Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Re: Follow up work with SEZAM

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012
      On Dec 29, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Justin wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > Poland Archives may have these but I'm almost certain that the Ukrainian Archives have the lists of those resettled and that Philip has looked at them in the L'viv oblast archive. He can probably comment on this in more detail.

      Yes, the regional/oblast archive has resettlement records. Most of what I know about them is from inference since I never managed to have a coherent conversation with anyone about these records. Mostly that's a result of me being a scatterbrain in the archive.

      I have an example of the resettlement record I got for my cousin's family:
      http://semanchuk.com/philip/temp/relocation1.jpg

      My interpreter/researcher was also told that, "The list of people expelled from Poland was received from the Labor Ministry in Kyiv."

      I guess the Labor Ministry created these records so that it could find work for these new citizens, so I assume that only families resettled to Ukraine appear in these records. It would be nice to know what years these records cover. The Polish records seem to be broken up into chunks related to the waves of resettlement. I wonder if the records in the L'viv oblast archive represent all families resettled from 1945 onwards, or if they only cover 1946, or...?

      FWIW, the interpreter/researcher I worked with is willing to do lookups of these resettlement records in the oblast archive, but I'm not sure what his fee is.

      > On another note I've ordered the two Akcja Wisla cards (1947) for my Hrynio relatives so I'll report back to the list on what they contain once they arrive.

      I look forward to hearing about this.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012
        Philip et al,

        Has anyone contacted Brian Lenius or Matthew Bielawa with regards to
        what is held at the different archives in Ukraine? I know they both
        have been to Ukraine a few times and are very knowledgeable about the
        holdings.

        Brian Lenius: http://www.lenius.ca/Gazetteer/Gazetteer.htm
        Matthew Bielawa, Halgal Site: http://www.halgal.com/

      • larrybell.cny@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2013

          I can make out just enough to see great potential. Have you translated it? Does it give you the information you were looking for?

          Larry

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
            On Dec 30, 2012, at 5:55 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

            > Philip et al,
            >
            > Has anyone contacted Brian Lenius or Matthew Bielawa with regards to
            > what is held at the different archives in Ukraine? I know they both
            > have been to Ukraine a few times and are very knowledgeable about the
            > holdings.
            >
            > Brian Lenius: http://www.lenius.ca/Gazetteer/Gazetteer.htm
            > Matthew Bielawa, Halgal Site: http://www.halgal.com/

            Hi Debbie,
            I haven't, and it's a good idea. Unless someone else volunteers to contact them, I'll do it.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
              On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:32 PM, larrybell.cny@... wrote:

              > Philip,
              >
              > I can make out just enough to see great potential. Have you translated it? Does it give you the information you were looking for?

              Hi Larry,
              I have translated it/had it translated. (Actually a kind BT list member translated a bunch of it for me without even being asked to do so.)

              I wasn't really looking for anything in particular -- on the same trip where I got this document, I met with one of the people listed on it (my cousin Maria) so the document didn't tell me much I couldn't learn from a first person witness. Nevertheless, documentation is always appreciated, and it was good to go over it with my cousin and sort out who was who.

              I have a scribbly translation somewhere. I'll dig it up, formalize it and post it somewhere and of course let y'all know when I do.