Re: waniejczyk - greetings & questions

  • thephillyfly
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2012
      Justin,

      I appreciate your offer for information on Nieczysty relatives -- it would be interesting to see, thanks. Though I have no current exact connection between Waniejczyk and Nieczysty, perhaps it will become clear in the future.

      There were multiple Waniejczyk emigrants to the Minersville area, some of whom I have not yet managed to connect to the rest.

      Thanks for the reply and info!

      -Rob

    • larrybell.cny@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2012
        Rob,

        You never know what you might find.

        Our family is from Wola Se~kowa, which was almost totally destroyed during the war. Some of the town has now been rebuilt, but nothing is the same. There are now 200 where once there was over 1000. The Greek Catholic Lemko population has been resettled. So what is left to see?

        The first day we were there, we found a roadside monument with the Piech family name. The Piech family is long gone, but the monument remains. We drove down the road a ways and found a roadside chapel built as a sacrifice by the emigrants to America in 1907. We went back to a neglected Greek Catholic cemetery and found another Piech monument, this time in Cyrillic. All on the first day.

        We actually stayed in the guesthouse of the baron whom our grandparents worked for: Dwor Wola Sekowa.

        The Piech family is gone, but we still have Luczynski cousins who we met and enjoyed a pleasant evening together.

        Another day we walked up the hill where part of the town once stood, but now is cow pasture. And guess what? There was another Piech roadside monument.

        It was a very worthwhile trip, even though there was "nothing left." Who knew that Poland has a rich and vibrant culture going back hundreds of years? We spent a week in Krakow. We would not have anticipated the graciousness of the people and richness of the culture unless we had experienced it firsthand.

        Here are 2 photo albums from our trip:

        Larry