Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Assistance please

  • Josephine Christopher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2013
      Kate ,
      I wonder if the ending of the birthplace could be  ??? Gora [word for mountain] as in Jelenia Gora for example can't think of any others at the moment .
      Jo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
        Kate,

        I looked up the name Konieczko at herby.com.pl and found 3 instances of the name located in Bielsko-Biała province, SW of Krakow. This resource charts modern location of surnames, which is helpful only if your great uncle's family did not move since the time he emigrated.

        I offer it as a possibility, a place to start.

        Herby.com.pl also lists 2 other possibilities: Konieczkowski and Konieczkowicz, which are more common.

        Larry

        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, Josephine Christopher wrote:

        > Kate ,
        > I wonder if the ending of the birthplace could be  ??? Gora [word for mountain] as in Jelenia Gora for example can't think of any others at the moment .
        > Jo
        >

        > ________________________________

      • mary osborne
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2013
          Hi Kate,

          If I were you, I would explore the possibility that Bonzura may be Baczyna.  There are several of them in Poland, according to Google Maps. Of course, it is a verrrrrry long shot.

          I got there by assuming the draft card spelling was phonetic.  I don't speak Polish but have been trying--that's quite a laugh!--to learn some Polish.  I broke Bonzura into pieces:

          B -- I think it is a B
          on  --  the Polish a with a squiggle on the bottom sounds like on
          z --  cz is more commonly used than a plain z, and the sounds are similar--to me, at least
          ou -- ou, ih - both are small, transitioning vowel sounds
          ra  --  to me ra with the rolled r sounds a bit like na.  In any case, Polish word endings drive me bananas so I have developed the bad habit of paying little attention to them.

          Now perhaps a person who is fluent in both Polish and English will critique my efforts?

          You might try going to this website and searching for the first part of the name--Baczy--to see what other villages might fit the bill.

          http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

          Good luck in your quest.

          Mary

        • j.zytka
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
            Hi Kate,

            If your relative was born in 19th century is there a possibility that his place of birth is no longer on Polish territory? Is the region of his place of birth determined?

            I tried to figure out Polish and American sounds which could be mistaken. As a part of words "on" is spelled the same as "±".

            Following an advice to think of the latter part as "góra" I've found a village named B±kowa Góra.

            I enclose also a list of villages in Poland you may find useful.
            http://www.swiat-noclegow.pl/miejscowosci/