court of law for
                      > > > reparations payments?
                      > >

                      > They have been used in reparation hearings ... as evidence for the
                      > defending Polish government that the Lemkos have already received just
                      > compensation for the poor non-subsistence farms that they left
                      > behind. How do they know that they were non-subsistence? Because the
                      > Poles that moved in weren't able to farm the land properly. That, by
                      > the way, is how many of the returning Lemkos were able to regain their
                      > farms. "Give my farm back to me, and I'll build you a new house over
                      > there."
                      >
                      > The Lemkos were given buildings, land, farms, even city flats ... in
                      > the "Western Lands". Some of the farmland was nitrate enhanced ... by
                      > the same bombs that blew out the windows of the farmhouse. The Lemkos
                      > were told that the apartments, abandoned by the "rich" Germans, were
                      > vast improvements over the "barns" that they had to make do with.
                      >
                      > When Stefan Hladyk proved that his grandparents left behind a large
                      > forest tract, The state couldn't show proper compensation, and he
                      > prevailed in court. He still prosecutes some cases when he feels that
                      > there was insufficient compensation, but I'm not aware of the success
                      > rate. The government still owns most of the forests around Losie,
                      > presumably because those cards showed compensation.
                      >
                      > There were two homesteads in Blechnarka in which all 22 residents (14
                      > children) were executed by the Nazis in 1942. In 1947, during Ackja
                      > Wisla, the government acquired those properties without compensation,
                      > because they were "abandoned."
                      >
                      > I suppose that government property managers used other various
                      > creative accounting techniques to define "abandoned."
                      >
                      > -Jim
                      >

                      > .

                    • Justin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Thank you Philip. And I've also recently discovered that one of my gggg-aunts moved to Ratnawica from Mokre - I have found her family in your transcriptions from the parish register on your site. Thanks so much for this. I will work at filling in some of my family lineage from the data you've provided.

                        Justin

                        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

> [...]
                        > > 1 [Hrynio Pawel, 1926, Son]
                        > > 2 [Hrynio, Michal~, 1929, Son]
                        > > 3 [Hrynio, Katarzyna, 1931, Daughter]
                        > > 4 [Hrynio, Wlodzmierz, 1934, Son]
                        > > Resettled with /delete where appropriate/ -
                        > > He takes with himself the following: horses [1], cows [1], pigs [0], goats [0], sheep [0], and the following dead livestock: [can't read these four words]
                        > > He leaves: Ground - [9] ha, including agricultural land [5] ha., dwelling house [silk material?], barn [0], another type of barn [0], shed [0], pigsty [0].
                        > > Signature of the resettled: [Hrynio Adam]
                        > > Signature of the preparer: [illegible signature]
                        > >
                        > > Obviously, if you find relatives on Philip's transcription of the index, order the cards. Unfortunately these records don't indicate where the people went. There must be another list somewhere with this information.

                      • Jim Stamm
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                          On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

                          > Jim,
                          > Granted, it was a poor choice of words (abandoned) for the property in
                          > Blechnarka where the Nazis killed all of the inhabitants. However, if
                          > no one survived what was the government supposed to do with the
                          > land/houses? Who was the government to compensate?

                          I don't know what the inheritance or property laws are in Poland, but
                          I would guess that there is some sort of heir hierarchy that would be
                          followed in this type of situation.

                          > Maybe I missed something but if no one claimed the property (excluding
                          > the fact Akcja Wisła took place - since there wasn't anyone in
                          > Blechnarka to move) by 1947 should it have just sat there being
                          > unproductive and destroyed by weather, time and people?

                          There were people who stayed in Blechnarka, and there were people who
                          lived nearby who were members of the family. In time it probably
                          would have been claimed. But by then there might have been statutes
                          that would prevent anyone from laying a successful claim to the land.

