Kwartalnik - December 2011 issue

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2012
      Finally, the last issue for 2011 of the Bukowsko gmina magazine,
      "Kwartalnik" is online.

      http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery
      click on Numer 4(28)/2011

      The front cover has a picture of the elementary school in Bukowsko.

      The first story tells of a celebration of the 115th year anniversary
      of the Nadolany Fire Department.

      Lots of photos showing the improvements taking place in the gmina.

      Lots of names in the article on page 9 about local musicians.

      Page 11 has the story (and photo) about Maria Podgo~rska who turned
      100 years old on November 20, 2011.

      Page 12 talks about the necessity of gathering historical information
      in order to write the history of Nowotaniec. Apparently there is
      information all over the place including in Wrocl~aw, Krako~w and Lwo~w.

      Page 14 has an article which talks about our own, Robert Koczera
      (English teacher at St. Jana Pawl~a II school in Pobiedno) and the
      project he is affiliated with, "LIFELONG LEARNING LIFE". I am hoping
      someone who reads Polish well can give me a better translation of the
      organization's name and a description of what they do.

      Page 22 talks about the Karliko~w ski lift and the additions to the
      ski lift area.

      The back page of the magazine shows the family of Maria Podgo~rska
      during her 100th birthday celebration in Bukowsko.

      Even if you can't read Polish always look for familiar surnames in the
      captions and in the articles. Oh, Google Translate does a pretty good
      job of translating the text. You can just cut and paste into Google
      translate.

      The home page for gmina Bukowsko can be found here:
      http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1

      Debbie
    • Roman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2012

        The COMENIUS program is part of an educational endeavor managed by the
        EACEA (Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency) of the
        European Commission. You can find out all about it by visiting the
        following sites:

        > http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/about/about_eacea_en.php
        > http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/llp/index_en.php

        The actual translation of the title you mention below is 'Lifelong
        Learning'.

        The school hosted a 4-day visit of program representatives from
        different European Union countries.

        Cheers,

        Roman

        On 3/3/2012 9:35 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

        > Finally, the last issue for 2011 of the Bukowsko gmina magazine,
        > "Kwartalnik" is online.
        >
        > http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery
        > <http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=pl_numery_archiwalne&tytul=Numery>
        > click on Numer 4(28)/2011
        >
        > The front cover has a picture of the elementary school in Bukowsko.
        >
        > The first story tells of a celebration of the 115th year anniversary
        > of the Nadolany Fire Department.
        >
        > Lots of photos showing the improvements taking place in the gmina.
        >
        > Lots of names in the article on page 9 about local musicians.
        >
        > Page 11 has the story (and photo) about Maria Podgo~rska who turned
        > 100 years old on November 20, 2011.
        >
        > Page 12 talks about the necessity of gathering historical information
        > in order to write the history of Nowotaniec. Apparently there is
        > information all over the place including in Wrocl~aw, Krako~w and Lwo~w.
        >
        > Page 14 has an article which talks about our own, Robert Koczera
        > (English teacher at St. Jana Pawl~a II school in Pobiedno) and the
        > project he is affiliated with, "LIFELONG LEARNING LIFE". I am hoping
        > someone who reads Polish well can give me a better translation of the
        > organization's name and a description of what they do.
        >
        > Page 22 talks about the Karliko~w ski lift and the additions to the
        > ski lift area.
        >
        > The back page of the magazine shows the family of Maria Podgo~rska
        > during her 100th birthday celebration in Bukowsko.
        >
        > Even if you can't read Polish always look for familiar surnames in the
        > captions and in the articles. Oh, Google Translate does a pretty good
        > job of translating the text. You can just cut and paste into Google
        > translate.
        >
        > The home page for gmina Bukowsko can be found here:
        > http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1
        > <http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1>
        >
        > Debbie

      • Roman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2012
          Debbie might mention that some of the humor found in the Kwartalnik is
          international in scope, namely,

          "Jak jest ulubiona kolęda świeżo upieczonych rodziców? Cicha noc."

          What carol is a favorite of 'newly-baked' parents? Silent Night.

          I especially like the literal translation of the Polish idiom for
          parents of a newborn baby.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2012
            Thanks Roman,

            Robert Koczera has given me pamphlets about this program and I know
            the members (form other countries as well) visit other countries.

            I also know Robert's group was instrumental in clearing and marking
            paths in the area (Zboiska was one I think). I will probably have a
            much better understanding of this when I visit next fall.

            Debbie