Re: Help with Reading Manifest for Ivan Sidor

  • Sherri
    Message 1 of 37 , May 9, 2012
      Hi Larry,

      I am using a list called "Lemko Village Resource Guide" at
      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/ <http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/>
      . There are over 350 villages which existed in 1780-something and the
      names of families which lived in those parishes at the time. Then
      there's the current Rusyn & Polish spellings of the villages as well as
      which church district they now belong to. Most have a short blurb about
      the name of the local church & what happened to it over time. Most also
      have a head count of number of Greek Catholics, Roman Catholics, and
      Jews total, with some villages noting the head count every 20 years or
      so.

      I became fascinated with trying to track down the spellings of
      Socker/Sachar/Szachar and Seedor/Sidor/Sydor as the male lineages in my
      family. I was also looking for maternal names Stashitsky [mutiple
      possible variations] and Barnetsky/Barniecki. 230 years ago, those
      spellings could have been vastly different and then evolved and mutated.
      It's fascinating to watch and conjure.

      Thank you for your kind offer in Syracuse, but I'm not quite ready to
      move on with that branch till I get more info or clues.

      Sherri

      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, larrybell.cny@... wrote:

      > Hi Sherri,
      >
      > Progress is sometimes slow, 2 steps forward and 1 back.
      >
      > Where did you find the cadastral maps? I ordered some from Przemys~l
      but haven't heard anything back. Do you have another source?

      > I live an hour from Syracuse, so I could check the records here
      sometime if that would help you.

      > Larry
      >

      > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Sherri" sherrisarts@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Mary,
      > >
      > > None of these details seem to match my family members,
      unfortunately.
      > > Nobody went to the Pittsburgh area or New Jersey or Buffalo. John's
      > > farm was near Syracuse, NY. Dmitro returned to the US in December
      1913
      > > & must have died soon after, as my notes say c.1913. His wife Tekla
      > > must have gone back home for a few years with two very young
      children
      > > and returned again in 1916, only to die heself in 1918. What a sad
      > > tale. Maybe the influenza pandemic?
      > >
      > > Dmitro was traveling with a "ward", Fran Chrin, a 14 yo male of
      mother
      > > Mary Chrin of Kulaszne. Was that typical to be noted on a manifest?
      > > Did that mean he was likely to "adopt" the boy? I guess it didn't
      > > matter much because his 2 or 3 children were soon enough orphans,
      and
      > > who knows what happened to them?
      > >
      > > What is the likelihood of people with the same surname who were from
      the
      > > same tiny dot of a village being related? I've been going thru the
      > > Lemko Cadastral records from 1780s & hit the bullseye with another
      > > village, Shchavne [Ru] Szczawne [Polish], of the current Sanok
      district
      > > with at least four different family names that are familiar, plus I
      > > noted it lurking on one of the manifests.
      > >
      > > Thank you for deciphering that handwriting. I was having problems
      with
      > > getting matching first and second pages from Ellis Island too.
      > >
      > > Sherri
      > >

      > > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, mary osborne
      > > <marykosborne@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Sherri,
      > > > All the detail listed below boils down to Charleroi, PA, and
      > > > Salamanca, NY, as the destinations you could not read. I am
      certain
      > > I have read them
      > > > correctly. The key is to know the names before you try to read
      them!
      > > :-)
      > > > ------------------
      > > > Metro Sidor, age 35, arrived Dec. 23, 1898, going to an
      > > > unnamed brother-in-law in Charleroi, PA. (Charleroi is south of
      > > Pittsburgh.)
      > > > ----------------
      > > > Iwan Sidor, age 26, arrived April 27, 1910, from father
      > > > Fedor Sidor, going to Salamanca, NY. (
      > > > Salamanca is south of Buffalo, NY, close to the Pennsylvania
      border.)
      > > The second manifest page shown on Ancestry.com does not appear to be
      > > for the same
      > > > person. It says he was going to his
      > > > brother Stefan Szkwarel/Szkivarel? of Detroit , Mich., Hapbrey?
      84. I
      > > could not find his secondmanifest page on
      > > > the Ellis Island website.
      > > >

      > > > Filip Winiarz, age 36, was supposed to arrive April 27, 1910, from
      > > wife Katarzyna Winiarz,
      > > > going to .... Newark? On Ancestry.com the second page says he had
      > > been in Salamanca from 1904
      > > > to 1909. He was supposed to go to cousin Alex S...zylock? of
      Salamanca
      > > .... His name was crossed off the manifest. I could not find the
      > > second page of the
      > > > manifest on the Ellis Island website. Ellis Island does show that
      he
      > > apparently was one of the ocean yoyoes because it looks as though he
      > > may be the same
      > > > person who arrived at Ellis Island on March 10, 1907.
      > > >

      > > > Daniel Sidor, age 26, arrived April 27, 1910, from his wife to
      > > Newark, NJ. On
      > > > Ancestry.com the second page says he was going to cousin Jan
      > > Krol?/Krot? of Wjersey?
      > > > (New Jersey, I presume), Newark, Pacific ...4 . I'm not convinced
      > > this second manifest page is
      > > > for the right person. I couldn't find
      > > > his second page on the Ellis Island website.
      > > > The other Iwan Sidor, age 24, arrived March 24, 1908, from
      > > > his wife Kasia Sidor to Whippany, NY (but it has to be NJ) going
      > > his brother-in-law Lukasz Rowik/Kowik? (more
      > > > likely Kowik--look at the K in his wife's name Kasia).

    • Justin
      Message 37 of 37 , May 12, 2012
        Sherri,

        None of this rings a bell, although certainly Frackville/Minersville is where a lot of these people went. I've never seen the spelling Sztaszicski for this family, so I'm not sure if it is the same family. It could be, I just don't know. The ones I know of lived in Zawadka Morochowska.

        Justin