                          -Jim

> [...]
                          > 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-weight: 700; }
                          > #activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } #activity
                          > span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } #activity span
                          > span { color: #ff7900; } #activity span .underline { text-
                          > decoration: underline; } .attach { clear: both; display: table; font-
                          > family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width:
                          > 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .attach img
                          > { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach label { display:
                          > block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-decoration:
                          > none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-family:
                          > Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-
                          > decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight:
                          > 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana;
                          > font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right:
                          > 0; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }
                          > div.attach-table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title
                          > a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-
                          > decoration: none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active,
                          > div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-
                          > decoration: none; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts
                          > { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight:
                          > normal; } .green { color: #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; }
                          > o { font-size: 0; } #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; }
                          > #photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow:
                          > hidden; width: 62px; } #photos div label { color: #666666; font-
                          > size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space:
                          > nowrap; width: 64px; } #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc
                          > { font-size: 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div
                          > a:first-child { /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right:
                          > 2px; padding-right: 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-
                          > family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small;
                          > *font: x-small; } #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font:
                          > 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial,
                          > Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115%
                          > monospace; *font-size:100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; }
                          > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-
                          > family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE;
                          > font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-
                          > weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; }
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; }
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square;
                          > padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0
                          > 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0
                          > 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-
                          > child { border-right: none !important; } -->
                        • Jim Stamm
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                            On Jan 26, 2013, at 3:47 AM, Justin wrote:

                            > At any rate, I made clear that I am interested in the cards for
                            > genealogical purposes only.

                            This was an insightful thing to do. All to often, when an American
                            researcher shows up at a local "archives", the attendant fears that
                            the person is interested in acquiring property that his grandparents
                            were removed from. Even though genealogical information would
                            probably not be enough to initiate any petition, you can understand
                            that the archivist would not want to be accused of being a part of
                            some Yankee protest.

                            Some Polish residents in the villages are aware that they acquired
                            houses from unwilling citizens. They are even reminded of this by
                            some actions of "American-Lemkos." I have been told that strangers
                            have walked up to Polish doors and announced that, "This is really my
                            property." I agree with your comments about "side by side ...
                            cultures." This is by far more preferable than knee-jerk reactions to
                            unjust historic state actions.

                            -Jim

                            .
                          • Roman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                              Justyn,

                              My comments are sprinkled among yours...

                              Roman

                              > State Repatriation Office District Branch in [Sanok]
                              > [Szczawne Kul.], date [6.V.]1947
                              > Resettlement Card Nr. [5648]
                              > Of [Hrynio Mikol~aj Dymitr(ovich)] born in the year [1904]

                              Ob. = Obywatel = Citizen
                              The item in parentheses specifies that this person be the 'father'.

                              > A resident of the city / village [Morochow], house number [69]

                              Actually, there are two separate items, one for city (crossed out),
                              other for the village.

                              > gmina [Szczawne], powiat [Sanok], is resettled to another place. With him are
                              > resettled the following members of his family:

                              Rather than 'is resettled', the grammar here specifies 'resettles
                              himself', a subtle difference in presentation. The implication is that
                              the person takes on the action rather than following the requirements of
                              others.

                              > No. / Name / Year of Birth / Relationship to the head of the family
                              > 1 [Hrynio Anna, 1905, Wife]
                              > 2 [Hrynio, Wl~odzim., 1934, Son]
                              > 3 [Hrynio, Jan, 1938, Son]
                              > 4 [Hrynio, Katarzyna, 1941, Daughter]
                              > 5 [Hrynio, Maria, 1947, Daughter]
                              > 6 [Hrynio, Anna, 1881, Mother]
                              > Resettled with /delete where appropriate/ -
                              > He takes with himself the following: horses [1], cows [1], pigs [0], goats [2],
                              > sheep [0], and the following dead livestock: [can't read these three words]

                              This is not 'dead livestock'.
                              Inwentarz martwy = farm equipment
                              Pług = plow
                              brana ? = can't come up with the right word
                              war - likely 'towar' or wares

                              > He leaves: Ground - [3.50] ha, including agricultural land [3] ha., dwelling
                              > house [something about trees? hard to read], barn [0], another type of barn [0],
                              > shed [0], pigsty [0].

                              The item is a description of the type of dwelling:

                              Drzewnany (drewnany) kr (likely korona) słomą =
                              Wooden with a thatched roof.

                              > Signature of the resettled: [Hrynio] (in very shaky handwriting)
                              > Signature of the preparer: [illegible signature]
                              >
                              > And the other one:
                              >
                              > State Repatriation Office District Branch in [Sanok]
                              > [Szczawne Kul.], date [5.V.]1947
                              > Resettlement Card Nr. [5778]
                              > Of [Hrynio Adam Pawel(ovich)] born in the year [1887]
                              > A resident of the city / village [Mokre], house number [29]
                              > gmina [Szczawne], powiat [Sanok], is resettled to another place. With him are
                              > resettled the following members of his family:
                              > No. / Name / Year of Birth / Relationship to the head of the family
                              > 1 [Hrynio Pawel, 1926, Son]
                              > 2 [Hrynio, Michal~, 1929, Son]
                              > 3 [Hrynio, Katarzyna, 1931, Daughter]
                              > 4 [Hrynio, Wlodzmierz, 1934, Son]
                              > Resettled with /delete where appropriate/ -
                              > He takes with himself the following: horses [1], cows [1], pigs [0], goats [0],
                              > sheep [0], and the following dead livestock: [can't read these four words]

                              war pług bracy ? sieczkarnia
                              wares are a plow with a chaff-cutter

                              > He leaves: Ground - [9] ha, including agricultural land [5] ha., dwelling house
                              > [silk material?], barn [0], another type of barn [0], shed [0], pigsty [0].

                              The dwelling apparently consists of 'tylko materiał' = only material

                              On 1/26/2013 5:43 AM, Justin wrote:

                              > By popular demand, I've uploaded both card images. So early in the
                              > morning that I spelled Akcja Wisla wrong but you'll find them I'm sure.
                              >
                              > If anyone can correct my translation or read that handwriting I'd love
                              > the additional information.

                            • Edward Sobolewski
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                Just a little help with translation in this section:

                                This is not 'dead livestock'.

                                Inwentarz martwy = farm equipment

                                Pług = plow

                                brana ? = can't come up with the right word

                                war - likely 'towar' or wares

                                The word “brana” is actually “brona” = harrow. Some other translations of brona = comb, currycomb, or portcullis.

                                Edward

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                  On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Roman wrote:

                                  > war pług bracy ? sieczkarnia
                                  > wares are a plow with a chaff-cutter

                                  A linguistic diversion: is 'sieczkarnia' maybe a 'sickle'?

                                  Curious,
                                • Roman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                    Phil,

                                    A sickle is a 'sierp'.

                                    Check out

                                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_cutter

                                    You will see the difference! And the color image of the 'manual chaff
                                    cutter' is most likely of Polish origin.

                                    Roman

                                    On 1/26/2013 4:58 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

                                    > On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Roman wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> war pług bracy ? sieczkarnia
                                    >> wares are a plow with a chaff-cutter
                                    >
                                    > A linguistic diversion: is 'sieczkarnia' maybe a 'sickle'?
                                    >
                                    > Curious,

                                  • Edward Sobolewski
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 26, 2013
                                      No, sieczkarnia is a larger stationary machine, it is definitely the chaff-cutter. It was used widely before the combine-harvester was introduced in modern times. It had limited capabilities, and loading and unloading was done by hand. Also it could not cut the grains in the field as combine does. That was done using kosiarka, mower, or scythe which in Polish is kosa. Before the use of sieczkarnia, the peasant were using cep, flail or blockhead.

                                      The sickle means sierp, a hand held version of a scythe.

                                      Edward

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 27, 2013
                                        On Jan 26, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Roman wrote:

                                        > Phil,
                                        >
                                        > A sickle is a 'sierp'.
                                        >
                                        > Check out
                                        >
                                        >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_cutter
                                        >
                                        > You will see the difference! And the color image of the 'manual chaff
                                        > cutter' is most likely of Polish origin.

                                        Thanks Edward and Roman for setting me straight. I was going for 'sieczkarnia' = 'sickle' based on the similarity of the words, which shows how far that kind of thinking will get you!

                                        > On 1/26/2013 4:58 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
                                        >>

                                        >> On Jan 26, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Roman wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> war pług bracy ? sieczkarnia
                                        >>> wares are a plow with a chaff-cutter
                                        >>
                                        >> A linguistic diversion: is 'sieczkarnia' maybe a 'sickle'?
                                        >>
                                        >> Curious,

                                      • Justin
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 28, 2013
                                          Thanks to Roman and Ed for the clarifications with these cards!!! I really appreciate it.